New Special Tourney Format (tell me what you think...)

When, where and how much for this tourney. It sounds great!

Also is this a one time deal, or is it going to be often. I am in NE ohio, and am looking to get into a tourney around the end of this/beginning of next year.

We run tourneys in florida, but are working on moving outside the state.

also, we are reserving this format for the "physical Chess Challenges" so they will be about 2-3 times a year tops...

we use a regular wrestling tourney format for all our tourneys which allows us to run them SUPER FAST...

do you not compete? or this would not make a difference to you? ( just trying to get some clarification)

Yes I compete all the time, this would just not make a difference for me.

I really loved Rickson's Budo Challenge and this reminds me of that. Get some drummers from a high school marching band to do some sick ass drum intro like in the Budo challenge (they used Taiko drummers I think). I am sure the drummers would do it real cheap too just to raise some money for the marching band.

What is the wrestling format you are talking about anyhow (other than the finals?). Why does it make it so much faster?

I like the finals being showcased. Good for the competitor and very good for spectators.

What is the wrestling format you are talking about anyhow (other than the finals?). Why does it make it so much faster?

3 things,

1) we run the entire tourney in rounds, so if one division is really big or is taking long to finish we don't hold up the mats.

2) we take the responsibility out of the table workers hands. the brackets are done on a computer instead of at each table (i hate nothing more than a dumb house wife trying to figure out my bracket at NAGA/GQ)

3) We have a head table, instead of people bringing issues to the table workers or referees, ALL issues are taken care of at the HT away from the mats...

Getting introduced with the lights dimmed is a badass experience. I've had a few amateur kb matches, and it feels like your heart is going to explode out of your chest!

And then when you're competing, the crowd seems dead silent. It's trippy, but it really does feel sort of peaceful in there.

^ this is what im talking about...

This isn't really a new "tournament format" per se? This is all cosmetic? A new tournament "format" would be different time limits, or NO time limits, or non standard weight classes, or submission only. Not "we're going to announce your name while we shine lights on you! Oh...and our mats will be black with red trim!" So I'm with BatBoy, this wouldn't make one iota of difference to me one way or the other. It's not like I sit around saying, "damn, I wish they had a format where they would shine a light on me and I could get my name announced? I would definitely enter that tournament over the South Bay Open for sure!"

3 things,

1) we run the entire tourney in rounds, so if one division is really big or is taking long to finish we don't hold up the mats.

2) we take the responsibility out of the table workers hands. the brackets are done on a computer instead of at each table (i hate nothing more than a dumb house wife trying to figure out my bracket at NAGA/GQ)

3) We have a head table, instead of people bringing issues to the table workers or referees, ALL issues are taken care of at the HT away from the mats...

1. I also don't understand what you mean by "rounds"? Isn't every tourny run by rounds? If one division is really big, it's going to take a long time to finish anyway you do it? Lots of people, lots of time.

2. Any major tournament I've been too usually has some sort of computer spitting out the brackets. Hell, most of them do so days in advance of the tournament. I've never been to a NAGA or GQ event but I've never competed when I didn't see a break down before hand or there was a competent organizer on hand to logically figure it out (I'll admit that at times that person has been ME.) Having to wait for some house wife to figure out would indeed rile me up a bit though.

3. Seems pretty standard as well. I'm not sure there is anything magical about the "wrestling format" you're stating. Sounds like you are describing ANY well run tournament?

1. I also don't understand what you mean by "rounds"? Isn't every tourny run by rounds? If one division is really big, it's going to take a long time to finish anyway you do it? Lots of people, lots of time.

2. Any major tournament I've been too usually has some sort of computer spitting out the brackets. Hell, most of them do so days in advance of the tournament. I've never been to a NAGA or GQ event but I've never competed when I didn't see a break down before hand or there was a competent organizer on hand to logically figure it out (I'll admit that at times that person has been ME.) Having to wait for some house wife to figure out would indeed rile me up a bit though.

3. Seems pretty standard as well. I'm not sure there is anything magical about the "wrestling format" you're stating. Sounds like you are describing ANY well run tournament?

1) no most all grappling tourneys run each Division in rounds. so if the beg 120lb division is on mat one the entire div from start to finish will run on that mat before the next div can begin. this means if competitors need rest in between matches that mat is waiting on them. we run the ENTIRE tourney in rounds,

3) never said it was magical, just logical and well run...

How long are matches? Even at 5 minutes per final at 9 weight classes that is 45 minutes minimum. If you have three division thats over 2 hours extra. Plus no gi double that, and add another 15 minutes for the absolut. Seems like a long day....

1) no most all grappling tourneys run each Division in rounds. so if the beg 120lb division is on mat one the entire div from start to finish will run on that mat before the next div can begin. this means if competitors need rest in between matches that mat is waiting on them. we run the ENTIRE tourney in rounds,

3) never said it was magical, just logical and well run...

Always wanted to see a BJJ tournament use a round format. Gives people a little more rest between matches also.

How long are matches? Even at 5 minutes per final at 9 weight classes that is 45 minutes minimum. If you have three division thats over 2 hours extra. Plus no gi double that, and add another 15 minutes for the absolut. Seems like a long day....

it is going to be a longer day than normal tourneys, that is why we are only running these a few times a year. our regular tourneys usually end around 5pm.

this will be more of an event.

Always wanted to see a BJJ tournament use a round format. Gives people a little more rest between matches also.

yep, everyone likes that the most. we can hold one match with out holding up an entire mat...

I fucking love this idea. I stopped competing in grappling tournaments to do ammy muay thai fights specifically because of the lack of excitement in grappling. The most you usually get out of a crowd is a round of applause, theres no build up, no pressure. When you win its just like "ok". This will put some much needed excitement into the sport.

Man I would really like to do one of your tournaments you have some nice ideas going on. Maybe I can plan a beach excursion for the wife and kids around one of you tournament dates.

I have never understood how every wrestling tournament I ever went to was run smoothly and never had thing like guys showing up at 8am and not fighting till 6pm but in BJJ tourneys it seems to be the norm. The matches aren't any longer (with the exception of BB) and there are often less competitor and more volunteers.

One of the biggest obstacles is weigh-ins just prior to the division start. We would always weigh in the night before and deal with any bracket issues then. Even when I traveled for tourney's this still worked.

But I like the idea of doing the touney in rounds. All the opening rounds get done, then the next round for all weight's etc. That mean no one is sitting in the stands for 8 hours before he has to compete in 3 matches inside an hour. You fight, wait, fight, wait, and then fight again.

Back