new Russian game show like Hunger Games: contestants fight for survival with knives; rape, murder

Distinctly possible. With the knowledge that they will be filmed the entire time and accountable for their actions to the Russian police, there might be enough of a deterrent not to rape or kill each other. I don't know enough about Russian criminal culture to know how Russians respect the rule of law. I know that the Russian government and crime lords are often backed by one another, but I don't know how that translates to the average Russian citizen. Why anyone would want to live in that country is beyond me...
Maybe. From what I hear about people who on reality shows, at least in America, the first few days of having a camera on them all the time are awkward but almost everyone says after a while, they forget it's there.

There is a possibility these people just get used to the camera, forgot about it and let their depraved nature become fully exposed.

Maybe. From what I hear about people who on reality shows, at least in America, the first few days of having a camera on them all the time are awkward but almost everyone says after a while, they forget it's there.

There is a possibility these people just get used to the camera, forgot about it and let their depraved nature become fully exposed.
Do you think that they'll forget the cameras enough to rape and murder one another after they've come from a lifetime of conditioning where those things are both illegal and immoral?

Do you think that they'll forget the cameras enough to rape and murder one another after they've come from a lifetime of conditioning where those things are both illegal and immoral?

Sounds like there's just as much chance of them contentedly whittling their own booze and smokes.

FYI rape isn't a great survival technique and only wastes precious energy. Anyone who watches Survivorman knows that. Les just never learns

There's a famous documentary where a CEO got so comfortable with the cameras around him that he started doing his illegal business practises on camera.

Also that Hollywood producer who accidentally confessed to a double murder on microphone and had his case retried.

And then there's that rape on Big Brother....

These people aren't a bunch savages. They're not gonna rape and kill other people lol.

There's a famous documentary where a CEO got so comfortable with the cameras around him that he started doing his illegal business practises on camera.

Also that Hollywood producer who accidentally confessed to a double murder on microphone and had his case retried.

Fair enough, but those were things that those people had already done or were conditioned to doing. The camera was not a sufficient stimulus to alter their existing behaviors or prevent them from disclosing behaviors that they had participated in. In this case, the camera is a deterrent to adopting NEW behaviors. As for the rape on Big Brother (I'm not familiar with it), is there any evidence to suggest that he had been a participant in previous rape cases? Or perhaps he was the anomaly, conducting this rape without regards to being on camera. If the latter, then that would serve to promote your argument, but that is also one rape in how many reality TV shows where consensual sex occurs? I don't see this playing out like the Hunger Games at all, controlling for how much the average contestant believes in the rule of law.

I really want this to be true. I'll watch. It can be like American Ninja Warrior, except people will train for this by starting fires and killing people in their backyard until they feel they've trained enough for the show.

Or maybe I was wrong...back story?

On Big Brother Brazil some asshole banged another contestant while she was passed out drunk
Just looked it up. That guy totally raped that unconscious drunk girl. What a POS. There seems to be another case of this for Big Brother South Africa. It follows a similar narrative. Girl passes out from alcohol, guy bangs her, girl has no idea what happened. That's fucking terrible.

Probably not. Anyone who would resort to that was probably always a depraved individual. The real deterrent would be the societal conditioning against such actions, not so much the cameras.

At the beginning, I'm sure everyone, even the average person like us, would try to look and act their best for the cameras. However, after 2 weeks of being in crappy conditions, struggling to survive, I doubt any of us would give a shit about looking good in front of the cameras. We would not care that we look dirty and desperate on camera. We would just care about doing just about anything to make it through the ordeal.

Fair enough, but those were things that those people had already done or were conditioned to doing. The camera was not a sufficient stimulus to alter their existing behaviors or prevent them from disclosing behaviors that they had participated in. In this case, the camera is a deterrent to adopting NEW behaviors. As for the rape on Big Brother (I'm not familiar with it), is there any evidence to suggest that he had been a participant in previous rape cases? Or perhaps he was the anomaly, conducting this rape without regards to being on camera. If the latter, then that would serve to promote your argument, but that is also one rape in how many reality TV shows where consensual sex occurs? I don't see this playing out like the Hunger Games at all, controlling for how much the average contestant believes in the rule of law.

It sounds like they're mostly going to be hiding cameras in trees and maybe following them overhead with drones. People talk about forgetting there are cameras around when there are entire production crews following you around with massive amounts of equipment. In the outdoors, with wealthy and armed Russians, hungry, cold, with adrenaline, and not a camera in sight... I think some terrible shit could happen.

you ever try to rape someone at minus 40' degrees?

failure to launchsky

I was just wondering why survivor doesn't do a freezing cold area for one of their seasons. I guess this fits that. I don't get how you win though? You have to be the last person alive, so being forced to kill? If so that is like the hunger games, otherwise, I don't see anything about voting others out, etc.

there's a "in soviet russia" joke somewhere in all of this, but i am not witty enough to think of anything. :(

It sounds like they're mostly going to be hiding cameras in trees and maybe following them overhead with drones. People talk about forgetting there are cameras around when there are entire production crews following you around with massive amounts of equipment. In the outdoors, with wealthy and armed Russians, hungry, cold, with adrenaline, and not a camera in sight... I think some terrible shit could happen.
I just don't buy into this line of thinking, and I've seen some people do some pretty terrible things to one another in my life. I think that with the threat vectors that are the cold of the Siberian winters, animal threats (better use bear bags and get your clothes that you've eaten in up in the trees!), and requirements to acquire food and clean water, they will plenty on their minds other than raping and murdering one another, especially when they consider that there will be consequences of their filmed actions. I think that you'll see those Spetsnaz guys form a collaborative community, and others will key off of that. There's no incentive to being the last man standing like Survivor [at least from what I can tell, as the article led me to believe that everyone at the end gets $2.2M(unless they have to split that prize amongst the winners)], so it makes more sense to have more people assisting for the betterment of the organization.

I just don't buy into this line of thinking, and I've seen some people do some pretty terrible things to one another in my life. I think that with the threat vectors that are the cold of the Siberian winters, animal threats (better use bear bags and get your clothes that you've eaten in up in the trees!), and requirements to acquire food and clean water, they will plenty on their minds other than raping and murdering one another, especially when they consider that there will be consequences of their filmed actions. I think that you'll see those Spetsnaz guys form a collaborative community, and others will key off of that. There's no incentive to being the last man standing like Survivor [at least from what I can tell, as the article led me to believe that everyone at the end gets $2.2M(unless they have to split that prize amongst the winners)], so it makes more sense to have more people assisting for the betterment of the organization.

I think you're probably correct, but I wonder how much prodding the producers will do to get the most outrageous television and how easily the people will forget the consequences.

This being Russia, are we SURE it's only a game?

Back