• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media New Jiri footage hitting the bag

The amount of people critiquing jiri and his style in here is crazy to me. You all want to train the fun out of him and make his style a boring caricature of what you think good technique looks like -- you want him to train like the majority of other fighters, despite the fact that he has been champ and is better than the majority of other fighters.

Let jiri do his thing and enjoy the entertainment!
WE WANT TRADITIONAL PREDICTABLE BORING WRESTLE-BOXERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Imagine telling Roy Jones he cant do leaping shoryukens from across the ring? the fuck you mean he cant do that ? I just seen him do it.

Not a normal fighter. Never gonna be a normal fighter. His coaches are smart enough to realize that and hes been pretty much a very successful mma fighter so I dont understand what anyones problem is??
Not a problem, he can do what he wants, and as you say - he has been successful.

But imagine how good he could be if he did not sit 3 days in a dark room and silly shit like that. I think it was Mighty Mouse that was talking about his training, where he said (and I am paraphrasing here) - "There is only so many hours a day you can train, so it is all about being as effective with your time as you can be, to gain as much as you can". And from a laymans perspective, a lot of what Jiri does seems like waste of time.

If Jiri had had better defense, I think he could have taken Alex for example. And I think every loss Jiri has has been because of his defense, or lack thereoff.

Not a problem, he can do what he wants, and as you say - he has been successful.

But imagine how good he could be if he did not sit 3 days in a dark room and silly shit like that. I think it was Mighty Mouse that was talking about his training, where he said (and I am paraphrasing here) - "There is only so many hours a day you can train, so it is all about being as effective with your time as you can be, to gain as much as you can"

If Jiri had had better defense, I think he could have taken Alex for example. And I think every loss Jiri has has been because of his defense, or lack thereoff.
His style isn't about being defensive. His style is completely offense based. If he had normal defense he couldn't fight like he does

His style isn't about being defensive. His style is completely offense based. If he had normal defense he couldn't fight like he does
You can have offense with good defense.

But bro, it is not an attack on Jiri. I am not gonna sit here as a layman and tell a professional fighter what would be better, it is just an opinion, like - I think if BJ Penn had taken his training serious, he could have been even better. I think if Tony had not trained like a crazy man, his body might not have been so fucked up. I think If Diego had not trained with Joshua Fabia, he would have done better.
And I think that if Jiri had better defense and focused more on "real" training, he would have beat Alex.

It is his life, he can do what he wants.

You can have offense with good defense.

But bro, it is not an attack on Jiri. I am not gonna sit here as a layman and tell a professional fighter what would be better, it is just an opinion, like - I think if BJ Penn had taken his training serious, he could have been even better. I think if Tony had not trained like a crazy man, his body might not have been so fucked up. I think If Diego had not trained with Joshua Fabia, he would have done better.
And I think that if Jiri had better defense and focused more on "real" training, he would have beat Alex.

It is his life, he can do what he wants.
I dont think comparing Jiri to Diego and Tony is fair. I mean Diego was with Fabia for like a cup of coffee at the end of his career anyway.

I dont think comparing Jiri to Diego and Tony is fair. I mean Diego was with Fabia for like a cup of coffee at the end of his career anyway.
I am not comparing them as fighters, just comparing their "weird" training techniques. And Tony was a fucking beats - I think he was on a 10+ fight win streak when he released the footage of him kicking a iron pole.

Do you really think sitting in a dark room for 3 days is the most efficient use of his time?

its not kicking poles is it ?
Kicking an iron pole seems more efficient relatively to MMA. But both kicking iron poles, and sitting in a dark room for 3 days, seems a bit silly and inefficient in the larger picture of training for MMA

And I am tired here - I did not even notice your jiri avatar, so let me reiterate - Bro, it is not an attack on jiri. He is a beast. I feel you are taking this the wrong way.

He looks long as fuck in this video.

Was he in one of those during his three days in the dark?

iu

I love Jiri, and I'm no MMA technical expert, but man alive I get the sense he has zero striking defence beyond having his long arms always in your way. Even in this video, he looks so hitable.

I agree with the Tony-of-LHW comments. I think Jiri is gonna fall off a cliff when he starts to slow down a little bit.

There's something very entertaining and quite succesful about the totally-unique and intense styles that guys like Tony and Jiri bring to the table, but it is absolutely rooted in physical talents like speed,timing and maybe most importantly, chin. Once these start to diminish even a little bit, it seems, the falloff is severe.

You can't help but wonder how much better these kinds of guys would do with a more traditional, more-defensive-minded training regime.
The Just Bleed Gods don’t choose disciples that are defense-minded.

You could post a clip of x fighter walking his dog and half this forum would throw shade about said fighters technique.

Hes our todays Diego Sanchez.

I just want to see Jiri practice calf kick defense.

Looks solid to me, just getting daily work in, developing a style your own takes time and every rep counts...that linear straight he throws is very sneaky.. almost no setup and comes from hip like a sword stab...very interesting... he's really focusing on the true aspect of Mix Martial Arts... Taking the individual elements and styles and molding them to you.. this is what all fighters should be striving to do v.s Cookie cutter mma training...where yes u generally improve overtime but at a slower pace and less specialization..

Interested to see how he looks in his next fight...coming off injury , the 2nd fight back is usually better

Jiri's problem is he's all offense. He doesn't really need more wild, unpredictable or sneaky attacks, he needs to work on his defense. The Tony Ferguson comparison does carry some weight, although Jiri seems like a much more well-balanced individual

Back