Economy New York leaders sign open letter to Amazon, asking it to reconsiders the canceled HQ2 in Queens

Did Amazon ever pick an alternative location?

I always thought they were going to pick NY regardless of the incentives because only so many places have the talent that can run the operations they were going to put there.

You can't just open a HQ anywhere and expect to get adequate staffing

Ahh the ol' "trust us just gives us billions and you'll make many more billions you just gotta believe!!!!!"

Btw if Amazon wasn't getting free money they would just open up shop in the place that charges the least taxes.
You really are dumb on this topic.

NYC is not giving Amazon money up front in 'trust' of getting money later.

The deal is as I said 'i buy the watch for $80. You get the $80. And make good money from me. But someone else complains you could have got another $35 from me had you not discounted.

You say ya, I lost $35.

I let you know that know you gained $80 as I was going elsewhere otherwise and you would get none of my money.

But you do not understand this topic just like AOC who thought she saved NYC $3B that could then be given to Teachers instead. lol. There is no $3B saving here for NYC. There is a loss of $27B because some say we need to make $30B or let Amazon leave.

Did Amazon ever pick an alternative location?

I always thought they were going to pick NY regardless of the incentives because only so many places have the talent that can run the operations they were going to put there.

You can't just open a HQ anywhere and expect to get adequate staffing
They're putting it in Arlington, VA.

AOC's reaction:

New Yorkers' reaction:

Last edited:
Page 1, post 8.

It doesn't appear that you answered my question in post 8.

It says that the Virginia location is more welcoming but it doesn't say that Amazon plans to shift the planned NY jobs to Virginia.

Did I miss something?

All 50k?

The plan was for 25k in VA and 25k in NY?

Do have an article saying all 50k are going to VA?
It says they don't plan to look for a replacement location and are just doing the Arlington one and the smaller one in Nashville, so I'm assuming they'll just disperse the other jobs between those places, but I suppose it could mean they just aren't going to add as many.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/ama...fter-mounting-opposition-reuters-reports.html

It doesn't appear that you answered my question in post 8.

It says that the Virginia location is more welcoming but it doesn't say that Amazon plans to shift the planned NY jobs to Virginia.

Did I miss something?
how is VIRGINIA more welcoming? We have taxes up the ass, the traffic is terrible, the zoning is corrupt and slow, and there isnt a public transportation system worth a damn. Arlington will be a bad fit and i say that as a Virginian.

It says they don't plan to look for a replacement location and are just doing the Arlington one and the smaller one in Nashville, so I'm assuming they'll just disperse the other jobs between those places, but I suppose it could mean they just aren't going to add as many.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/ama...fter-mounting-opposition-reuters-reports.html

Pretty sure Nashville is going to be a shared service center which is not the jobs they were doing in NY.

The fact that they have not said they are expanding the VA HQ makes me believe they aren't doing that (not that they won't).

This could just be posturing to get NY to react.

An increased expansion into VA wouldn't surprise me because DC is rich in talent but the fact they haven't stated such is a bit telling to me.

Smart money was them choosing NYC, Boston or DC regardless of tax incentives. That is still true.

And NY still has the most young talent

how is VIRGINIA more welcoming? We have taxes up the ass, the traffic is terrible, the zoning is corrupt and slow, and there isnt a public transportation system worth a damn. Arlington will be a bad fit and i say that as a Virginian.

Virginians aren't complaining about the tax breaks

Ya but look at this

Amazon received $14M in Washington state tax breaks under expired program

so @xcvbn will say that Washington State making $250MM could have been $264MM and therefore the tax payers got ripped off and should have instead drove Amazon away and then they would have saved that $14MM.

Its MATH.

Yeah he is married to the idea that anything a corporation does is illegitimate and the equivalent of stealing and abusing people. He is just unwilling to see any nuance or trade offs. It's all bad in his mind. Meanwhile if Amazon doesn't bother with New York they are guaranteed to get nothing.

If you are a watch maker and selling a watch for $100 and another watch maker makes an identical watch and has it for sale for $105 and then they see me shopping for a watch and the guy selling it for $105 says, "I will discount my watch and sell it to you for $80", that is not the watch maker losing money. he is still making money but choosing to make less to gain the $80 he otherwise would not have got.

Amazon estimates of contribution to NYC tax base was 10's of Billions of dollars. To get those 10's of Billions NYC said we will give you back $3B over time from your own money, to use for land and other needs.

NYC does not get the 10's of billions and they did not save $3B by driving Amazon away. They lost on both cases. The only argument you can make is maybe they make it up elsewhere with other companies.

Begrudging like.

I like that cities and states are bidding on ass fuckings like they're bidding for a sports event lmao

Does this apply to govt run healthcare too?"
Ahh the ol' "trust us just gives us billions and you'll make many more billions you just gotta believe!!!!!"

Btw if Amazon wasn't getting free money they would just open up shop in the place that charges the least taxes.

That narcissistic horse-faced nincompoop cost NYC greatly. Sad to see them beg like this when the wheels were in motion for them. AOC is woefully unequipped to do anything but dance on rooftops and perform twirling spin moves.

Back