Newbie Running Times

T

Treadly

So I just got back from my first run. I've ridden bikes my entire life and apart from the odd game of soccer or touch football, never really devoted much time to running.
According to my HRM I did 4.16km (2.58 miles) in 22:05.30. I know that's far from good so I'm just curious to see what sort of times other people do, so I can work towards a goal.
The run was all road work and included one fairly steep hill (former brick pit, now a park).
Thanks.

honestly the times you are running are really good compared to the "average" american.........but lets face it i dont think anyone registered at this site would be considered "average" unless we lived on planet Krypton

i just started running again and im about the same pace as you, to be able to go 2.5 miles on your first run is really good especailly in that time, i was considering joining AF Pararescue and they require 3 miles in under 18-20 min which is FAST! (along with a bunch of swimming and calesthenics) but you arent too far off that pace

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/running-plan-for-marathons

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/pft-run-workouts

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/improve-your-pft-mile-time

check those links out they are all related but have different bits of info depending on what kind of results you are looking for......other than that run till you cant breathe......then sprint till you collapse.......thats basically how we used to do it playing soccer back in high school

just make sure you stretch beofre and after to avoid injury and cramps and be careful of shin splints.....happened to me a few years ago after not running for a long time (when i quit playing soccer), its easier to take the first month slow than to spend 2-3 months not running while you are healing.....and always drink gatorade or something of that nature to replace those electrolytes you just lost

That's pretty good, especially for your first time running. I've been running with JROTC for a little while now, and I'm in pretty good shape, but I don't target running alone. I run a 5k (3.1 miles) on average just over 22 minutes.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of aiming for, 5km in 25 minutes, then once I can do that consistently add another 1 or 2km. I'm training in the morning so I can't really spend too much time running otherwise I won't make it to work :p

you're at good pace for just starting. when i started i did 1.5 miles in about 20 mins. today i knocked out 4.89 miles in 40 mins flat. my goal now is longer distances.. i want to be able to get into 10 mile runs by the end of the year

That's not too bad actually, today I banged out 10k in just over 45 minutes. I've been running for a while now and that's a good time for me!

I agree with the other posters, your time is not bad at all. I just started running, after taking some time off due to an injury, and currently run 4.5 miles in 35 minutes two times a week. I have been running on a treadmill however, because it feels easier on the body. I know that my times would be much slower outside. I plan on moving my runs outside in the near future.

That time is not bad I think. I just ran 4km in 19.58 min. There were a couple of very steep hills and i had to stop for about 15 seconds to tie my laces. I can quite comfortably do 4km in 20 min on the treadmill

This thread makes me want to go thrash out a 5km later tonight after training and see if I can pull a time close to 20 mins. It's been a while since I've run a tempo 5km, I'll run it tonight and report back how I go. I'm picking considering my current level of fitness that I'll be able to run it in about 21 minutes, but if training beforehand is hard, well, who knows haha

Ok just got back from my 5km run

5km = 21 minutes 36 seconds

Did the run less than half an hour after doing a 2.5 hour muay thai training. I think if I did it fresh I might be able to make it under 20 minutes.

Need to go to the track and run some repeats, my speed was letting me down. My cardio was A+, muay thai must be paying of.

Ok just got back from my 5km run

5km = 21 minutes 36 seconds

Did the run less than half an hour after doing a 2.5 hour muay thai training. I think if I did it fresh I might be able to make it under 20 minutes.

Need to go to the track and run some repeats, my speed was letting me down. My cardio was A+, muay thai must be paying of.

I haven't run a 5k since before I started Muay Thai training. I'll have to run tomorrow and compare my time! :)

thats honestly a great time, the first time i ran was a 5k in around 30 mins, but i did some running walking and was unable to settle in and pace myself

Running a half marathon in June, hope to go reasonably under 2 hours, maybe 1 hour 45 or so...

Just did my first Half-Marathon in 1:45.52. Averaged about a 8:05 mile.

Thats an awesome time for your first run, just keep it up and you'll get faster and faster.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm inspired by the 5km in under (or around) 20 mins. I think that's going to be my goal from now on. If I achieve that I might be able to do my runs in the morning rather than squeezing them in on off days.

Just did my first Half-Marathon in 1:45.52. Averaged about a 8:05 mile.

Sweet! That's about what I want to run. I'll see how I go, half-marathon is June 22nd so I still have some training to do

Advice for anyone running at a new distance or the first time, don't go out to fast. I ran alittle to fast at the start of a race and died at the finish.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm inspired by the 5km in under (or around) 20 mins. I think that's going to be my goal from now on. If I achieve that I might be able to do my runs in the morning rather than squeezing them in on off days.

thats my goal, i started out first run 3.5 in 30 mins, then a couple weeks later for a race i did a 5k in 24:00 now tonight (which is like 2 weeks later) i did 3 milles in 22:15 hoping to get to 20 already

Back