Nike ipod + sports kit

rEdShawks

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So i just spent the last half hour reading reviews on the ipod sports kit thing for running, but i am still unsure whether if its worth it to buy the nano and the sports kit. One of the crucial factors is whether or not the kit is accurate measuring ure distance + time . So has anyone found it to be faulty or unaccurate?

same thing im wondering.. i justbought new running shoes that are compatbile with that kit... there is a sensor built into the heel

I've got one and it's worth a buy. It's pretty accurate if you calibrate it right and is a good motivator. You can also buy a watch from nike that links with the sensor if you dont want to buy an ipod.

It's not perfect but for the price you can't go wrong and it definitely spurs you on when training alone.

I've got one and it's worth a buy. It's pretty accurate if you calibrate it right and is a good motivator. You can also buy a watch from nike that links with the sensor if you dont want to buy an ipod.

It's not perfect but for the price you can't go wrong and it definitely spurs you on when training alone.

well i need some type of mp3 player, and while there are definately better and cheaper mp3 players than the ipod, if u add in the cost of the watch thingy then i might as well juts buy ipod+ sports kit

if you like running and are committed running as part of your conditioning do yourself a favor and use a garmin forerunner instead. I have the older forerunner 301.

it helped me alot. you can customize your programs for long slow endurance runs or set custom intervals based on time, heartrate thresholds or distances. It takes all the guesswork out and is really accurate (i tested alot of my runs on google maps and they were always within 250 metres on 10 km runs or 7 km interval runs). mine was on sale for $150 which is probably cheaper than the nike ipod combo and its built very rugged. i charge the thing once every 4 months and its practically sweat proof. its a sick tool

I still haven't gotten the damn thing calibrated correctly. I must have a fucked up stride or something, because when I calibrate it, it always tells me that the distance run doesn't match.

I use mine religiously, it seems to be relatively accurate and it is inexpensive

I don't use one of these, but instead have a Polar HRM + foot pod, which I understand to be more accurate.

Accuracy is a little bit over rated with distance measuring devices - the key thing is that it is consistent. I certainly don't rely on my Polar unit to give me the exact distance of a kilometer when running, but I do need it to be consistent when running the same course over time.

if you like running and are committed running as part of your conditioning do yourself a favor and use a garmin forerunner instead. I have the older forerunner 301.

it helped me alot. you can customize your programs for long slow endurance runs or set custom intervals based on time, heartrate thresholds or distances. It takes all the guesswork out and is really accurate (i tested alot of my runs on google maps and they were always within 250 metres on 10 km runs or 7 km interval runs). mine was on sale for $150 which is probably cheaper than the nike ipod combo and its built very rugged. i charge the thing once every 4 months and its practically sweat proof. its a sick tool

If you're not a competitive runner then i don't see the need tbh. it's not like you're going to be working at a specific heart rate during a fight. plus long runs aren't that valuable as a conditioning tool

I got a Garmin Forerunner 305 and its the absolute best thing in the world to use and much cheaper than buying an Ipod,the chip and all that.

Plus, My brother has the Ipod and Kit and we run together.

His Ikit will have him over a quarter of a mile ahead of me.

So it obviously isnt calibrated correctly

I ran the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon and my Garmin was 100 percent accurate.

I have a nike+ kit and when I first got it I calibrated it. And the first thing I noticed was it was way off. I looked on their help forum and basically was told to reset the settings and not calibrate it at all and after that it was fairly accurate.

I got a Garmin Forerunner 305 and its the absolute best thing in the world to use and much cheaper than buying an Ipod,the chip and all that.

Plus, My brother has the Ipod and Kit and we run together.

His Ikit will have him over a quarter of a mile ahead of me.

So it obviously isnt calibrated correctly

I ran the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon and my Garmin was 100 percent accurate.

while the garmin might be cheaper, u dont get any music out of it. while the ipod doubles as a running tool and a mp3 player, plus music can even make running easier

^
Yeah, I cant argue with u there but u can always grab a 40 dollar RCA Lyra and in my experience those are more durable than Ipods when it comes to hardcore exercise

Ipods arent very water resistant. U drop some sweat in one of those and they mess up easy * I know the arm bands etc, but i had one mess up due to sweating through the armband and it gettin the Ipod wet.

Also, the other drawback about the Ipod system is u HAVE to wear Nikes.

I personally am not a Nike fan when it comes to running shoes.

^
Yeah, I cant argue with u there but u can always grab a 40 dollar RCA Lyra and in my experience those are more durable than Ipods when it comes to hardcore exercise

Ipods arent very water resistant. U drop some sweat in one of those and they mess up easy * I know the arm bands etc, but i had one mess up due to sweating through the armband and it gettin the Ipod wet.

Also, the other drawback about the Ipod system is u HAVE to wear Nikes.

I personally am not a Nike fan when it comes to running shoes.

while ipods arnt perfect (that sucks about the armband sweat) they are pretty good and if ure ipod doesnt get wet then u have a quality ipod with a pretty good "training partner". i am not a fan of kine either, but now u can use the sports kit without nike they have some type of thing u clip it to instead

Yeah, the voice thing that comes over you Ipod is pretty sweet. Would be really cool *and they may already* if they had like the athletes sponsored by Nike doing voice motivations that u could activate.

Say I wanted Steve Nash to come over my Earbuds and tell me, 1 mile to go, come on, u can do do this

That would be sweet!

Back