Nobody "Hates On" Fighters

You're so used to people having no regard for their fellow man that you can't recognize a good deed when you see it! If I were trolling, what profit would there have been in it for me?

I realize that random acts of kindness are rare these days so I deliberately prefaced my post with an explanation of my intent. You seem hell bent on making me out to be someone out to hurt people's feelings, but I deliberately started this thread instead of replying to a post that had the error I was correcting because I didn't want to embarrass anyone by singling him or her out in from of the rest of the forum. Did you ever think about that?

*Clapping*

To "hate on X" is not the same as "to hate X".

One can hate somebody or something secretly, for example, which is just having an emotion, but to "hate on" somebody or something involves actually making derogatory or hateful expressions about somebody or something.

This is a different thing, and contrary to the claim of TS about the phrase "hate on", the phrase is actually a very economical expression, not an unnecessarily wordy one.

Compare:

A. "SeverianB, why are you always writing in a hateful manner about Karolina Kowalkiewicz?"
B. "SeverianB, why are you always hating on Karolina Kowalkiewicz?

And note that there is a tone difference between A. and B.
A. has a stuffy and formal tone, out of place in the setting of a forum such as Sherdog.
B. has a more casual and informal tone, more suitable for a setting such as a forum like Sherdog.

I appreciate you putting thought into the above reply of yours. I understand the point you are trying to make and on the surface it seems to be logical. However, and this is a crucial concept to remember, no matter how logical an idea may seem to be, it's worthless of the premise which it is based upon is false.

Hate is a very strong word. So even if it were grammatically correct to use the phrase "hate on", the word hate is a poor choice of words in the example you gave. You offered up the following to choices to allow me to choose the one that I think is correct:
A. "SeverianB, why are you always writing in a hateful manner about Karolina Kowalkiewicz?"
B. "SeverianB, why are you always hating on Karolina Kowalkiewicz?

I would like to suggest a few other options - ones that are neither overly wordy or stuffy but ones that are still grammatically correct.

C. SeverianB, why are you so critical of Karolina Kowalkiewicz?

D. SeverianB, why are you so judgmental towards Karolina Kowalkiewicz?

E. SeverianB, why are your opinions on Karolina Kowalkiewicz so negative, so scathing?

F. SeverianB, what do you have against Karolina Kowalkiewicz?

I like my english to be as gramatically correct as possible, so I appreciate your input. Like I said before, I didn't know any better, and I'm pretty much an autodidact.

Well, at least I've already gotten rid of "to try and (something)" :p

That's excellent! What is your native language?

I actually like when Sherdog improves my English grammar. Thanks, TS.

What if I get to mount position on Tim Kennedy (no homo) ? Can I hate ON him?

I dunno TS. I just don't think anyone is going to listen on you.

And BTW for everyone asking, "hating on" is a very recently emerging idiom, and is completely fine to use colloquially. Don't use it in a formal writing setting.

It's not agrammatical; TS is wrong about that.

"On" is a preposition; in certain contexts it means in regards to a certain topic, e.g. "a book on constitutional law."

"Hating on" is a perfectly fine use of the word "on," where it is a prepositional marker to denote the subject of the hating. However, in the usual sense of the word "hating," the "on" is merely redundant, but not agrammatical. For this reason, it was never used as it was unnecessary. The addition of "on" to form the idiom, however, changes the meaning. Whereas "hating" connotes actual, intense dislike, "hating on" connotes an expression of dislike not accompanied by the same truly felt emotion. The addition of "on" therefore isn't used redundantly in this expression because it does mark a different meaning in modern American (and British?) English.

Last edited:
I'm bothered by the threadstarter displaying atrocious grammar and spelling throughout this thread while posting as if he's intellectually superior to everyone else in the thread.

When I do it, I at least have the decency to spell/grammar check before doing hitting the 'post reply' icon, because I respect my sherbros.

Why would you want to be common? I can assure you there's nothing common about me. Common is defined as showing a lack of taste a refinement and you're absolutely right that "hating on" is pretty common slang.

We're both "retarded"? Please define retarded. I don't think it means what you think it means. When in doubt don't use a word you don't understand. That type of behavior has a way of backfiring on one in a most embarrassing way.

it's sherdog man. you're retarded in the way that someone calls someone retarded when they say something retarded.

lol at defining common.....wtf are you on about.

You bet stop using english since it's so common.

it's sherdog man. you're retarded in the way that someone calls someone retarded when they say something retarded.

lol at defining common.....wtf are you on about.

You bet stop using english since it's so common.

I believe I said to define retarded. You replied with something three times longer than it needed to be and still didn't accomplish that one simple thing.

The way that you dropped the ball on that relatively simple request is, ironically enough, something that would be described by you as "retarded." You see, the way you use the word retarded is as if the definition for it could be: Characterized by abject failure to handle simple requests in a competent manner as well as spending an inordinate amount of time and energy to perform a fairly simple task and still failing despite all that.

The above is what you think the definition of retarded is. however, you're mistaken. You're ignorant to the definition of the word retarded. I'm not sure if that helps you understand your problem though since you may not know what ignorant means although I'm quite sure you think you know what it means.

