Nintendo NINTENDO SWITCH Official Discussion v5: Breath of the Pokemon

It was to be expected... Metroid Dread Q1, BOTW 2 Q2, & hopefully Odyssey 2 in Q 3 or 4.

I'm going on the record to predict that Nintendo will also launch the Switch Pro/Switch 2/Super Switch... whatever it's called alongside this game.

Has anyone else been playing Kirby and the Forgotten Land?

It's been pretty good so far, although it's much different than what I expected. Based on the "car powerup" promos as well as some pre-release articles touting it as an open-world game, I was preparing myself for some large Mario Odyssey-esque environments (if not larger), with the car serving as your primary means of transportation from one major area to the next.

Boy, was I wrong. Instead, it's essentially Super Mario 3D World with a Kirby makeover. The camera and level design are very 3D World-esque. You have little-to-no control over the camera itself, and the levels are, for the most part, incredibly linear/straight-forward. Much like 3D World, it isn't 2.5D but it definitely doesn't have "fully explorable" 3D levels like those in Mario 64 or Odyssey, either. It feels very tightly controlled, and it's virtually impossible to "lose your way." Even the car sections are insanely linear, to the point of feeling on-rails despite the fact that they give you complete control. Instead of driving a car around an open area, you're really just going along a straight path until you inevitably reach a platform/obstacle that requires you to abandon the car to move ahead.

It may seem like I'm bashing the game, but I'm honestly not. I've just been surprised by how "not open" it really is. Some of those previews (like this one) were dead wrong.

That being said, the gameplay itself is fun and easy to get into. There are lots of powers to absorb from enemies, and you can even upgrade them back at your "home town" which is really cool. Each level also has a whole bunch of optional objectives, most of which aren't even revealed until you've beaten the level, which is a great way to add replay value despite the designs being so linear. And outside of the levels themselves, there are bonus "challenge levels" on the world map that you can play. It definitely feels like there's enough side content to make it worth your while.

One complaint I do have is that the game is a cakewalk even on "Wild Mode" (which is supposed to be the most challenging of the two modes). Even the bosses have been a joke. None of them have put me in any sort of danger, and I've beaten most of them without taking more than a hit or two. I guess that's Kirby for you, though. On the flipside, perhaps it's nice to get a game like this every once in a while that you can just breeze through without a care in the world.

Another minor complaint is that although the graphics are pretty good, it runs at a sluggish 30 FPS. I really wish they could've achieved a smoother 60 FPS, not just for the sake of visuals but also to make it feel more responsive to control, but then again it isn't a fast-paced game nor is it very challenging, so at the end of the day it isn't a huge deal.

Overall I think it's well worth playing if you're a fan of Kirby or even Mario 3D World. It definitely isn't on the same level as Mario Odyssey, but then again... how many platformers are? I wouldn't quite put it above Mario 3D World, either. It's still a cool game though, even if it ended up being way different than what I expected, and I'm definitely going to play the hell out of it.

While very interested in the game I hadn’t been following it that closely. I was unaware there had been any representations made to suggest it would be open world. I was only ever expecting something along the lines of Mario 3D World but with Kirby.

I'm going on the record to predict that Nintendo will also launch the Switch Pro/Switch 2/Super Switch... whatever it's called alongside this game.
Not too bold of a prediction. I've seen quite a few people say this. Although I can't imagine they are in a huge rush to get out a new console out anytime soon other than maybe something like an OLED 4K version.

Can a new punch out be made in this new politically correct world?

Can a new punch out be made in this new politically correct world?

You could still do creative and interesting characters for Punch Out that aren't 80's stereotypes. It might take more effort but that's honestly a good thing because it would likely translate to the gameplay as well. Super Punch Out feels so underrated to me, I would kill for a new 2D entry in the series. It should be hand drawn though, it would probably look like a flash game if they cheaped out.

So if somebody has a young child and wants to introduce them to easy games like Mario / Donkey Kong / Sonic, they should be purchasing a Nintendo Switch and hooking it up to their TV?

So if somebody has a young child and wants to introduce them to easy games like Mario / Donkey Kong / Sonic, they should be purchasing a Nintendo Switch and hooking it up to their TV?
Well it's definitely got access to those games. They wouldn't be considered easy by any means though, at least not by modern standards. It's definitely going to be the best system for a young kid to cut their teeth on though. Helps with reading too since they can play more story based stuff in handheld if the TV is being used.

This came out on the Switch recently. Amazing game, it's mostly a visual novel but there's some RTS aspect of it that's fairly easy but also fun if you are into RTS and mech stuff.

I consider it to be a pretty GOAT level game if you are into visual novels. Even if you aren't into them too much or haven't played them before you can really enjoy it if you're into story-heavy games. I completed it on PS but will likely pick it up again on the Switch eventually because I loved the game so much.

Splatoon 3 will release September 9th

Also the Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2 is available through the NSO Expansion Pack

Last edited:

Donkey Kong isn't easy at all, it's a challenge. Easier games would be Pokemon, Mario Party, Animal Crossing, and the new Kirby game.

I picked up Switch Sports and it's a fun/casual game to play(as excepted). I know that it's nothing "groundbreaking", but I didn't expect it to be, and have been having fun playing the online vs mode.

I picked up Switch Sports and it's a fun/casual game to play(as excepted). I know that it's nothing "groundbreaking", but I didn't expect it to be, and have been having fun playing the online vs mode.
I picked it up, too. It's sad how bare bones it is compared to the original Wii Sports. Soccer is boring as hell, but everything else is fun. There just isn't much there.

I miss @HairdewX updating this thread. Always looked forward to it. Some interesting games coming to Switch soon.

Weak indie world overall but this game stood out.

Same developer that made Going Under, a really underrated game. I had fun with it, worth picking up if you guys like roguelites.

Back