Never Fat + Carbs?

Btwestyo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On some berardi article i remember reading, he says that you should eat protein + fat or protein + carbs but never carbs and fat together? Supposively your insulin will just store it as fat? Does this mean that you shouldn't eat like whole wheat pasta + olive oil? Should you basically not combine any type of fat with any type of carb? Or is it okay to eat like a balance of saturated and unsaturated fats along with starchy carbs? Thanks.

yeah, I heard berardi say that, but didn't he also say not to get too carried away with this?

I think whole wheat pasta is better with the olive oil, esp since OO is a monosaturated fat.

so monounsaturated fats are okay to eat with carbs? did he say specifically that saturated fats + carbs wasn't optimal? After I read no fats + carbs I basically restructured my diet so I ate them in seperate meals. Is this unnecessary? An example of my fat + carb meals were:

whole wheat pasta + lean protein + Olive Oil + some veggies + fruit and almond butter
Ezekiel Bread + Lean protein + some kind of cheese + avocado
A shake consisting of Muscle Milk + oatmeal + flaxseed

is this okay to stack fats like olive oil, almond butter, fish oil, with whole wheat breads and pastas?

If an individual is really out of shape, this kind of thinking is incredibly dangerous due to ease of overanalysis and stress. Correctly portioned balanced meals are key.

If an individual is in pretty good shape, they should know by this point that intensity in training, with common sense in the kitchen, is key for achieving goals in the long term.

Making sure you are getting a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, cheeses, meats, and spices etc is a much better way to live your life.

With the right portions, your fat+carb meals shown above are perfectly fine.

Well its not really a black and white issue. Theres a lot more to this...meaning what individually how you "handle carbs". So genetics will play a factor here as well.

If you don't handle carbs well then you probably should aim for separating carbs and fats at all times.

Carbohydrate ****bolism seems to get more and more complicated the more I learn about it. How to eat carbs, how much of them to eat, what type of carbs to eat, when to eat them, what to eat them with or even whether to eat them at all...so many hugely contradictory opinions around. I don't know what to believe anymore, other than I personally avoid carbs from "staple" foods (wheat, rice, potatoes, maize etc.) because I seem to feel better when I get them from vegetables instead.

That is the crux of the nutritional field!
If it was all A + B = C, then it would have been figured out long ago and most people would be healthier.

One person can eat crappy sugar cakes all day long and not gain an ounce of weight while another person looks at the darn thing and puts on a pound.

Tis also one of the things I find so fascinating.

Cheers

Bry

That is the crux of the nutritional field!
If it was all A + B = C, then it would have been figured out long ago and most people would be healthier.

One person can eat crappy sugar cakes all day long and not gain an ounce of weight while another person looks at the darn thing and puts on a pound.

Tis also one of the things I find so fascinating.

Cheers

Bry

That is irrelevant to total body health, though. Eating sugar cakes all day and not getting fat is one thing. That same person isn't going to be muscular without some protein, and isn't going to be completely healthy without some good fats and micro nutrients from vegetables.

If you're eating a meal other than fish oil caps, odds are it isn't healthy if it doesn't have protein, but has both fat and carbohydrates.

If an individual is really out of shape, this kind of thinking is incredibly dangerous due to ease of overanalysis and stress. Correctly portioned balanced meals are key.

If an individual is in pretty good shape, they should know by this point that intensity in training, with common sense in the kitchen, is key for achieving goals in the long term.

Making sure you are getting a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, cheeses, meats, and spices etc is a much better way to live your life.

With the right portions, your fat+carb meals shown above are perfectly fine.

WELL PUT, SIR.

Seriously, your common sense replies are good man.

This is from his Massive Eating article (for people bulking). Maybe he said it elsewhere, too. Anyways, he says that with P+C meals to not have more than 5g of fat. For P+F meals not to have more than 10g of carbs. As for olive oil with WW pasta, that is fine. Just use a quick spray of extra virgin olive oil (PAM makes an OO spray - that's what I use). This will only add a gram or two of fat so you're still within Berardi's recommendations. I purchased his Gourmet Nutrition cookbook as well and OO spray seems to be a staple in many of his recipes. Though remember, when cooking if you want OO to remain healthy, have it no higher than medium heat. If you're going past medium heat, use coconut oil.

I think it comes down to the amount and quality of carbohydrates one is taking in. Combining C+F has never really been an issue I've concerned myself with, mostly due to Paleo style eating---it's already fairly low carb and high fat. I just keep my PWO shake C+P, and the rest of my meals are high fat, moderate protein, and low carb---every meal.

IMO, adding fat to a meal containing carbs is advantageous, as it lowers the overall GI.

I think it comes down to the amount and quality of carbohydrates one is taking in. Combining C+F has never really been an issue I've concerned myself with, mostly due to Paleo style eating---it's already fairly low carb and high fat. I just keep my PWO shake C+P, and the rest of my meals are high fat, moderate protein, and low carb---every meal.

IMO, adding fat to a meal containing carbs is advantageous, as it lowers the overall GI.

Can you give some examples (or links to plans) of meals like that? I am having trouble thinking of things high in healthy fats without a lot of protein and carbs.

Fair enough, but I'm not going to be eating nuts for more than one meal/day. I guess my question is more am I missing something? With P+C or P+F it is pretty easy to just pair a serving of meat with carbs or fats, but I'm not seeing how to get a full diet where most meals have more fats than protein except using A LOT of oils.

Damn your one word answers. I need a full meal plan laid out for me. What I am supposed to do, research?

Ass.

Can you give some examples (or links to plans) of meals like that? I am having trouble thinking of things high in healthy fats without a lot of protein and carbs.

I believe he is talking about whole meals.

Meat + veggies = high fat, high protein, low carb

A couple of examples. I have no idea on the macros.

1 ripe avocado
1 can of tuna
handful o' spinach
dash o' lime juice
drizzle o' olive oil
couple of pinches of sliced almonds
Handful of cashews while I'm preparing.

1 steak
1 grapefruit
Couple o' slices of cheese (yeah yeah it's not Paleo, I know.)
Side of greek salad (tomatoes/cucumbers/black olives/feta cheese) in olive oil
square of dark chocolate

4 eggs, poached in coconut oil
side of guacamole
half a dozen strawberries
dozen or so red grapes
handful of macadamia nuts

I go through a TON of nuts, eggs, and avocados weekly.

Thanks, Mike. I should work on incorporating avocado into my diet.

Back