Nintendo NINTENDO SWITCH Official Discussion v5: Breath of the Pokemon

I've been out of the loop with respect to gaming for years now. Periodically I'll pick up a title that I've been anticipating and play it through but I've mostly stopped gaming. Recently however I've had the itch to start up again and for whatever reason I've gravitated towards Nintendo. It's been probably a decade or more since I've played any Nintendo titles but I decided to look into the switch to see if it's something I'd be interested in and honestly the switch looks like a goldmine.

Zelda:botw, DK Tropical freeze, Mario odyssey, Luigi's mansion, smash bros and more. Holy fuck the switch has a ton of bangers and there are appearently more on the horizon. Truth be told It was Tropical freeze that made me want to investigate the switch because I loved Donkey Kong country growing up and I'm happy I looked into it as it made me realize how awesome the switch really is. These games are some of the best with respect to their franchises and yet somehow they've completely slipped through my radar. Like Zelda botw was rated one of the best games ever? . DK Tropical Freeze considered one of the best side scrollers ever? Mario odyssey the best of the Mario franchise? I'm hearing many bold claims that warrant investigation.

I just wanted to share some switch enthusiasm in this thread that's all.

Can anyone recommend me some good games for when I make my purchase?

I've been out of the loop with respect to gaming for years now. Periodically I'll pick up a title that I've been anticipating and play it through but I've mostly stopped gaming. Recently however I've had the itch to start up again and for whatever reason I've gravitated towards Nintendo. It's been probably a decade or more since I've played any Nintendo titles but I decided to look into the switch to see if it's something I'd be interested in and honestly the switch looks like a goldmine.

Zelda:botw, DK Tropical freeze, Mario odyssey, Luigi's mansion, smash bros and more. Holy fuck the switch has a ton of bangers and there are appearently more on the horizon. Truth be told It was Tropical freeze that made me want to investigate the switch because I loved Donkey Kong country growing up and I'm happy I looked into it as it made me realize how awesome the switch really is. These games are some of the best with respect to their franchises and yet somehow they've completely slipped through my radar. Like Zelda botw was rated one of the best games ever? . DK Tropical Freeze considered one of the best side scrollers ever? Mario odyssey the best of the Mario franchise? I'm hearing many bold claims that warrant investigation.

I just wanted to share some switch enthusiasm in this thread that's all.

Can anyone recommend me some good games for when I make my purchase?

I played through Tropical Freeze it's really good.

The Switch is a pretty charming system and it hits the nostalgia buttons on your brain and heart. For the most part I think they've done a great job with continuing the quality of their major titles that you've mentioned. I think that all those titles you posted about are generally very well received and if not considered the best in their franchise, they are personal favorites of many and at the least considered one of the best in their series.

If you were a Fire Emblem fan then Three Houses is amazing. If you haven't played Fire Emblem before but interested in SRPGs then it will be worth checking out if you don't mind a game that can take a while to beat (probably at least 40 hours for the first playthrough)

There was also a new Kirby game released. Mario Kart 8 has a ton of content and a lot of people love it. Animal Crossing New Horizons is great. Pokemon released new main titles Sword/Shield but also remakes Diamond/Pearl and a spinoff called Legends: Arceus which is a new take on the Pokemon formula and more about adventuring and catching wild Pokemon as opposed to battling.

Reactions: hsz
Mini direct for tomorrow announced focused on 3rd party stuff

Does the Switch have a HDD/SSD large enough to store games? I saw that Nintendo has a sale right now for some of its games for digital copies, like 30% off or so. It’s not great, but seeing as how Nintendo games, particularly the first party stuff seemingly never goes on sale it caught my attention. But I wasn’t sure whether you can just download a game to the Switch itself vs needing to buy like a “blank” game cartridge and saving the game to that.

Does the Switch have a HDD/SSD large enough to store games? I saw that Nintendo has a sale right now for some of its games for digital copies, like 30% off or so. It’s not great, but seeing as how Nintendo games, particularly the first party stuff seemingly never goes on sale it caught my attention. But I wasn’t sure whether you can just download a game to the Switch itself vs needing to buy like a “blank” game cartridge and saving the game to that.

Switch games aren't that big overall but you can pop a Micro SD (upto 2tb) card in for extra storage. I've got a 128gb one in mine aswell as the 32gb internally (switch lite) i know the Oled one has 64gb internal

Last edited:
Always remember an old video of Mr T saying video games are for strange kids with no friends

now this
So true. Change over the last – say 20 years in particular, on how video games are perceived has been radical. I can think of three factors that are driving this change.

Firstly, contemporary adults are the generation who came up with the very form of entertainment, which led to its acceptance in popular culture, secondly.

Thirdly, the truer-to-life aesthetics of games (where applicable to genre, art direction) as well as their growing complexity and related mental aspects of that have outgrown what was previously deemed inherently childish.

Old if not untenable attitudes still persist to the tune of Netflix being what an adult in his free time does – but not gaming, no; tactical memory recall and advanced problem-solving both calculated and on-the-fly are clearly squanderings of 'kids' compared to streaming a romcom. Lol.

Really hyped for this. REmake RE4 and MP were the Gamecube for me(never got to play Eternal Darkness)

Apparently 1 is getting the full remaster treatment but 2 and 3 are just going to be straight ports.

Bayonetta 3: October 28

Finally! The second half of 2022 is pretty damn awesome if you own a Switch and a PS5. I feel like we are getting nothing but bangers from end of 2022 to at least mid 2023. Great time to be gaming. We're in the eye of the storm now.

Just tried playing some Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 again and well, this game is still total dogshit.

abysmal camera control, other characters just stand around doing nothing, stun, stun, stun, stun, just ridiculous shit while the camera view seems to do everything it can to block your view of what’s going on or where whatever is coming from.

Finally deleted it off the switch.

Koei Tecmo and their Team Ninja fucking suck shit.

Phew. Better now.

If that game cost $20 it would've been alright.

Just tried playing some Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 again and well, this game is still total dogshit.

abysmal camera control, other characters just stand around doing nothing, stun, stun, stun, stun, just ridiculous shit while the camera view seems to do everything it can to block your view of what’s going on or where whatever is coming from.

Phew. Better now.

They completely botched Ninja Gaiden 2 in the master collection as well. don't give a shit about 3 as it's apparently terrible ala DMC2 but at least the DMC collection was broken up into single games to buy.

Phew. Better now.
Team Ninja has some great games, including the only mobile gacha game I will play. But man, Ultimate Alliance 3 was so awful

Back