New Findings About Head Trauma Will Change MMA To A More Catch Wrestling Type Sport

Not anytime soon. Studies have shown their is less head trauma in MMA than in boxing. If you think about it that makes sense.

3,5 rounds instead of 10 or 12

Heavier gloves in boxing, which makes knockouts more scarce and leads to an accumulation of blows.

4 oz gloves in MMA meaning fights end faster and guys take less overall punishment.

As long as boxing doesn't face reform anytime soon than I think MMA will stay status quo.

look how many times ovreem has been ko'd and same with bisping. those guys are fine.

on the other hand george st. pierre was not fine

Bisping has only been KOd twice. He's not anywhere near Overeem on 37.

So you're saying that NFL will be banned and boxing too?
NFL is damn near banned now. Anytime you see a big hit even one that is clean you sit and wait for the flag. They have pussified the sport. Soon it will look like high school 7 on 7.

look how many times ovreem has been ko'd and same with bisping. those guys are fine.

on the other hand george st. pierre was not fine
Lol Bisping has all of 2 losses by strikes in his career. Yeah Reem will probably be a vegetable by 50.

NFL is damn near banned now. Anytime you see a big hit even one that is clean you sit and wait for the flag. They have pussified the sport. Soon it will look like high school 7 on 7.

Does the padding not make it worse as guys are able to throw themselves like human battering rams at each other? Kind of like how boxing gloves make boxing more dangerous.

oh i was sort counting TKO's too

also hendo's ko are worth like 5 normal ko's

True. That KO took years off his life. Even TKOs it's only 2. Knocked out once by Hendo and TKOd by Vitor. That's it I think. Seems like he has been KOd more but he hasn't.

And the shit thread of the day award goes to.....

Does the padding not make it worse as guys are able to throw themselves like human battering rams at each other? Kind of like how boxing gloves make boxing more dangerous.
In my opinion yes it does. A lot of people feel the same way about helmets. People use them as weapons which leads to more concussions and spine injuries.

Which is why a lot of teams like the Seattle Seahawks have gone to rugby style tackling, taking your head out of the play. Concussions and spine injuries are unbelievably lower in a sport like rugby with not even close to the amount of "protective" equipment that football has.

I could see a standard 10 count being implemented where if an opponent is not physically taken down and is brought down by strikes he/she is given a 10 count with a 3 knockdown rule per round

ground strikes are to be banned

Nah. If anything, it'd simply scare a lot of people off from entering the sport. I doubt it would end the sport itself.

I could see a standard 10 count being implemented where if an opponent is not physically taken down and is brought down by strikes he/she is given a 10 count with a 3 knockdown rule per round

ground strikes are to be banned
That is a terrible idea. Standing 8 counts and 10 counts lead to more head trauma, not less. Instituting anything close would be counter productive for MMA.

Not anytime soon. Studies have shown their is less head trauma in MMA than in boxing. If you think about it that makes sense.

3,5 rounds instead of 10 or 12

Heavier gloves in boxing, which makes knockouts more scarce and leads to an accumulation of blows.

4 oz gloves in MMA meaning fights end faster and guys take less overall punishment.

As long as boxing doesn't face reform anytime soon than I think MMA will stay status quo.

I disagree here. The heavier padding in Boxing gloves is not to protect the opponents head from absorbing the power of a blow to the skull. It is to protect the fighters hands from breaking and making for a boring ass fight. Watch bare knuckle contests and you will see broken hands constantly. You are right about the 10-12 rounds, but again that is what the padding is for, to allow the boxer to continue throwing meaningful punches for 36 minutes if necessary.

I disagree here. The heavier padding in Boxing gloves is not to protect the opponents head from absorbing the power of a blow to the skull. It is to protect the fighters hands from breaking and making for a boring ass fight. Watch bare knuckle contests and you will see broken hands constantly. You are right about the 10-12 rounds, but again that is what the padding is for, to allow the boxer to continue throwing meaningful punches for 36 minutes if necessary.
Yes it is to protect hands and knuckles, but it leads to you being able to take more head shots over more rounds. All that I meant by that.

"The futureof fighting is going to favor the fighters most adept atsubmitting their opponents i.e. favor technical wrestle"

WRONG

The future of fighting is robots and human cyborgs fighting for the last vestiges of hope and humanity.

May God help us all.

That is a terrible idea. Standing 8 counts and 10 counts lead to more head trauma, not less. Instituting anything close would be counter productive for MMA.

Not saying it's going to happen or that it's a good idea just saying that if it came down to a decision to either implement an outright ban of mma or a complete change of the unification of rules that's how I see it playing it out.

Not saying it's going to happen or that it's a good idea just saying that if it came down to a decision to either implement an outright ban of mma or a complete change of the unification of rules that's how I see it playing it out.
Not if anyone with a say has a voice of reason. I don't even think that bullshit belongs in boxing. Not with what we have learned about brain injuries.

Boxing has seen the death of numerous boxers at the highest stage during its history and it hasn't been banned, so why in the world would MMA, a sport where there have been few deaths and none of them in a big org mind you, start banning strikes?

Back