Never Fat + Carbs?

Fish oil, flax seed meal, nuts, organic peanut butter, avocados, fatty fish, whole eggs. That's what I use for fat.

So mike whats your opinion on my P + F + C meals? Should i just do P + F and P+C or do you think its okay to combine them?

So mike whats your opinion on my P + F + C meals? Should i just do P + F and P+C or do you think its okay to combine them?

It is pretty standard procedure for anyone that isn't a hard-gainer to only have carbs peri-workout, unless they are from veggies and some fruits.

At the risk of sounding like a cop-out answer, nutrition is very individualized depending on your genetics (read:carb tolerance) and your goals. I pretty much summed up what I think about combining macros. Other than PWO, I personally don't see the point, but it's been a staple of Berardi's theories for a long time, and well accepted.

And you don't worry about the grass-fed phenomenon?

Optimally, I'd like to purchase grass fed beef. I've looked around my area, and being in the heart of Canadian ranch lands, you'd be surprised at how rare it is. Organic, sure, but it's still grain fed. There's always a few ranchers at the farmer's market's, so maybe I'll actually find a good local contact this summer.

Regular beef doesn't offer up an optimal O3:O6 ratio like grass fed, so a guy just has to be more diligent in getting O3s from other sources.

Optimally, I'd like to purchase grass fed beef. I've looked around my area, and being in the heart of Canadian ranch lands, you'd be surprised at how rare it is. Organic, sure, but it's still grain fed. There's always a few ranchers at the farmer's market's, so maybe I'll actually find a good local contact this summer.

Regular beef doesn't offer up an optimal O3:O6 ratio like grass fed, so a guy just has to be more diligent in getting O3s from other sources.

That eatwild site pisses me off. I work in a very rural area and there isn't anything on their map anywhere near me!

That eatwild site pisses me off. I work in a very rural area and there isn't anything on their map anywhere near me!

I hear you. I don't think they update it at all. I may have to look at changing that in the FAQ.

Hey Mike, what does your PWO shake usually consist of if it's P + C? I'd imagine it's whey and some type of fruit? I have some glucose polymers ordered and I'm hoping the mixture of whey+them is good. Any experience with these? Anthony Colpo swears by them in his e-book The Fat Loss Bible.

Coconut oil is an awesome way to get extra fat.
We cook all our eggs in the oil.
I also love cooking chicken in it. Gives the chicken a beautiful flavor.
Sometimes I will add olive oil to my steak after I pull it off the grill. Just brush lightly when you first pull it off. It absorbs nicely into the meat and gives it a little more juice.

One of the things I love most about the Paleo style of eating is that it isn't complicated. I don't worry about counting macros or calories because most of my meals are just solid nutrition. It is hard to go wrong with meat and veggies. It makes meal planning easy, preparation easy, and shopping easy. We spend very little time in the store now. A trip for the plastic and papers, then frozen fruit, meat, and finish up on the veggie aisle.

But alas I am rambling. As others have posted, as long as you are eating healthy I wouldn't worry to much about the fat + carbs thing.

Bry

Hey Mike, what does your PWO shake usually consist of if it's P + C? I'd imagine it's whey and some type of fruit?

It generally looks like this:
  • 1-1.5 scoops whey isolate (~30-45g protein)
  • 1 Banana
  • Handful of frozen mixed berries
  • Serving of Greens+
  • 500ml Skim milk. I've recently switched back and forth between skim and homogenized. I've honestly seen very little difference, and am sticking with skim from now on for consistency.
  • 5g creatine monohydrate
  • 5g beta alanine
  • 15g BCAAs. Once this container is done, I won't bother buying it again. I haven't seen the point in personally using BCAAs, and I never train fasted.
  • 10mL apple cider vinegar
  • 40g of WMS, depending on the length and type of workout. If it's been a longer duration metcon, then I'll add a scoop of WMS.
Mathias said:
I have some glucose polymers ordered and I'm hoping the mixture of whey+them is good. Any experience with these?

WMS, as above. I'm assuming that's what you've ordered.

Cool, that sounds like an intense shake. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Quoted from a intelligent nutritionist I admire.

"I agree with pretty much everything I've read from Berardi except for the no F+C thing. Insulin response as a result of the combination of F+C depends on the degree of saturation of the fatty acids in question. Other wise, unsat FAs tend to lower the insulin response of the coingested carbs, not to mention slow down the release of glucose into the blood via increasing the viscosity of the food bolus."

Back