New Work Out Schedule. Good? or Bad? (noob)

BruceOnJuice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello I have been weight lifting on and off for 6 years or so. I started BJJ in Jan. 2010 and cut down on my lifting alot, I am in good shape to do both now (BJJ & weight lifting) and wanted some advice from you guys (How many sets and reps should I be doing and what other workouts am I missing?). I am looking for improved strength this is my Work Out Schedule.

Monday
BJJ

Tuesday
Abs
Deadlift
Power Cleans
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup
1 mile run (under 7.5min.)

Wednesday
BJJ & Judo

Thursday
Abs
Squat
Decline bench press
Benchpress
Bent over row
1 mile run (under 7.5min.)

Friday
BJJ & Judo

Saturday
BJJ

Sunday
Rest

Thank you for your time.

Unless those days for BJJ are set in stone, you might want to spread the strength workouts out a bit more. Or you could do one on tues and the other on saturday. You also don't really need to do decline and regular bench press.

I would move the 1 mile run to non lifting days or do it long enough after lifting (few hours) so that you don't drift into catabolism.

Unless those days for BJJ are set in stone, you might want to spread the strength workouts out a bit more. Or you could do one on tues and the other on saturday. You also don't really need to do decline and regular bench press.

Thank you, I will move my thurs to sat.

This. No good reason to do Decline Bench.

I would move the 1 mile run to non lifting days or do it long enough after lifting (few hours) so that you don't drift into catabolism.

I always thought it was good to get a run in after lifting? I will move my runs to bjj days. Should I run before or after bjj?

I always thought it was good to get a run in after lifting? I will move my runs to bjj days. Should I run before or after bjj?

You can just wait a couple hours. I also am wondering if it would be ok if you got a drink afterwards with some carbs/protein in it. Then ran even if it was right after lifting. I'm not sure on that though.

A light run can help with active recovery and stretching but a mile at a pretty good clip could burn fat and muscle if you have not recovered from your lifting.

You're better off doing a good session of HIIT if you want to maintain your strength gains while burning fat. If you just want to work on conditioning, then I'd alternate between HIIT and LSD.

But, no matter which I did, I would wait a while after lifting and drink a gatorade or protein shake or something along those lines in between the lifting and cardio.

However, you can eliminate most of these concerns if you do them on different days.

If I were going to do BJJ and run a mile on the same day, I don't think it would make that much difference if you had a long enough gap between BJJ and the run as to which you did first.

Edit: I will add though that these concerns are minor because it's only one mile and you're not running long enough to really eat into your oxidative system, your CNS, or your muscular endurance if you're use to running a mile. I just would do it at a different time so as not to compromise strength gains.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/hiit-some-type-conditioning-after-lifting-1066007/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/post-work-out-cardio-1044765/index2.html

You can just wait a couple hours. I also am wondering if it would be ok if you got a drink afterwards with some carbs/protein in it. Then ran even if it was right after lifting. I'm not sure on that though.

I drink a muscle milk and eat a banana after each lift, I could do that before each run.

A light run can help with active recovery and stretching but a mile at a pretty good clip could burn fat and muscle if you have not recovered from your lifting.

You're better off doing a good session of HIIT if you want to maintain your strength gains while burning fat. If you just want to work on conditioning, then I'd alternate between HIIT and LSD.

But, no matter which I did, I would wait a while after lifting and drink a gatorade or protein shake or something along those lines in between the lifting and cardio.

However, you can eliminate most of these concerns if you do them on different days.

If I were going to do BJJ and run a mile on the same day, I don't think it would make that much difference if you had a long enough gap between BJJ and the run as to which you did first.

Edit: I will add though that these concerns are minor because it's only one mile and you're not running long enough to really eat into your oxidative system, your CNS, or your muscular endurance if you're use to running a mile. I just would do it at a different time so as not to compromise strength gains.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/hiit-some-type-conditioning-after-lifting-1066007/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/post-work-out-cardio-1044765/index2.html

Thank You.

Why do you eat a banana after each lift?

Bannanas are an excellent recovery and good energy food- they contain certain minerals that restore and enhance muscle function. Or so I have been told, it's prob made up in my head but they seem to help me recover from a hard workout.

Start off with a simpler routine, like the 2 day split from the FAQ, or starting strength done 2 days a week instead of 3. Once you've done that for a while you can adjust.

While Bananas are good, you don't need to eat that much during your workout, and it could very well be detrimental, since it draws blood away from your muscles and towards your stomach to help digest. Less food, and something easier to digest would be better, that is, if you even need to bother with peri-workout nutrition.

I don't really see a single hard mile being an especially good conditioning workout. You could divide it up and do it as intervals, do some kind of conditioning circuit, farmer's walks, pushing/pulling the prowler/a sled etc.

You mean you eat a banana after each lifting session right? Not each individual lift?

Start off with a simpler routine, like the 2 day split from the FAQ, or starting strength done 2 days a week instead of 3. Once you've done that for a while you can adjust.

While Bananas are good, you don't need to eat that much during your workout, and it could very well be detrimental, since it draws blood away from your muscles and towards your stomach to help digest. Less food, and something easier to digest would be better, that is, if you even need to bother with peri-workout nutrition.

I don't really see a single hard mile being an especially good conditioning workout. You could divide it up and do it as intervals, do some kind of conditioning circuit, farmer's walks, pushing/pulling the prowler/a sled etc.

I only eat one banana after the whole workout. I will start mixing up my runs with sprints and burpees after I get used to running again.

Oh ok makes sense now i thought you ment you ate a banana after each lift lulz.

Do your ab/core workouts at the end of your sessions instead of the beginning. You don't want to fatigue them before doing major lifts like deadlift/squat. Same goes for any arm isolation exercises.

I also advise you to consider doing a cookie cutter beginner routine with a 2-day split like SS.

Do your ab/core workouts at the end of your sessions instead of the beginning. You don't want to fatigue them before doing major lifts like deadlift/squat. Same goes for any arm isolation exercises.

I also advise you to consider doing a cookie cutter beginner routine with a 2-day split like SS.

I'll do that thank you.

What do you guys think about supplements? I want to get some sort of per work out drink or pills. Do you think those are a waste of time or work well?

Back