Nick Diaz misses media, pulled from fight - Ronda on the other hand?

I don't have to even look at your avatar, your reputation of being a Ronda-apologist precedes you.

I have no problem with the possibility that she negotiated it into the contract, that is not my issue. A very quick question, how do you even know this was agreed/negotiated? Has this been announced?

"Ronda apologist" here we go. Are we going to have a serious discussion, or no?

Yes, Ronda's terms for not doing a lot of media for this fight has been announced and written about extensively. Pretty much everywhere.

“In April 2015 (2016), the sport made headlines when another of its stars, McGregor, refused to attend a news conference. White responded by pulling him from the UFC 200 card.

Rousey watched it unfold from afar. When she saw McGregor a month later, at a Bud Light commercial taping in Las Vegas, she pulled him aside and offered some advice. ‘Instead of trying to handle everything at once, while it’s coming at you, just trying to reach an agreement beforehand,’ she told him.
Rousey did the same when she negotiated her terms for UFC 207. She would limit her publicity to a few high-profile interviews with people of her choosing, a day of filming at the gym in Glendale and a staredown with Nunes at UFC 205, a bout that McGregor would headline in New York in November.”

Short version:

http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/report-ronda-rouseys-ufc-207-agreement-allows-her-to-skip-mma-media/
Long version:
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...onda-rousey-preparing-return-ufc-amanda-nunes

If you want more you can google it.

For you to think that anyone else would get this treatment, going off of the history of the UFC, in my opinion speaks to you being in denial. You think Conor could or would promote an event with zero conversation with MMA media? First of all do you think he'd ever be so negative to try and do this in the first place? Second of all do you really think Dana White would sit in a room and accept that he is doing zero interactions with MMA media? Conor sells fights with his talk, and you're going to subtract the talk from the equation? Because that'll really sell well, right?

Yes. Colin would definitely be allowed to limit his promotion and only do the big mainstream outlets if he wanted to. He sells more PPV's than Ronda. Both of them have worked hard for the UFC, they have saved cards and fought when they didn't have to and most importantly people are buying their PPV's. = They are getting 'special treatment' in return. It's may not be fair, but it's not rocket science either. It's how this stuff works. I don't know if he would like to do it or not. That's not relevant to the discussion we are having. But he definitely could. If the UFC feels comfortable with letting Ronda do this, they would feel comfortable with letting Colin do it as well since he's a bigger draw, currently the bigger name in the sport and so on. He jumped the line to a title shot at 155 after going 1-1 at 170lbs. They made interim belts in the division he was champion in because he wanted to do his thing at 170lbs and 155lbs. What more evidence do you need? Stars get special treatment.

With that being said if they can do anything to make her preparation easier or help her be comfortable and confident they will give her that luxury - in hope that it increases the chance of victory.

Again, this is not something new. The UFC offered Colin the very same luxury by wanting to pay for his gym, a private jet and so on to make his promotion easier with his training schedule. He declined.

The rest of your rant is, again, not even relevant to the discussion we're having so I'm not even gonna reply to it. I don't buy that she's getting this special treatment 'because she's a woman' or that the UFC is on 'a guilt trip'. Those are not serious arguments. She got this because she was able to negotiate it and the UFC feels comfortable that the card will sell well regardless. Are you telling me a card with Colin headlining wouldn't sell if he didn't do his usual antics? He's already done his work. He's already a star. Ronda and Colin are in the same boat.

Now I'm just gonna let you bitch about Ronda in peace and let you continue to write novels and come to conclusions without having all the facts.

Last edited:
Ronda hate threads are as obnoxious as Ronda herself. That said, the section of your thread I found most silly was referring to Tates win as a "Hail Mary choke." There are no Hail Mary chokes. They aren't like haymakers. You have to do a lot of work to set them up.

Doubtful, has she signed a new contract since Holm?