I'm going go go out on a limb and say that I doubt you ever earned a college degree except for possibly a two year degree from a community college and that's being optimistic. Not ice I'm not going to call you retarded, and I'm not going to call you an imbecile, or make crude jokes at your expense, because that's not my style. If I've posted anything at all in this thread that you consider a personal insult aimed at you, I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

The things is, I started this thread with the intent to help people with no profit in it for me, with no reward expected for successfully doing a good deed other than the personal satisfaction I get from helping people. Unfortunately what I found is that Sherdog is comprised largely of the type pf people who stubbornly refuse to accept free help no matter how badly they are in need of it. In fact, the worse they need help, the more determined they are to push away the person offering it. There is a word to describe someone who does that but quite frankly, I'm no longer in the mood to offer free help to strangers. I've done more than my share of random acts of kindness for this week.

Last edited:
I believe I said to define retarded. You replied with something three times longer than it needed to be and still didn't accomplish that one simple thing.

The way that you dropped the ball on that relatively simple request is, ironically enough, something that would be described by you as "retarded." You see, the way you use the word retarded is as if the definition for it could be: Characterized by abject failure to handle simple requests in a competent manner as well as spending an inordinate amount of time and energy ti perform a fairly simple task and still failing despite all that.

The above is what you think the definition of retarded is. however, you're mistaken. You're ignorant to the definition of the word retarded. I'm not sure if that helps you understand your problem though since you may not know what ignorant means although I'm quite sure you think you know what it means.

I'm going go go out on a limb and say that I doubt you ever earned a college degree except for possibly a two year degree from a community college and that's being optimistic. Not ice I'm not going to call you retarded, and I'm not going to call you an imbecile, or make crude jokes at your expense, because that's not my style. If I've posted anything at all in this thread that you consider a personal insult aimed at you, I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

The things is, I started this thread with the intent to help people with no profit in it for me, with no reward expected for successfully doing a good deed other than the personal satisfaction I get from helping people. Unfortunately what I found is that Sherdog is comprised largely of the type pf people who stubbornly refuse to accept free help no matter how badly they are in need of it. In fact, the worse they need help, the more determined they are to push oath person offering it. There is a word to describe someone who does that but quite frankly, I'm no longer in the mood to offer free help to strangers. I've done more than my share of random acts of kindness for this week.

wrong....i graduated Cum Loud and have been a professional engineer for 15 years and own my own business.

thanks for playing. continue being a grammar nazi and ratard. most educated people don't have time for such nonsense.

wrong....i graduated Cum Loud and have been a professional engineer for 15 years and own my own business.

You graduated Cum Loud? Do you know what the English translation of that is?

Isn't it kind of like the difference between "acting like a bitch" and "being a bitch?"

I dunno TS. I just don't think anyone is going to listen on you.

And BTW for everyone asking, "hating on" is a very recently emerging idiom, and is completely fine to use colloquially. Don't use it in a formal writing setting.

It's not agrammatical; TS is wrong about that.

"On" is a preposition; in certain contexts it means in regards to a certain topic, e.g. "a book on constitutional law."

"Hating on" is a perfectly fine use of the word "on," where it is a prepositional marker to denote the subject of the hating. However, in the usual sense of the word "hating," the "on" is merely redundant, but not agrammatical. For this reason, it was never used as it was unnecessary. The addition of "on" to form the idiom, however, changes the meaning. Whereas "hating" connotes actual, intense dislike, "hating on" connotes an expression of dislike not accompanied by the same truly felt emotion. The addition of "on" therefore isn't used redundantly in this expression because it does mark a different meaning in modern American (and British?) English.

If you're convinced "hating on" is a perfectly fine use of the word "on", then use it in formal situations. If you're not convinced, and what you mean to say is "dislike", then use that word.

If you think adding the word "on' connotes a lessened intensity of emotion, try adding "loving on" to your vocabulary and see how well that works out for you. The word "on" doesn't mean and never has denoted lessened intensity of the preceding word. If it did, then "loving on" would mean liking.

It's disgusting how many people only speak one language - their native language - and aren't even proficient at it. If you've got any pride in yourself at all, if you want to be taken seriously at all, educate yourself so you don't butcher your own language.

If you're convinced "hating on" is a perfectly fine use of the word "on", then use it in formal situations. If you're not convinced, and what you mean to say is "dislike", then use that word.

If you think adding the word "on' connotes a lessened intensity of emotion, try adding "loving on" to your vocabulary and see how well that works out for you. The word "on" doesn't mean and never has denoted lessened intensity of the preceding word. If it did, then "loving on" would mean liking.

It's disgusting how many people only speak one language - their native language - and aren't even proficient at it. If you've got any pride in yourself at all, if you want to be taken seriously at all, educate yourself so you don't butcher your own language.
Two words into your post, you use a contraction that I wouldn't use in formal writing either.

"Loving on," ironically, is another idiom that means a variety of things depending on the context. Maybe you should worry less about whether non-native speakers can understand us, and worry more about yourself being out of touch with modern English idioms. It seems to be hindering your communication skills and causing you frustration.

If you're trying to say I am not a proficient English writer, I think most anyone who's read my posts would disagree.

Back