Ngannou vs Carwin who takes it?

Carwin was a scary mofo. Ngannou is also a scary mofo....not much of a contribution, but I do know one thing, it would be a very brief fight

Different levels...

Carwin has one top win in his ufc run (maybe 2 if gonzaga included)

While ngannou already has 5

Ngannou has better timing and distance management and his strikes come at all sorts of angles.
Carwin had pretty good wrestling, but not better than Cain or Blaydes, I don't think he mixed things up well enough to take Ngannou down and I don't think his C-level BJJ would be enough to submit Ngannou, who's never been submitted.
The difference between Carwin and Blaydes/ Cain is Shane could equal Francis's punching power, which as far as we've seen so far could cause Francis to hesitate, and an iron chin as was evident in the JDS fight when he survived a savage beating.

Carwin has more ways to win the fight which makes him the safer bet IMO but obviously at HW with 2 guys that hit as hard as these 2 its far from a sure thing.

I think Big Shane hits harder and could mix up the takedown threat and he throws real GNP, unlike Stipes pitter patter shots.

Carwin late first round tko on the ground

giphy.gif

Different levels...

Yeah, the difference being Carwins top wins were against guys still in there primes while Francis' are against guy on the downside of there careers with the exception of Blaydes.

With Carwins power he could have just as easily gone on the same run Francis has if he came into the sport at that time instead of when he did.

Different levels...

Bro! He beat Jason Ellis with one arm tied down......lol......imagine that was my argument. You’re right though.

Carwin would get smoked more times than not. He was getting knocked around by Gabriel Gonzaga and absolute bums like Niel Wain until landing the hailmary KO shot.

Ngannou would send Carwins head into orbit.

Interesting hypothetical, from what we know we could imagine Ngannou would fight passively like he did against Lewis, it's no secret that Carwin was one of the most powerful guys to ever be in the UFC.
Carwins ability to throw shorter/faster punches is a big advantage here, we know Carwin can also take bombs, we don't know how Ngannou reacts to eating power shots yet.
Their cardio is similar, they could both end up exhausted and throughing sloppy overhands by the 2nd round.

TLDR I think Carwin wins a decision, I don't think either of them would opt to be very aggressive against each other, they respect each others power and make it mainly a point fight with the occasional attempt at kill shots.

Yeah, the difference being Carwins top wins were against guys still in there primes while Francis' are against guy on the downside of there careers with the exception of Blaydes.

With Carwins power he could have just as easily gone on the same run Francis has if he came into the sport at that time instead of when he did.

So 2 wins vs “in their prime” guys is somehow comparable to what ngannou did?

Also their “in prime” status is questionable considering that gonzaga, after initial successful 8-1 start n win over crocop, became inconsistent journeyman losing to most top guys (including carwin).

Mir had similar career path. He looked promising with 8-1 start just like n gonzaga n winning the title. After his bike accident, he took time off n came back as an inconsistent fighter. Losing to guys like Cruz n Vera n beating green lesnar, shot big nog n journeyman Kongo. Then he got destroyed by lesnar in the rematch n by carwin.

After that he was a gatekeeper at best losing most of his top matches.

So beating those 2 “in prime fighters” doesn’t match ngannou finishing all ufc top guys in 1st round.

I think Francis would mentally break immediately after feeling Carwins power and Carwin being able to t ake Francis' shots. Francis either wins in the first minutes or loses a decision.

I actually dont think either would go down, as both have unreal chins and can take insane punishment. I think they would both earn eachothers respect very early in the fight and it would end up being kind of boring. But I think Carwin gets the decision as Francis kind of freezes up after not being able to put Carwin down.

Different levels...

To be fair Carwins career was cut very short.After the Brock fight(which he came razer close to winning) he ran into a PRIME form peaking UBER-JDS. Then he was absolutely ruined by severe back injuries. He certainly could have went on to do a LOT more if not for the injury. Before those two fights he was deading everyone

Would have been a great fight. Francis would probably have taken it tho.

Ngannous just beat the best resler in the HW division and the best striker, back to back. Ngannou is the best HW in the ufc, ever.