She did Luke Thomas talked about it on his MMA show and on the MMA beat. She got a special contract that allows her to do less media obligations. It was part of her negotiations. She doesn't get paid a lot from what I hear and could get more from the UFC if she wanted like Connor does. So I think when she made this request they probably gave in without any issues.

well it s not as if the UFC got us used to fair an equal treatment between fighters.
more inequal treatment than it is already would be fixing fights

Off topic of the fairness of it all, but relating to something else you said

I'm not sure if any version of Nick would have beaten any version of Georges,

I personally think the Nick Diaz that was coming out of Strikeforce to fight Georges could have won.
The Diaz that fought pissed off against BJ could have taken GSP in my opinion. He was extremely motivated, pissed off, and ready to be the best in the world. By the time the Condit and finally the GSP fight came along, he seemed to have lost that spark, and the interest level to go for it. I think he would have beat damn near any WW the night he beat BJ

Just my opinion of course

IMO he wouldn't have ever won. GSP is the perfect fighter for someone like Diaz. Amazing wrestling, great striking, Great BJJ. Really GSP is the perfect fighter for almost any opponent his chin is the only flaw really. GSP with just his grappling was already a nightmare match up for Diaz add in his amazing striking it was just a fight Diaz was never going to win. He was never going to overwhelm GSP cause GSP will just take him down. He was never going to gas GSP cause GSP doesn't gas. He just wasn't going to win that fight.

Didn't know that Ronda waz refusing to do interviews. Although, it's not interviews that they are required to do... you typically got a pre-fight press conference, & a media scrum during fight week. They didn't do a pre-fight presser weeks ahead of the event... so I'd say that she hasn't ducked any "required" interviews.

Just for the record... I also think Conor getting booted from 200 waz by design. Likely that Lesnar popped up saying he wanted to be on it & so the UFC worked it all out with Conor who waz probably more than happy to have more time to train with tall boxerz.

giphy.gif

She's pretty but her face has weird wrinkles.

So many people writing novels in here without anyone addressing the elephant in the room. The UFC is under completely new ownership since Nick Diaz and Conor McGregor got pulled from their fights for skipping pressers.

IMO he wouldn't have ever won. GSP is the perfect fighter for someone like Diaz. Amazing wrestling, great striking, Great BJJ. Really GSP is the perfect fighter for almost any opponent his chin is the only flaw really. GSP with just his grappling was already a nightmare match up for Diaz add in his amazing striking it was just a fight Diaz was never going to win. He was never going to overwhelm GSP cause GSP will just take him down. He was never going to gas GSP cause GSP doesn't gas. He just wasn't going to win that fight.
I feel that Nick Diaz would have made it a very interesting fight for GSP. I think if angry interested Nick turned up and fought the GSP that looked human in his last couple of fights, he would have stood a chance

There is a difference, Im sure someone tried to explain but I don't give a shit. I don't respect her decision.

I remember when she got her title "This is everything I wanted, if I could script it, it would be just like this."

MMA stopped worshiping her and she is done with us.

I don't think their situations are 100% comparable. To my understanding this extremely reduced media schedule was contractually agreed upon for UFC 207. That's a lot less embarrassing for the UFC than Dana standing next to an empty chair they expect you to be sitting in. In the Conor and Nick cases I don't think they had such provisions in their contracts.

This didn't even hit me straight away, but a friend of mine flipped out over this the other day.

Nick Diaz was the Strikeforce champion, was on a ridiculously long win streak and other than a premature doctor's stoppage against Noons (which he avenged) he was unbeaten for 5 and a half years.

The guy misses a press conference and Dana White pulls him from his title bout with Georges St. Pierre. To then rub salt in the wounds, they make him fight on the SAME CARD as Georges St. Pierre and Carlos Condit. Georges gets injured and pulls out of the bout, Nick defeats Penn and is again promoted to having a title shot. Georges gets injured again, and that is what leads to Diaz/Condit and Nick losing a closely contested decision and losing his ability to fight Georges again.

I'm not sure if any version of Nick would have beaten any version of Georges, but Nick sure didn't get this fight when he was on a roll did he? Nick was unceremoniously gifted a title shot against St. Pierre after spending an entire year off - wasn't exactly him rolling off of his Strikeforce momentum was it?

Ronda Rousey on the other hand is promoted to kingdom come. She's the face of WMMA and is pushed completely down our throats every day from the date of her UFC signing. WMMA altogether was green, but some of her opponents were simply bystanders. Whether it be severely undersized Carmouche, or one dimensional grapplers like McMann, or perhaps fighters that are pretty bad at everything like Correia and Davis. Barring a few talented ladies, Ronda was running through fighters who just were not good enough.

Then the wake-up call comes! She's starting to be spread too thin, too many projects at once and what was deemed as a bit of a "gimme fight" against a one dimensional boxer in Holm, ends up being a bout that costs her her consciousness.

