No Gi

I one the other hand would only buy the Brazilian brand and totality back UK with his ideas. Makes sense to me.

The only people that control copyrights to WORDS are large corporations like walmart. They will seue anyone trying to use the same name on American soil. Copyrights do not go as far as international law, there is no such thing... Nogi is a commonly used name, what is a class called when you train bjj without a gi on???? DONT SAY IT.. THATS COPY RIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!!! WATCH IT.. SOMEONE CALL THE COPS!

If nogi usa has a problem with it, let their products do the talking, not this complaining from a couple of internet warlords. They are not stealing business from anyone, if anything Like UK said they are bringing more customers to him. Like the original poster asked

LOL! At all this and LOL even more about us making more money or getting more hits from them. We have had plenty of hits since day one. Not because Vitor lost to Tito wearing their shorts or because of the Chute Box guy getting KOed by Gomi but more from Guys like Jeff Monson winning the heavy weight World Championships at ADCC, or guys like Ricco Rodriguez or me winning our fight in Hawaii 2 weeks ago. I know they have money, but do you really think the guys wearing their stuff would be wearing it first choice or maybe because they are being paid well to wear it? I understand there are guys out there looking for a pair of shorts that have the name on it 6 times but we are not them. We have sleek, low pro, 100% sick quality shorts, tagless HIGH quality shirts, and we back it 100%. They know we were here first. I know we were here first, and I am pretty sure everyone here even the UK selling it heard of us first. I am also sure they have more money than we do but again that gives ZERO rights to them as far as legalitys go. I agree it is worse that one of the owners is an attorney and they are still doing it but o'well. We have an attorney too does that make us right? No... the fact that I wore NOGI in Bushido 1 and Sponsored Grapplers Quest West in November 2003 does though. It will all come out in the end and we will just keep pluggin along putting out great quality shorts and other products.

Thank you for all your support and UK guy I find it hard to believe that you know all the right stories when you have never spoken to me. Sounds like you have one side of a story from a Brazilian guy that ownes a company that wants you to sell his stuff.

Good luck in you endevours.

NOGI USA!!!

oooo a post from the man himself.

I'll continue to support NoGi USA. I have nothing against the products of another company, but if someone started a "Sprawl Mexico" then I'd be upset with that too.

Just my oppinion.

~Foz

With the greatest possible respect Chris; my point is this and is the mirror to what you yourself have stated. Ever since NoGi was mentioned on Sherdog, the only perspective that has come from people posting on Sherdog has been negative towards the Brazilian company. People have posted that their products are fake and of poor quality let alone their motives for using the name.

I have chosed to defend their products as they are NOT low quality, they are not 'fake' (i.e. copies of existing products). As for the motive and background to Julio taking the name NoGi, I have no idea but rest assured we have asked him and as soon as we hear the answer, I will make it known.

If you are truely that motivated towards making the name NoGI yours, then pursue international copyright/trademark of it. This is what Gameness are doing and, in fact, we are helping them with this.

As I said, I have the greatest of respect for your products and you as a martial artist and business man but there are two sides to every argument.

On the impact NoGi (Brazil) would have had on your sales or hits/popularity I would most definitely be interested in seeing your site stats showing search terms AFTER the Vitor fight or the Pride event as the information I got while analysing keywords and placement indicate that your site is waaay ahead of the Brazilian site. So anyone searching for NoGi will end up at your site first.

Ultimately, people want the Brazilian NoGi. In Japan it is selling thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stock PER WEEK. We are selling out before the stock hits the shelves. We have standing orders for gear. They would want the product EVEN if the brand name was different. If the company changed from being NoGi to YoGi they would still sell because of the marketing, design and quality.

I honestly hope you take this post in the manner which it is written. A balanced argument is the only argument worth having.

Fightgear UK said:
Fozzy for once I have to disagree with you. Hundreds and hundreds (actually, more probably many thousands) of companies exist in different countries with the same name. It's natural. The guy who runs NoGi is a decent guy and is a from a legal background. He has invested tens of thousands of dollars in the business and the sport (sponsorships and events). We wouldn't touch Brazilian NoGi if it was a rip off merchant be assured. In the UK we are one of three 'Fightgear' and all are related to some extent to martial arts/sports. But we co-exist. We have the largest profile and could kick up at other users of the name but why should we do this? Maybe the key is for them to clarify by becoming NoGi-Brazil and NoGi USA. One thing is pretty certain (considering that the Brazilian company has the highest profile) more people have visited the USA site on the back of the Brazilian brand than the other way around.
The products are totally different the logo are different neither company is (to use a legal term) 'Passing Off' (i.e. making people believe it is the other companies product). For it to be illegal it would have to satisfy these issues.
I think NoGi is a superb brand. From my experience the company is reliable and their products are high quality and well designed. I have no doubts that the US NoGi has the same level of quality and innovation.

