New Japanese fighting event "Ganryujima"

IF they can get seating, the mat/ring, porta-potties, lighting, generators ...in general, event equipment onto the island by boat, they can get it done.

It could be on a small scale like Bodog did with their unique backdrops.

Obviously February wouldn't be the ideal time to pull this off.

There better be water around the ring. If they take that out it will make it much less interesting.

IF they can get seating, the mat/ring, porta-potties, lighting, generators ...in general, event equipment onto the island by boat, they can get it done.

It could be on a small scale like Bodog did with their unique backdrops.

Obviously February wouldn't be the ideal time to pull this off.

i don't know if doing it on the actual island is in the cards, but i think in the discussion thread on their website tanikawa was talking about wanting to do it outside, or at least it's something they're considering.

I don't understand how there can be no submissions, they don't want grappling I guess... I assume a fighter can still tap out though right?

maybe they are trying to make it like the kumite in bloodsport

I can appreciate that they don't want to bore fans with rolling around on the ground if it doesn't lead to a finish. If they did allow subs, it should be like the newaza in judo where either you progress quickly to a finishing technique or the fight is stood up in the event of a fighter pulling guard and you cannot pass quickly.

At least allow standing subs.

Last edited:
The legend has returned!

sadaharu-tanikawa.jpg

how can someone look like a little kid & an old man at the same time?

Real life Virtua Fighter.....I need to see this...*Bookmarked*

ringout.jpg

this is wrestler's paradise. can't be submitted from bottom, can win by just clinching and pushing the guy out of the mat.

I will look forward to seeing a wrestler getting kneed on a fours, as well as soccer kicked and hopefully stomped too.

There better be water around the ring. If they take that out it will make it much less interesting.

Let's rock and/or kick people in the balls, then judo throw them into the water. Not dangerous at all.

Fun rules, but I'd feel uncomfortable watching this.

Let's rock and/or kick people in the balls, then judo throw them into the water. Not dangerous at all.

Fun rules, but I'd feel uncomfortable watching this.

They will probably have life guards. It should be fine. Or they could have Ivan Drago style:

drago-ifhedieshedies.jpg

They will probably have life guards. It should be fine. Or they could have Ivan Drago style:

drago-ifhedieshedies.jpg

I realize this, but an unconscious or hurt person can still inhale a huge amount of water, and, even if non-lethal, it's still a bit of a rough thing to have to go through.

I don't see the need for water not do I think it would be a good idea. It can be like sumo, where you can get tossed out of the ring and still be safe. Water is more dangerous, with potentially unconscious fighters falling into it. You also have to have soaked fighters return back into the ring, which will make the fighting area slippery and really uncomfortable for a fighter to perform in a wet gi. Lastly, its a logistics nightmare to try and set up a fighting area, camera people, judges and crowd, all the while incorporating a moat in the middle of it all. Could you imagine a camera guy falling in with his expensive gear. It's just a bad idea all around.

I don't understand how there can be no submissions, they don't want grappling I guess... I assume a fighter can still tap out though right?

maybe they are trying to make it like the kumite in bloodsport

If they allow head-butts, groin strikes, strikes to a grounded opponent, etc, I don't think would have to worry about submissions leading to the fight becoming a grappling fest. Irregardless of submissions, these guys will instinctively grapple to get out of difficult positions, but if ground strikes are allowed, head-butts, groin strikes, I don't think you have to worry about a boring ground fight. The action and dynamism will be there with the rule set. I hope they re-consider the lack of submissions. I think they should start out with submissions first and re-consider tha aspect of it later on. I think it's already different enough, where they could allow submissions or at least standing submissions.

I don't see the need for water not do I think it would be a good idea. It can be like sumo, where you can get tossed out of the ring and still be safe. Water is more dangerous, with potentially unconscious fighters falling into it. You also have to have soaked fighters return back into the ring, which will make the fighting area slippery and really uncomfortable for a fighter to perform in a wet gi. Lastly, its a logistics nightmare to try and set up a fighting area, camera people, judges and crowd, all the while incorporating a moat in the middle of it all. Could you imagine a camera guy falling in with his expensive gear. It's just a bad idea all around.

I think the wetness when returning to the ring would be an interesting dynamic. Its like when fighters get slippery from sweat in the late rounds but x1000. As for the logistics of the water, there were some good designs on the discussion page. Also Pride FC did crazier things.

Is there any more info on he show any rumored match ups of fighters lined up. I know its japan so likely last minute but anything confirmed yet?

I'd hope to see some good sacrifice throws, if you can win by getting your opponent out of bounds.

Ganryujima website has a membership-free forum where Tanigawa is still discussing with fan the rules and fighters they want to see.

Back