After a year of making excuses, and dodging the Holm rematch, she's back now lol. The minute Miesha Tate won with her Hail Mary choke over Holly, she texts Dana saying "Guess I'm coming back to work" - in other words, here is a fighter I've beaten twice, now I'm confident in winning again.

So eventually she's back, and after all the sobbing and over the top suicide talk etc. she has built up the courage to fight Amanda Nunes - but oh wait, she is outright refusing to talk to MMA media. Why is Conan and Ellen okay? Perhaps because she gets paid for those interviews.

So I say all of that to say this, Nick Diaz got fucking screwed at the time and good old uncle Bald Bozo Fuck makes another exception for those that line his pockets.

Good job, glad Michael Landsberg handed you your ass on Canadian TV.
TLDR GFY.

I feel that Nick Diaz would have made it a very interesting fight for GSP. I think if angry interested Nick turned up and fought the GSP that looked human in his last couple of fights, he would have stood a chance

I just don't see it. GSP looked human because he was fighting 1. A guy who has looked like crap since USADA came in and 2. He got hit with a nice head kick against Condit. Neither of these are really Diaz's style. His style is to overwhelm you. Make you gas and then beat you down. When he can't do those things he has trouble. Look at the Penn fight. He won but the first round he was getting knocked around because he needed to wait until Penn gassed. The condit fight he also had trouble because Condit never gassed so he had trouble trying to close the distance.

The favoritism that she gets is unreal. Like pointed out above, even Conor McGregor couldn't get away with doing no media. Not hard to tell who the UFC wants to win this one. Hope Nunes violently puts and end to this one.

This move by the UFC tells me that they know Ronda is vulnerable and they're trying to hide something. After all she did break down after a staredown and had to be consoled. She seems like a mental wreck at this point.
This. Can you elaborate on the last part though

Diaz and McGregor bailed on already agreed commitments. Rousey clearly has a different agreement in place for this fight, so it isn't a problem. She has filmed a ton of video promo stuff, and done some mainstream media, that's enough for this fight. (also we don't know how much promo she will do during fight week yet, do we?)

This. Can you elaborate on the last part though

Which part, the stare down break down? Google it, she had to be consoled after having a stare down with Nunes. That's why she stormed off the stage and didn't talk to the media.

Which part, the stare down break down? Google it, she had to be consoled after having a stare down with Nunes. That's why she stormed off the stage and didn't talk to the media.

That's pretty pathetic

So I say all of that to say this, Nick Diaz got fucking screwed at the time and good old uncle Bald Bozo Fuck makes another exception for those that line his pockets
The favoritism that she gets is unreal. Like pointed out above, even Conor McGregor couldn't get away with doing no media. Not hard to tell who the UFC wants to win this one. Hope Nunes violently puts and end to this one.

Do your research. You know nothing.

"In April 2015, the sport made headlines when another of its stars, McGregor, refused to attend a news conference. White responded by pulling him from the UFC 200 card.Rousey watched it unfold from afar. When she saw McGregor a month later, at a Bud Light commercial taping in Las Vegas, she pulled him aside and offered some advice. 'Instead of trying to handle everything at once, while it's coming at you, just trying to reach an agreement beforehand,' she told him. Rousey did the same when she negotiated her terms for UFC 207. She would limit her publicity to a few high-profile interviews with people of her choosing, a day of filming at the gym in Glendale and a staredown with Nunes at UFC 205, a bout that McGregor would headline in New York in November."

Do your research. You know nothing.

"In April 2015, the sport made headlines when another of its stars, McGregor, refused to attend a news conference. White responded by pulling him from the UFC 200 card.Rousey watched it unfold from afar. When she saw McGregor a month later, at a Bud Light commercial taping in Las Vegas, she pulled him aside and offered some advice. 'Instead of trying to handle everything at once, while it's coming at you, just trying to reach an agreement beforehand,' she told him. Rousey did the same when she negotiated her terms for UFC 207. She would limit her publicity to a few high-profile interviews with people of her choosing, a day of filming at the gym in Glendale and a staredown with Nunes at UFC 205, a bout that McGregor would headline in New York in November."

Do you HONESTLY believe the UFC would allow McGregor to not do press conferences and the media circus tour? Are you SERIOUS? There's no way they would cut McGregor a deal like that.

Back