New Findings About Head Trauma Will Change MMA To A More Catch Wrestling Type Sport

You didn't need a study to know that having the equivalent of a baseball bat hit you in the head at high speed more than likely has long term effects. This is the risk an MMA fighter takes.

So you're saying that NFL will be banned and boxing too?

I didn't say that. This forum is for discussing MMA. I have no interest in whether or not the NFL or boxing get banned. Neither is of any interest to me. I wouldn;t be surprised if boxing becomes illegal or at least has changes in the rules somewhat like The UFC is going to experience changes in the rules which will favor wrestlers who are experts at submission holds or "hooks." The mounting evidence on the adverse long term effects of head trauma is too great for there not to be corresponding rule changes in The UFC. If you happen to be one of those people who enjoys two men trying to turn each other's brains into pudding, enjoy watching it while you still can. I prefer the game of human chess which catch wrestling is.

I didn't say that. This forum is for discussing MMA. I have no interest in whether or not the NFL or boxing get banned. Neither is of any interest to me. I wouldn;t be surprised if boxing becomes illegal or at least has changes in the rules somewhat like The UFC is going to experience changes in the rules which will favor wrestlers who are experts at submission holds or "hooks." The mounting evidence on the adverse long term effects of head trauma is too great for there not to be corresponding rule changes in The UFC. If you happen to be one of those people who enjoys two men trying to turn each other's brains into pudding, enjoy watching it while you still can. I prefer the game of human chess which catch wrestling is.

You're talking out of your ass. There is mounting evidence that having your arm completely hyper-extended has long term adverse effects. Where's the thread predicting a change in the rules regarding submissions and how they're applied?

Boxing has seen the death of numerous boxers at the highest stage during its history and it hasn't been banned, so why in the world would MMA, a sport where there have been few deaths and none of them in a big org mind you, start banning strikes?

There are two reasons why they would start banning strikes to the head. One is the advancement of medical science which leads to increasingly grim findings on the long term effects of head trauma and concussions in particular. The other reason is we llive in a society which is becoming increasingly more squeamish. Look at how obsessed out country has become with the use of racial slurs. Those are just words. We're turning into a society full of people who are so weak they can't rise above a word? Sticks and stones...

If anything remotely close to that happens this sport will be dead. Literally nobody will follow it outside of people who like watching competitive grappling. Which I do by the way, I'm a former competitor myself. But MMA isn't changing anytime soon it would be a death nail to the sport.

There are two reasons why they would start banning strikes to the head. One is the advancement of medical science which leads to increasingly grim findings on the long term effects of head trauma and concussions in particular. The other reason is we llive in a society which is becoming increasingly more squeamish. Look at how obsessed out country has become with the use of racial slurs. Those are just words. We're turning into a society full of people who are so weak they can't rise above a word? Sticks and stones...
Highly unlikely for it to happen. They would have to ban a ton of other sports before going for MMA. Just because there have been findings doesn't mean that they will just flat out pull the plug on one of the "safest" combat sports, they would go for the ones that produce more brain trauma. MMA may look more dangerous but it's actually pretty safe for it being a combat sport.

And while you are somewhat right with the stuff of people being more squeamish and easily triggered, those are just the minority (don't take this out of context, I don't mean any racist shit with this), the vast majority either don't care about that or are against it, the people that gets triggered and bitch about everything just seem to have a louder voice.

look how many times ovreem has been ko'd and same with bisping. those guys are fine.

on the other hand george st. pierre was not fine
How is Bisping even mentioned in the same sentence as Overeem as far as brain trauma? Bisping has been ko/tko'd twice in his mma career, to Overeem's 9. And Overeem's has even been finished 3 times in professional kick boxing.

No it won't happen and I wouldn't watch it anymore.

I'd watch kickboxing and boxing only if that were to happen. And no those sports won't go anywhere either.

NFL is damn near banned now. Anytime you see a big hit even one that is clean you sit and wait for the flag. They have pussified the sport. Soon it will look like high school 7 on 7.
You should start watching Rugby League, especially the state of origin. It's similar to old school NFL just minus the pads.

You should start watching Rugby League, especially the state of origin. It's similar to old school NFL just minus the pads.
I do watch it when I can catch it on. Not shown much on American television but I love the sport.

It's called Sport Jiu Jitsu homie.

If anything remotely close to that happens this sport will be dead. Literally nobody will follow it outside of people who like watching competitive grappling. Which I do by the way, I'm a former competitor myself. But MMA isn't changing anytime soon it would be a death nail to the sport.

That's death knell, not "death nail." That's quite an exaggeration to think that banning strikes to the head would mean the death of the sport. Already there are plenty of MMA fans who don't follow pro boxing even though if you enjoy seeing people get hit in the head, boxing provides much more of it than MMA.

Pancrase was extremely popular in Japan until No Holds Barred Fighting took over. Eventually NHB with its more brutal style including headsets and knees to the head of a downed opponent was made illegal and we were left with MMA. I preferred watching NHB because it was a much more realistic way of determining which man would win in a fight that literally had no rules.

