Television Netflix - 3 Body Problem

I love their use of Radiohead's "Karma Police" in episode 4. Aside from being a great song, they intentionally timed some of the lyrics to whatever was happening on screen.

We saw Rooney arriving at his house.
"Karma police, arrest this man, he talks in maths"

And after the intruder did what she did.
"This is what you get
When you mess with us"

It’s like being told you’re at a concert to see Bruce Springsteen and instead you get a cover band. It’s ridiculous imo. I can’t help but be bothered by it. A good friend of mine who also read the books and watches the show also doesn’t seem to mind, I just don’t get it.

All the characters in the story advance the plot, but his personal journey being what it is set the stage for the whole perspective of the book. The way the reader arrives in the future is felt through Lou’s his family and his motives, it’s all him. The way the book ends, the “spell” he casts, it’s all about him. Leaving him out or unnecessarily reimagining him into a totally different person is infuriating
100% agree. The whole reason for his decision, his frame of mind -- everything is central to how it plays out. Now it will just be "because".

The AD looks great but having not read the books the ad gave me the vibes I got from the Dark Tower movie commercial.

It’s like being told you’re at a concert to see Bruce Springsteen and instead you get a cover band. It’s ridiculous imo. I can’t help but be bothered by it. A good friend of mine who also read the books and watches the show also doesn’t seem to mind, I just don’t get it.

All the characters in the story advance the plot, but his personal journey being what it is set the stage for the whole perspective of the book. The way the reader arrives in the future is felt through Lou’s his family and his motives, it’s all him. The way the book ends, the “spell” he casts, it’s all about him. Leaving him out or unnecessarily reimagining him into a totally different person is infuriating
Again, not an apt comparison, they’re two very different things. Bruce Springsteen is the show. He’s the narrative. You’re buying a ticket to see him.

Luo is a random physics guy who just so happened to have the idea of the Dark Forest. You’re not reading the book for Luo Ji, you’re reading the book to see how humanity deals with this problem.

Luo, in the books, started off with little ambition, little interest in anything (except his make believe family), had a vice (drinking) and didn’t want to be a wallfacer.

Saul, little ambition, never rising up to his potential, has a vice (smoking weed) and doesn’t want to be a Wallfacer.

They’re practically identical outside of the name.

Again, not an apt comparison, they’re two very different things. Bruce Springsteen is the show. He’s the narrative. You’re buying a ticket to see him.

Luo is a random physics guy who just so happened to have the idea of the Dark Forest. You’re not reading the book for Luo Ji, you’re reading the book to see how humanity deals with this problem.

Luo, in the books, started off with little ambition, little interest in anything (except his make believe family), had a vice (drinking) and didn’t want to be a wallfacer.

Saul, little ambition, never rising up to his potential, has a vice (smoking weed) and doesn’t want to be a Wallfacer.

They’re practically identical outside of the name.

It’s a perfectly appropriate comparison. Luo is the main character in the second book and a major character in the 3rd book. There is no reason to create someone who is “practically identical” - just write the proper character into the show. There is no reason to leave him out.

If a person reads a book they have every reason to think the main character from that book will be in the TV show. Leaving them out is like leaving the top billing out of a concert in exchange for a cover band.

Last edited:

No Bruce, no E street band.

Just D street band.

China seems to be pissed at this show.

Show already well under showing on Netflix.

It's an issue when doing a show based on a book series and everyone whose read knows Book 3 is where all the really cool stuff happens while books 1 an 2 are basically all table setting. You got to make those 2 seasons interesting and thought provoking. DnD just aren't really good at this

I just finished the show, thought it was OK. Too many times I had to not think logically, and the 2 most interesting characters are dead.

If this all powerful thing can control a bunch of cars to try to kill someone, why couldn't they just crash his plane?

I just finished the show, thought it was OK. Too many times I had to not think logically, and the 2 most interesting characters are dead.

If this all powerful thing can control a bunch of cars to try to kill someone, why couldn't they just crash his plane?
It sounds like they rushed the timeline in trying to kill Luo. In the books, it takes place in the future when things are all automated. A plane isn’t automated at that point in the story.

Why can't they stick to the fucking source? Netflix just has to put their woke bullshit into everything. Chinese people are pissed about it.

Show already well under showing on Netflix.

It's an issue when doing a show based on a book series and everyone whose read knows Book 3 is where all the really cool stuff happens while books 1 an 2 are basically all table setting. You got to make those 2 seasons interesting and thought provoking. DnD just aren't really good at this

Bro I just watched 30 episodes of book 1 table setting in mandarin and it was solid.

How bad did DnD fuck this up?

Finally got around to finishing up the season and really enjoyed it. I read the books, but it's been like 5~6 years, so a lot of the character details i had forgotten. A lot of the criticism that I have read was how they changed the characters, but since I had forgot a lot of the details it prevented me from making a bunch of comparisons while watching.

I mostly remembered the plot details of each book, and at first I was annoyed when they introduced things out of sequence, but after a few episodes I enjoyed it and didn't feel like I knew exactly what was going to happen next. I was surprised when they revealed the plot at the end of the second episode when it wasn't revealed in the first book until like the 75% into the book.

I remember reading the first book being frustrated because I knew from the synopsis that it was about an alien invasion, but it would flash back to the Chinese cultural revolution and scientist going crazy, and just thinking WTF does any of this have to do with an alien invasion. Then the ending fits together so perfectly, I wish I would have not known the synopsis going in and letting the story unfold rather than try to make the puzzle pieces fit.

Went into the second book with that mindset and it was bat faru favorite of the trilogy. The ending was so good and looking forward to seeing how they do it in the show since things are being revealed out of sequence.

Stopped after 3 episodes. The writing drove me nuts. The show keeps telling us these are some of the smartest people on earth but none of them know any words longer than 2 syllables. Guy with the glasses is smarter than einstein but talks like a teen.
I really wanted to like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back