Nick Diaz revealing interview on Anderson fight

best eva

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Favorite part is at 1:20

"I've always worked with a lot more strikers than your average MMA athlete."

Pretty brilliant training strategy there. I'll bet it never occurred to Marquardt or Maia to spar with strikers.

Interesting, but Anderson is hardly average as a striker.

He's many levels above anyone Diaz has faced before.

He is training with two of the top kick boxers in the world, Joe Shilling and Artem Levin. I think it's safe to say they are above average and comparable to AS's striking.

But trained with? No. Levin and Schilling are both better pure strikers than Anderson...and it's not even close.

Nick is always such a great interview....

But trained with? No. Levin and Schilling are both better pure strikers than Anderson...and it's not even close.

It's different when they are actually in the cage, for instance most guys will hold off actually trying to KO their sparring partners.

I have always thought in the past if someone doesn't try to wrestle Diaz they do not have a good chance at beating him

Anderson isn't gonna try to wrestle Nick but he is such a good striker its tough to call, I give Nick the edge in cardio so hopefully he can weather the early storm and put his own pressure on Silva

I'd love to see a vid of Levin lighting him up in sparring lol

I have always thought in the past if someone doesn't try to wrestle Diaz they do not have a good chance at beating him

Anderson isn't gonna try to wrestle Nick but he is such a good striker its tough to call, I give Nick the edge in cardio so hopefully he can weather the early storm and put his own pressure on Silva

oh boy...

^This. If you recall in the Silva/Maia fight, Anderson gassed badly and Maia took rounds 4 and 5. The problem with Maia is that he doesn't know how to strike so he couldn't really hurt Silva, Diaz however can. Not to mention I expect Diaz to put tons of pressure on Silva right from the get go which seems to be a recipe for success when fighting Silva.

Prove me wrong? Condit is the only one who did it anytime recently and he did it by staying on his bike the whole fight

Bike + landing 30 signficant strikes per round. And Anderson is a bigger, better striker than Carlos.

Bike + landing 30 signficant strikes per round. And Anderson is a bigger, better striker than Carlos.

If you really believe Condit landed 30 SIGNIFICANT strikes per round i do pity you sir

Prove me wrong? Condit is the only one who did it anytime recently and he did it by staying on his bike the whole fight

It's not that Diaz is a bad fighter, he's an excellent fighter. The problem is he's going up to MW where the level is completely different. Diaz isn't a top 10 MW imo, and he's jumping in there with a shark.

^This. If you recall in the Silva/Maia fight, Anderson gassed badly and Maia took rounds 4 and 5. The problem with Maia is that he doesn't know how to strike so he couldn't really hurt Silva, Diaz however can. Not to mention I expect Diaz to put tons of pressure on Silva right from the get go which seems to be a recipe for success when fighting Silva.
That is just partly true IMO. Pressure is the way to go, yes, but to put it on Silva requires a diverse game with wrestling as the main component. Obviously he has lost a step or maybe two, but I think it still holds. Look at Chael, Weidman for example. Vitor tried to put the pressure on and paid the price. Do you consider Nick Diaz to be that much of a more dangerous striker than Vitor that he can succeed where Vitor failed? I think he will eat a counter punch or two a la Forrest and then he will put to sleep if he tries to charge in. Nick will have to be on his bike to survive this, but this will be hard for him since he's used to being the taller fighter. Infighting is not an option either IMO, since Silva will clinch at will.
I honestly have no idea what Diaz can bring to the table. His only hope is that Silva has deteriorated rapidly

I'd love to see a vid of Levin lighting him up in sparring lol
Haha that would be funny. Be interesting to see the reactions confused Diaz fans who actually think he is a significantly talented boxer.

Maia didn't take rounds 4 and 5 on any scorecard. One judge gave him one round and the other two gave him zero.

Cormier had an olympic gold medallist in his camp for the Jones fight.

I still can't believe how that fight went.

Back