Sounds like as long as that's the case it's not in the best interest of the American businessman to come to an amicable agreement.

That's business.

Yeah, I wanted to back that up. I haven't read anything bad about NoGi Brazil. I've read a ton of shit about how Gameness Brazil is a scam.

Hey Chris,

You got all my support. Because I respect you as a fighter (a fuckin' good one IMO) but mainly because your products are crazy. And obviously you were here first. I know you have made big effort to offer MMA people the most original and the best quality products on the market.

Actually I like very much your products and plan on purchasing some of them. I remember the first graphics you posted here on Sherdog and I gotta say that you have really improved them. They're fresh!

Like you said and like I told hezre before I really doubt that those brazilians guys did not know about your brand name.

Good luck Chris and keep up the good work on NOGI!!!

UK- #1 there is no such thing as an international trademark. None at all. You need to trade mark your company in every possible place that offers a trademark but you can not get an "International trademark" and this attorney Julio should know that. If he does not know that we in better shape then we thought...As far as their quality goes, we are selling to an audiaunce FAR LARGER than they are. We are selling to many other sports outside of MMA or BJJ so adding GI material to our board shorts that many wear in the water would be silly yes? You can use their shorts for one thing and one thing only. I am not bitching and pretty much don't really care so much any more. I will keep improving my product and will continue to move forward with taking care of the whole name thing. Our product as well would sell regardless of the name. We sell to so many that we have hundreds asking what it even means but they buy it anyway because our products are TOP NOTCH (you should buy a pair).

Also I am 100% positive we are getting 10X's the hits because again we are selling outside this small sport and we have also had a website for about a little over 2 YEARS LONGER THAN THEM... WHEN WE STARTED SELLING PRODUCT...Get it?

Anyway thank you for being polite in your post but again you are waiting for a guy that jacked our name to tell you his motivation behind using the name? Did you forget he is a lawyer?

PS. If they didn't know about us don't you think when they went to get www.nogi.com and realized they had to add a BR because it was already taken by a clothing company in the USA that we may have already existed?

The Real Chris Brennan said:
PS. If they didn't know about us don't you think when they went to get www.nogi.com and realized they had to add a BR because it was already taken by a clothing company in the USA that we may have already existed?

My point exactly.. Not hating on no gi usa but you are doing the opposite... They are not around bad mouthing you but it seems to be working vise versa.

You stated a clothing company in the USA... problem with that mentality is there is the REST OF THE WORLD to think about... the US is small in comparison.

Now if someone else opened a Jacks jerky hut in Brazil and i know for a fact there is a jacks jerky hut in down town tampa, FL... I dont think it would effect anyone all that much.... Considering they might have different food on the menu.... If people want what your offering they are going to buy it regardless, if not and they are looking for the other NOGI company, they are going to buy their product... get over it.
Part of life, part of the world, only so many words to use as a product name, we are bound to repeat them.

and for the Website statement.... The first gracie barra website up was the www.graciebarra.com.br....... It wasnt cause they went looking for the graciebarra.com site and it wasnt available.... it was because they are based in BRAZIL.

They own the franchise name and are all over the world...

Go ahead type in the name.. www.graciebarra.com let me know where it re-directs you.

just using GB as an example.

I don't think that NoGi USA has been ripping NoGi Brazil. I would be pissed to if I was Brennan. The Truth is Brazil is overrated ( except for thier women) and USA is where it is at.

USA all the way baby.

I am creating my own fighting line of clothing called CREONTE Fightwear with the motto : for the little bastard in all of us. So will I need to file for Trademarks in both USA and Brazil, and then UK and Japan too? This could be a costly endeavour.

Chris: Firstly, I am well aware of the international trademark situation. My wife is a senior lawyer in the UK and is helping trademark the Gameness trademark in Europe. When I say 'international' I mean internationally. THERE IS A EUROPEAN TRADEMARK which covers the whole EEC. We know because we are persuing it for Gameness. As someone who has come from the board of a large multinational company, I am pretty aware of international copyright, product protection and trademarking.

If you go to Brazil, Thailand, Indonesia you will find companied blatently copying brand design and even their logo and tags this is thieft, this is forgery. I went to a store in Kuta in Bali and found a shop selling BadBoy. Same logo, same name and same designs. That is theft.

Question: Are NoGi stealing your Nogi logo and 'passing off'?
Question: Are they making replica products?
Question: Are they pretending to be NoGi USA?

