Nick Diaz Fight Week! What Are Your Expectations?

How Dominant Will Nick Diaz Look

• Total voters
Personally I think it’s actually brilliant matchmaking. The ufc has the two guys who fans love but are struggling. If they fight someone has to win, and then you can sell something like lawler vs mas, or nick vs mas. Either way you’re getting a lot of value out of it. Smart move.

I love the matchup. I'm so glad they're not feeding either of these guys to young up-and-comers and overall I'm excited. Still, I feel like I have to dial back my expectations for both guys. I do wish the UFC would make more fights like this though.

Never know with a Diaz Bro.
giphy.gif

Lawler being a shot fighter and Diaz coming back from a long layoff is what makes this matchup (on paper) plausibly competitive and as a result I have no idea what to expect, which is precisely how I think every matchup in the UFC should be booked.

But we DO know what to expect....we're gonna get Shoulder Rollin' Robbie Lawler who does absolutely fuck all while his Fans tell me he's gonna turn it on in the 3rd or 5th round :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
giphy.gif

Robbie hasn't gotten up for any fight since Cowboy and even in that fight he was relatively passive, I'm not even tryna hear about the Askren fight either, he got a good slam and some ground and pound in, but he hasn't looked that dominant since before he got KO'ed by Woodley.

I started watching UFC after Nick was inactive so i have not seen him fight. I think cardio will be ok due to his triathlon training. However after that long of time off I can't picture him being sharp / quick enough to hang.

I expect it to look like the MMA version of one of those Triller matchups with Nick being absolutely washed. Hopefully I'm wrong.

But we DO know what to expect....we're gonna get Shoulder Rollin' Robbie Lawler who does absolutely fuck all while his Fans tell me he's gonna turn it on in the 3rd or 5th round :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
giphy.gif

Robbie hasn't gotten up for any fight since Cowboy and even in that fight he was relatively passive, I'm not even tryna hear about the Askren fight either, he got a good slam and some ground and pound in, but he hasn't looked that dominant since before he got KO'ed by Woodley.
100%. If Nick throws with even 75% of the volume that he used to, he'll most likely win a clear UD as Robbie just stand around and absorbs punishment, like he did vs. RDA, Colby, etc.

He will show up, have a mediocre fight, collect his check and then crawl back under a rock only to resurface in another 7-10 years looking for another payday. Both Diaz brothers are overrated.

Looking forward to it! Considering both Nick & Robbie are legends, it will be great. Seeing them give it everything they have will satisfy me. Comparing them to fighters in their prime is foolish so I'll ignore those inevitable comments.

Started actively following MMA after Nick last fought. I'm aware of how much he's respected by folks here who I like. Hoping for same as every fight. They show up on weight and the fight occurs. That nothing significantly interferes with the better fighter winning. That no one is seriously hurt. That they fight to the best of their abilities.

This week provides an opportunity to catch up on Nick's fights. Gonna check out his first one with Lawler. Any further suggestions are appreciated.

It's been such a long time that Diaz has been out, i can't really say how he'll look.

If he comes prepared with cardio and sharp boxing, he'll beat Robbie again.

He should beat Robbie again, unless he's terribly out of shape. He's a lot bigger and a more technical boxer.

Honestly I'm not expecting much. I think nick battles anxiety really bad and this is probably a really rough week for him after a layoff that long. A layoff where many times in his head I'd assume he thought he was done.

I'll be impressed if he comes out and gives it his all win or lose.

<Dany07>

Back