New Japanese fighting event "Ganryujima"

Ganryujima was on some FUJI TV program (Sports Variety, i think) on the 28th. i think they were just discussing it though.

Any new info on this event?

It's about five weeks away now. I tried reading translated text on the site but it doesn't seem like anything has been hammered out yet in terms of rules, but I could be wrong.

Sounds completely retarded but interesting at the same time.

time to start getting excited:

Asia MMA: Ganryujima announces the first participants in the 8-man Openweight Tournament

tournament.png

that actually looks like quite an interesting line-up to be fair!

watanabe ,football players and random giant Chinese

sign me up .

Anything final on the groin strikes mentioned in the first post then?

Anything final on the groin strikes mentioned in the first post then?

the rule page for the event has been pretty thoroughly updated and i believe it says low blows are illegal. you can read the rules (in japanese) here.

the rule page for the event has been pretty thoroughly updated and i believe it says low blows are illegal. you can read the rules (in japanese) here.

Can someone translate the ruleset into English? I'm just wondering if submissions are still a no go.

Edit: I just saw the article state submissions are still a no go.

It won't catch on; none of the "Next Evolution of Combat" promotions do. YAMMA Pit Fighting failed miserably because it was relying too heavy on being the "Evolution of MMA." World Combat League failed because it relied too heavy on being the Evolution of Kickboxing. BKB is supposed to be the evolution of boxing ...wanna guess what their future holds?

Can any of you really tell me that you've been sitting around and saying to yourself "Man, I really wish the rules were completely different and unrecognizable"?

It won't catch on; none of the "Next Evolution of Combat" promotions do. YAMMA Pit Fighting failed miserably because it was relying too heavy on being the "Evolution of MMA." World Combat League failed because it relied too heavy on being the Evolution of Kickboxing. BKB is supposed to be the evolution of boxing ...wanna guess what their future holds?

Can any of you really tell me that you've been sitting around and saying to yourself "Man, I really wish the rules were completely different and unrecognizable"?

Not completely unrecognizable, but I'm not adverse to change. Homogeneous styles aka wrestle box; cage pressing; cage takedowns; elbows used to cut to stop fights; lay and pray....I'm quite frankly sick of it. And I'm sure I'm not alone. I think it can be argued that MMA has gone stale.

The promoters can always change the rules if the fighting looks too foreign. The Japanese promotions have always shown a willingness to tweak things where things need to be tweaked. That is one of the perks of not having to fight through the bureaucratic nonsense of athletic commissions.

I think they should have submissions and a degree of grappling on the mat if it leads to a finish, like in judo. I understand why they didn't want boring hump fests on the ground, but they have went a bit too far by eliminating it altogether.

I'm willing to wait and see before I write off an event before it happens -- especially by a promoter who has had big success in combat sports.

Would these fights go on the fighters' MMA records? Because there are some MMA fighters fighting at this event, apparently. Minowaman and Lelo Aurelio being some of ones mentioned.

About the actual rules, I'm not sure if I like it. The no submissions rule is pretty dumb, and the "you lose if you get pushed off the mat 3 times" is also pretty dumb.

Would these fights go on the fighters' MMA records? Because there are some MMA fighters fighting at this event, apparently. Minowaman and Lelo Aurelio being some of ones mentioned.

About the actual rules, I'm not sure if I like it. The no submissions rule is pretty dumb, and the "you lose if you get pushed off the mat 3 times" is also pretty dumb.

Why wouldn't it? With that train of thought, you may as well remove all the Pancrase fights with their "modified" rules for striking.

Back