My own belief is that 'No' is the answer to those questions. Therefore the problem relates to the name not the products, not the designs, not even the branding.

And yes, I will wait to hear from the owner before I make up my mind. Isn't that what a democracy is all about? The website ownership doesn't have any basis in the real world as you know Chris. For years people have set up a business in a country and purchased a URL but that doesnt denote ownership or rights to a corporate name. But don't take than in the wrong way. I am not saying you did that - only that is does not denote ownership of the name.

I am not here to fight NoGi Brazil's right to the name, they are big enough and strong enough to do that themselves as and when the need arises. All I want to do is present an more even picture. Nothing more, Nothing less.

ichimonji said:
I am creating my own fighting line of clothing called CREONTE Fightwear with the motto : for the little bastard in all of us. So will I need to file for Trademarks in both USA and Brazil, and then UK and Japan too? This could be a costly endeavour.

LOL at "CREONTE" - Where you get that name from ?? Boyz from RIO ? :D

Fozzy said:
Uh... post 1, there was so much nuthuggery about the no-gi brazilian gear BEFORE it became available, and post-availability ALMOST ALL comments have been positive apart from myself who believes that it is unfair to have the name stolen. I believe Soid himself said "he worrys that I am in love with Chris Brennan" or something :p

Do a search, as I've pointed out, before, and the majority of posts are saying how good the gear is, and how much they wanted the vitor style shorts, NOT negative. I know this, because I LIVE ON THIS FREAKING BOARD :p yet... i still havent been modded... funny....

as for YoGi?? come on... be serious....

~Foz
no one was nuthugging the brazilian version at all. when people started asking about it you and a few others immediately started bashing them as if you knew the quality of them.

the thing is as a customer, i can give two shits about the name, i didn't order from riofightwear and ssf because of their name. i ordered off of them because they had something to offer. if i want some quality nogi brasil shorts, ill get it. i dont need to hear all this bs over a name. as far as im concerned, both make quality gear and their designs differ completely.

this shouldnt even be discussed between us, but rather between chris and the owner of the brasil brand.

Soid said:
no one was nuthugging the brazilian version at all. when people started asking about it you and a few others immediately started bashing them as if you knew the quality of them.

the thing is as a customer, i can give two shits about the name, i didn't order from riofightwear and ssf because of their name. i ordered off of them because they had something to offer. if i want some quality nogi brasil shorts, ill get it. i dont need to hear all this bs over a name. as far as im concerned, both make quality gear and their designs differ completely.

this shouldnt even be discussed between us, but rather between chris and the owner of the brasil brand.

You my friend are brilliant

Gsoares said:
My point exactly.. Not hating on no gi usa but you are doing the opposite... They are not around bad mouthing you but it seems to be working vise versa.

Well, i dont read/speak portugese, so I cannot confirm, they could be hating on portal de vale tudo :) haha.

Soid said:

oh come on, don't make me go SEARCH for those posts... I already proved you wrong bro when you said "nogi is such a widely used word in MMA" by searching only the gear and equipment forum.... :p don't make me go search for the nuthuggery!

true, I was hating, but not on the products. I've said numerous times to people "how can you like a product that you don't have, hasn't been reviewed, and isn't even available to the public yet?" (which i think i said about the no-gi brazilian gear btw) I don't denounce a products standards based soley on the name... (not anymore lol) i've just said numerous times that I do not agree with them having the same name. You hear all this talk about these people wanting to buy the NoGi brazil stuff all over the world, but you don't hear the nogi brasil representative posting here? do you? why doesnt he come defend his company?

But you're right, this is between Chris and the owner of the brazilian named nogi.

I for one, still do not endorse name theft!

Viva Sprawl Mexico!!!!!!!!!1111111

~Foz

Fightgear UK said:
I am not here to fight NoGi Brazil's right to the name, they are big enough and strong enough to do that themselves as and when the need arises. All I want to do is present an more even picture. Nothing more, Nothing less.

.... as someone said earlier, you're selling their products, ofcourse you're gonna back them up.

viva sprawl mexico!

~Foz

I for one, still do not endorse name theft!

fozzy.jpg

So are you saying this is really you? ;-)

I have to say I'm with Roy on this one, the situation isn't ideal but I certainly don't think anyone is out to make money off anyone else's back/hard work. Nore do i beleive anyone is pretending to be something they're not (ala the BGG/Gameness situation).

Guess we'll have to wait for the owner of No Gi brazil to comment so we have his viewpont too, for all we know the No Gi brazil brand could be tied into the one mentioned from 10 years ago and has simply made it bigger lately - at the moment we just don't know

Back