Next UFC event to be held in a Stadium? *PICS

Bisping Silva could be man city stadium numbers. Need a roof though.

Nobody in England knows who Bisping is, let alone Anderson! They'd get nowhere near the city of Manchester Stadium full, maybe if Hatton switches to MMA they'd get that amount.

swebank arena in stockholm has a capasity of 50 000 for soccer (so, 60-70 000 with a cage in middle), and a roof...

The UFC wouldn't fill Wembley Stadium, not even close.

i know people who went to the toronto show and they said they couldnt see sht, so this would b even worse

I was one of them. You can see the cage, and you can see that stuff is happening in there, but you really need to look at the screens to view the action.

I don't necessarily regret going, but the "atmosphere" wasn't worth the price paid.

Cowboys stadium would be the way to go

WWE has put Wrestlemania in stadiums for years now. The Octagon is probably bigger than the wrestling ring - so it would have the same sight issues - and wwe sells out WM every year. You're there for the experience, the energy - but you're very likely watching most of the fight on the large screens no matter at what event you're at. Unless you're virtually ringside, MMA is better on television/screen than live. And close to the cage isn't the best for viewing either, but hearing the strikes smack and thud.

The problem my be ticket sales I think but Hell yeah all those look good dude

UFC makes its money off PPV buys, and sponsor ad buys. Ticket sales are a small part of the revenue stream of a UFC PPV event.

UFC makes its money off PPV buys, and sponsor ad buys. Ticket sales are a small part of the revenue stream of a UFC PPV event.

I see what you're saying but I guarantee they are not a small part of the revenue stream

I see what you're saying but I guarantee they are not a small part of the revenue stream

You don't think so?

Lets take UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans
Sold out gate = 2.2 million dollars
Total PPV Buys = 700k at 49.95 a pop = $34,965,000

2.2 million dollars in Ticket sales vs. 34.9 million in PPV buys

As I said, ticket sales are a small part of the revenue stream for the UFC.

I prefer smaller venues (eg 15K-25K arenas) where you can see the action, the crowd is very engaged and there's a ton of energy. MMA has this advantage over NFL and MLB, which are frankly better at home on the big screen if you're interested in the sport and not just to socialize.

to ^^^ - you can't consider gate / ticket sales only. You also have to consider merchandise and even concessions at some venues, which applies not only to the actual event, but also any other public events that occur around it (press conferences, weigh-ins, fan expos, etc). I suspect receipts are closer to 20% of PPV revenues, or 40% of the PPV revenues that the UFC gets to keep (recall they split PPV revs with the provider).

Last edited:
The only stadium possible over here would be Cardiff and as previously said about Boxing, the roof would be on with about half of the stadium used. Would still be a cracker though 30,000 odd there maybe. Would need to be something like Anderson-Bisping though.

You don't think so?

half of it goesto the ppv provider dish, direc tv, etc then the main event fighters get a cut of that so yeah not even close to what u thought

Its cool if you are actually attending but for PPV-buyers at home it makes no different at all. Same atmosphere, same lame production value as always. Didnt notice any difference between normal events and the GSP-Shields or the Anderson-Maia outdoor event. The same as always

Bisping Silva could be man city stadium numbers. Need a roof though.

Fuck the etihad. Put that shit on in Old Trafford. That would be absolutely epic.

Or for a smaller, more realistic venue white hart lane or st James park. Something like that would be more realistic to fill, but I do think the right card could come close to filling a 70k plus stadium. The trick would be selling tix cheap for all of the upper levels, etc.

half of it goesto the ppv provider dish, direc tv, etc then the main event fighters get a cut of that so yeah not even close to what u thought

He was talking about revenue, so while you're correct about the PPV provider taking half, paying fighters is part of the cost.

man it would be impossible to see anything but the big screens in some of those stadiums, I feel it would hurt the viewing process in a way.. Imagine some wall and stall or lnp from hundreds of feet away haha

You don't think so?

While thats true hiring Wembley Stadium isn't cheap and they would like to get that money back through ticket sales I would guess. Although as a one off just to say they filled Wembley they might want to take a hit on ticket money.

actually, half of that doesn't go to content providers. Maybe about 5-7 million in total. Plus, there are only 3-4 fighters in the UFC that get a PPV %, and that PPV % is only like 1-2%. And they're not fighting on EVERY PPV, that's only the cards that they are on. So yea.....a significant amount of the UFC's revenue stream STILL comes from PPV sales and ad buys from sponsors. Ticket sales are only a small amount of the total revenue stream as I originally stated. Ticket sales pretty much cover the total fighter payouts for an entire event including bonuses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back