So 2 wins vs “in their prime” guys is somehow comparable to what ngannou did?

Also their “in prime” status is questionable considering that gonzaga, after initial successful 8-1 start n win over crocop, became inconsistent journeyman losing to most top guys (including carwin).

Mir had similar career path. He looked promising with 8-1 start just like n gonzaga n winning the title. After his bike accident, he took time off n came back as an inconsistent fighter. Losing to guys like Cruz n Vera n beating green lesnar, shot big nog n journeyman Kongo. Then he got destroyed by lesnar in the rematch n by carwin.

After that he was a gatekeeper at best losing most of his top matches.

So beating those 2 “in prime fighters” doesn’t match ngannou finishing all ufc top guys in 1st round.
You have a point but this is about Francis vs Carwin and like I said, Carwin could have just as easily done what Francis did against the version of the opponents Francis faced if he had entered the sport at the time Francis did instead of when he actually did.

Also as mention Carwin has the same ace in the hole Francis does with the one punch power but also has the grappling advantage to fall back on should a plan B be required which Francis does not and an iron chin which, IMO, makes him the safer bet in a head to head matchup between the 2.

If only prime Carwin has cardio, that would be scary. Francis at least went 5 rounds but I don’t think Carwin’s chin can withstand Francis’s power though. Just his lead left alone, uppercutted Overeem into sleep relm

Carwin got most his knockouts from accumulative strikes, Ngannou is a whole different beast.

You have a point but this is about Francis vs Carwin and like I said, Carwin could have just as easily done what Francis did against the version of the opponents Francis faced if he had entered the sport at the time Francis did instead of when he actually did.

Also as mention Carwin has the same ace in the hole Francis does with the one punch power but also has the grappling advantage to fall back on should a plan B be required which Francis does not and an iron chin which, IMO, makes him the safer bet in a head to head matchup between the 2.

We don’t know that

What someone actually did > what someone else hypothetically could’ve done.

All we know is that carwin started his mma career at 12-0 n then retired from the sport after losing 2 in a row vs top guys.

Ngannou record vs past their prime top guys > whatever carwin has accomplished

N it’s not even close.

Also it’s too simplistic breaking down their matchup the way you did.

You can’t just say their striking is a wash n carwin is better wrestler therefore

Carwin > ngannou.

Obviously they both have power, however ngannou size n power is just on another level. That’s why most top guys look like amateurs when facing him. He’s so hard to deal with.

On the other hand we’ve seen jds just pick carwin apart standing.

So there’s no reasoning to believe ngannou couldn’t do the same.

We don’t know that

What someone actually did > what someone else hypothetically could’ve done.

All we know is that carwin started his mma career at 12-0 n then retired from the sport after losing 2 in a row vs top guys.

Ngannou record vs past their prime top guys > whatever carwin has accomplished

N it’s not even close.

Also it’s too simplistic breaking down their matchup the way you did.

You can’t just say their striking is a wash n carwin is better wrestler therefore

Carwin > ngannou.

Obviously they both have power, however ngannou size n power is just on another level. That’s why most top guys look like amateurs when facing him. He’s so hard to deal with.

On the other hand we’ve seen jds just pick carwin apart standing.

So there’s no reasoning to believe ngannou couldn’t do the same.
Lol, you claiming Francis' power is "just on another level" is the exact same thing you're accusing me of doing.

Yeah, Carwin retired after to losses against top guys but he absolutely destroyed Brock and that fight never should have made it out of the first RD to begin with so he only really got completely out classed once against a prime JDS who was a very different fighter to the one Francis beat last night and Francis has never given us any indication that he could do what JDS did sticking Carwin with the jab and picking him apart from the outside. Has Francis ever even thrown a jab?

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. I never said Carwin is a guaranteed win, I said he has more ways to win the fight making him the safer bet when combined with his chin and power to possibly make Francis hesitate like he did when faced with that same threat against Lewis.

I'd lean Francis due to being faster. Carwin didn't use his wrestling enough to threaten with it and they have equal cardio.

Prime Cain and JDS both crush Francis though.

I love Shane as much as the next guy but you guys are reaching here.

Back