Today's MMA has so many rules compared to early UFC that it's nothing more than sport fighting. The man who wins is the man best able to utilize the tules in his favor. Still, I chose to still watch UFC instead of go without watching any type of fighting. It's just a shame that the sport has been watered down so much when it used to be a pretty good indicator of what works in an actual no holds barred fight and what doesn't work.

Pancrase wasn't a great determinant of what works best in an actual no holds barred fight, but from an entertainment point of view, it had some advantages over NHB and even modern day UFC. One advantage was that fights could be more entertaining because if a man was able to work his way to the ropes and grab ahold of a rope, his opponent had to give a clean break. This made fights last longer (which was the intent of the UFC instituting rounds in its fights). This added another type of strategy to a fight because a submission hold had to be applied beyond reach of the ropes in order to be effective. If a fighter had the ability to withstand the pain, he could drag himself towards the ropes while enduring the hold which added another dramatic element to the fights. So Pancrase had both good and bad elements which made it different from today's UFC. I'm convinced it was better for the health of the athletes involved.

If MMA in its present form were made illegal, I don't believe all or most of its fans would rather "starve" than watch the changed product. When NHB was outlawed it was either watch MMA or starve and look at what happened. I rest my case.

I do watch it when I can catch it on. Not shown much on American television but I love the sport.

For some reason rugby has never really caught on the USA compared to football. If you don't live here you might not realize just how big the difference in popularity is between rugby and football in The U.S.A. For many years baseball was the most popular sport in the country but now I'd say baseball is second to football in popularity although baseball has a higher yearly attendance.

That's death knell, not "death nail." That's quite an exaggeration to think that banning strikes to the head would mean the death of the sport. Already there are plenty of MMA fans who don't follow pro boxing even though if you enjoy seeing people get hit in the head, boxing provides much more of it than MMA.

Pancrase was extremely popular in Japan until No Holds Barred Fighting took over. Eventually NHB with its more brutal style including headsets and knees to the head of a downed opponent was made illegal and we were left with MMA. I preferred watching NHB because it was a much more realistic way of determining which man would win in a fight that literally had no rules.

Today's MMA has so many rules compared to early UFC that it's nothing more than sport fighting. The man who wins is the man best able to utilize the tules in his favor. Still, I chose to still watch UFC instead of go without watching any type of fighting. It's just a shame that the sport has been watered down so much when it used to be a pretty good indicator of what works in an actual no holds barred fight and what doesn't work.

Pancrase wasn't a great determinant of what works best in an actual no holds barred fight, but from an entertainment point of view, it had some advantages over NHB and even modern day UFC. One advantage was that fights could be more entertaining because if a man was able to work his way to the ropes and grab ahold of a rope, his opponent had to give a clean break. This made fights last longer (which was the intent of the UFC instituting rounds in its fights). This added another type of strategy to a fight because a submission hold had to be applied beyond reach of the ropes in order to be effective. If a fighter had the ability to withstand the pain, he could drag himself towards the ropes while enduring the hold which added another dramatic element to the fights. So Pancrase had both good and bad elements which made it different from today's UFC. I'm convinced it was better for the health of the athletes involved.

If MMA in its present form were made illegal, I don't believe all or most of its fans would rather "starve" than watch the changed product. When NHB was outlawed it was either watch MMA or starve and look at what happened. I rest my case.
TLDR Mr grammar Nazi. Sounds like you're just a bit pussified when it comes to head shots. Which is fine MMA isn't for you. Lol at Pancrase. It was popular at the time sure, but have you watched one of those old fights lately? They look fucking ridiculous with the open hand slaps and forearms. Fuck that shit.

No offense but you sound like a complete pussy. A lot of shit is dangerous, just living in this world is a danger to your health. Should we attempt to nerf the world? Make everything except being wrapped in bubble wrap in a quarantined padded room illegal? Theres 3 thousand automobile related deaths per day. Lets ban driving! And who and how is this going to be enforced? You sound like some nanny state government oversight :eek::eek::eek:.

What is the real goal of banning mma? To prevent injury and death? Sorry that isnt going to happen, ever. Everyones going to fucking die, people will continue to get hurt there is no stopping it. You can ban mma and Mark Hunt might still trip and fall down his stairs and break his neck the next day or even more likely get in a car accident and get brain damage or die. Let people determine their own fucking future. Im sick of these pussified authoritarians trying to tell people what they can and cant do.

There is no epidemic of injury or death in mma. Not even close. And its been proven other sports are far more dangerous statistically. Even cheerleading is more dangerous going by the statistics.

This just happened and everyone loved it

IMG-20160717-WA0033.0.jpg

War MMA
I cringe every time I see this.

It was a beautiful flying knee, though.

I hope it does.
Don't really understand how you Neanderthal's watch this crap.
It's human cockfighting.

Back