Nobody "Hates On" Fighters

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Blackjack, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Black Belt

There has been a disturbing trend of people on this forum writing about "hating on" a fighter. There is no such thing as "hating on" a fighter. One doesn't hate "on" a fighter; he hates the fighter. The "on" is awkward sounding and nonsensical. It's no better than saying one "likes on" a fighter. Who taught you to add the word "on", just out of curiosity? You're typing more words than you need to by adding the word "on" and it doesn't even make sense.

I hope this doesn't come across as an attempt to insult your writing; I'm just pointing out something you could easily change that would improve your writing. The internet is an odd place because we don't hear each other speak and we don't see each other when they speak so everything from tone of voice to facial expressions gets lost. You may have a good appearance but on the internet that also will not help the image others have of you, no matter how well you dress. The only thing you do have to create either a good image or a poor image for yourself is in how well you use language. The only thing upon which people will judge your class, your intellect and overall competence is by how well you write when you use internet forums. That's why knowing how to properly use the English language is more important in internet forums than it is in real life in which you have many other factors which influence the opinion others form of you.

MMAart and TM C like this.
  2. Kyler Ruxin

Kyler Ruxin Pabst Powered Fuck Machine

This thread is gonna get hated on.

Andretti, 105, pamirec and 37 others like this.
  3. x420xTicaLx421x

x420xTicaLx421x Decade of Stuntin on you SherTurds

No you're wrong. I don't Hate a fighter but I'll Hate on them. Don't tell me how to live my life flunky.

Hating a fighter = Genuine dislike.
    Hating ON a fighter = maybe Hating his skill set/the way they promote etc.

See I hate on GSP for his ability to make me fall asleep quicker than some nyquil and a shot of scotch. But in no way do I Hate GSP the person.

what-wut, 105, Cynic Man and 4 others like this.
  4. Verace

Verace Gold Belt

The last thing i expected to see here today was a grammar lesson.

TS people here love the diaz brothers and bitchyhara.

The last thing we are worried about is the correct use of the english language

5. KingKali

KingKali Green Belt

Why do they call it taking a shit when you are really leaving a shit?

6. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

neil_totally likes this.
  7. You should probably get a hobby or something.

SuperLuigi and HNIC215 like this.
  8. reddhelium

reddhelium Black Belt

they're there in their room

105, MMAart, vᴀᴀʀ. and 2 others like this.
  9. Essie

Essie fuck Platinum Member

I thought this was a thread about a new fighter named Nobody Fighters with the nicknamed "Hates On". Very disappointed.

no homo likes this.
  10. Zefram Cochrane

Zefram Cochrane Follow me on Pictogram

On-haters gonna on-hate

11. MonkeyGirl

MonkeyGirl Awesomeness Belt

Do you realize that many people here have English as a second language and those mistakes are common?

[​IMG]

Bonesy1116 likes this.
  12. STRAWBOSS

STRAWBOSS MASTER SUGAR RIMMER

H8

no homo likes this.
  13. Darkart

Darkart Brown Belt

As a typical Sherdogger who hates ON fighters regularly, I do not appreciate you hating ON me by accusing me of hating fighters. There is no fighter I hate, but I hate ON them regularly, like I always hate ON Jon Jones, but I do not hate him, in fact I find his life very entertaining and hope he makes it back into MMA and does not end up in prison or dead.
    [​IMG]

14. Blackjack

Blackjack Black Belt

Again, I hope this doesn't come across as an attempt to insult you or your writing; I'm just pointing out something you could easily change that would improve your writing. Have people become so cynical in this age that it's inconceivable that somebody you don;t even know could just try to help you with something you're doing wrong?

The only thing you have on the internet to create either a good or a bad image for yourself is correct use of language! On the internet nobody knows how you look or how you dress. They don;t know what type o car you drive, whether you live in a good neighborhood or a slum. The tone in which you speak, your facial expressions, your body language all count for nothing on the internet! People will judge your class, your education and your intelligence all based upon what you write! Why is that a surprise to you?

15. Unbanned_unreformed

Unbanned_unreformed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I hate Conor,I also hate anyone who doesn't hate Conor.

16. HNIC215

HNIC215 Guest

What a waste of a thread...

If you don't know slang, you should get some more friends.

People don't need to have informal conversations with perfect English.

You must be a lot of fun in real life. Lol

pamirec likes this.
  17. PreDaToRTacTiCs

PreDaToRTacTiCs Purple Belt

Hating a fighter is different then hating on them. "Hating on" is used when one is shitting on a specific thing a fighter did or said while hating a fighter is completely different. I don't hate any fighters, but I'll hate on their actions if need be.

18. Blackjack

Blackjack Black Belt

Suppose you came across someone who was using your language in a way that made no sense. If you just tried to help the person by pointing out the mistake he or she made, wouldn't that be a nice thing to do? After all, you could just let the person keep on making a fool of himself and it wouldn't affect your life at all.

19. MonkeyGirl

MonkeyGirl Awesomeness Belt

It would be fine, but that wasn't your post goal.
    I am more than happy when someone point out a mistake I did as is a learning process. I am not happy when people point fingers at others, making fun even of their educational level due to a misspelling mistake.

Jackonfire likes this.
  20. Blackjack

Blackjack Black Belt

There ia a simple and correct way to express that. You would say "I hate what he's doing" or "I hate it when he does that." It reminds me of something you've no doubt heard before and it goes like this: "I don't hate you; I hate what you did." That's the correct way to express that sentiment. You could stubbornly decide to say "I don;t hate you; I hate on what you did" but why would you or anyone else be so determined to be wrong? What is the benefit you think you get from being determined to do things the wrong way?