Need Gi shopping help.

ClampXVII

Bravado Muay Thai Trainer
@Black
Reaction score
Whassup guys. I'm starting BJJ after years of MT, and the place where I'm training at does Gi and No-Gi training. 3 days out of the week we do Gi training and I need to find a Gi, but have neva worn one before. I'm 5'9" and 195 lbs. I have a thick body. I SAID THICK NOT FAT! JK :D Anyways I was just looking Gi buying tips. Any help would be appreciated.

Brands to Check out are Gameness & Atama. I know there are more, just can't think of them off the top of my head. You could try SSFgear.com, they have some nice Gameness gi's.

If you want a decent gi for a cheap price, check out the rednose website. There sold out alot though.

Atama has pretty good gis. I have a HCK gi that has been working out well for me.

In truth my trainer told me to buy one, but couldn't say what size since most differ in size, but I'm looking for one thats practical for right now. I'm only going to be doing JJ every other month.

can someone please post links please?

Oh yeah I'm looking on the web and is there a difference between judo and jj gis?

http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/single.htm
Like someone stated before, HCK makes a really good single weave gi for a good price. I wont post the rednose link cuz there out of stock.
Judo gis tend to be cut more roomy than jiujitsu gis. jiujitsu gis are a bit more form fitting with usually thicker collars and no cotton skirt for more durability while rolling.

I like Koral gi's alot. I'm thick as well and like that I can close the jacket on my Koral gi. The lapel stays flat and it just feels like it fits better. Other gi's don't close as nice, so the jacket easily opens when I roll.

Whoa! the HCK is pretty cheap.and fits my budget. thanks!

They look cool, but I perfer a plain one to roll in. I don't how I'll do at this school. This will be my first time EVER wearing a gi and kinda want to blend in with my peers. Oh yeah i really appreciate the links they helped alot I was a little lost looking for Gi's or "kimonos" See I did a little research :D

We have a review section on kimono and gi.
Gameness are bringing out a new single weave gi which will be probably the best out there.
Here's the link to the reviews section.... it might be wise to read what others have said before making a choice.

Kimono reviews

hope it helps

ClampXVII said:
Whoa! the HCK is pretty cheap.and fits my budget. thanks!

I have the Gameness gis and HCK gis in stock as well as Adidas and Mizuno.

The HCK is a great gi at a really low (under priced) price. Like Roy said Gameness has a new single weave gi out and it's the same cut as the Gameness gi but without any patches and it's around $85.

www.SSFgear.com

ClampXVII said:
Whassup guys. I'm starting BJJ after years of MT, and the place where I'm training at does Gi and No-Gi training. 3 days out of the week we do Gi training and I need to find a Gi, but have neva worn one before. I'm 5'9" and 195 lbs. I have a thick body. I SAID THICK NOT FAT! JK :D Anyways I was just looking Gi buying tips. Any help would be appreciated.

Please feel free to browse through our selection ...

http://www.riofightwear.com/index.php?cPath=48

Thanks

TEAM RFW

The HCK is nice. It has a really thick collar, and feels really durable. My gym sells these cheap Judo Gi's for $60 and they feel like a t-shirt compared to the HCK.

b0b said:
The HCK is nice. It has a really thick collar, and feels really durable. My gym sells these cheap Judo Gi's for $60 and they feel like a t-shirt compared to the HCK.

Wow, $60 for a cheapie judo gi. The HCK in white is only $70 ($50 for natural). Gameness has a new single weave for $85 and the Adidas Club JJ gi is only $55.

Other low price top quality gis Red Dog, Sirius, Atama (judo gi has been on sell for $50),

www.SSFgear.com

HCK has always been a recommendation of mine, simply because they were the ONLY gi provided for use in my gym, rofl. Everyone had HCK pretty much. the quality was very top notch.

~Foz

My advice is to not follow the size chart.
Im 6'2 210 lbs and i am supposidly an A4... Which i have one and it is GIANT on me it is wearable but there is way more material than i need.

I also have 2 A3's and they fit pretty good... After washing them in HOT water they came out to be a decent size but my Dragao is still too big.

This morning my friend left his Mkimonos A2 that has never been machine dried out on a chair. I forgot my gi top and had to wear that one. IT FIT PERFECT. when my arms were down it ran a little high to mid of my for arms but when i extended them it went all the way to the edge of my wrist which makes it still legal.

Honestly man if you never plan on machine drying it i suggest getting an A2.. We have another guy at our gym who is 6'2 195 and he wears an A2 to compete in as well. You could easily fit it as long as your not to stocky in the back... like i said i float around 210-215 and it fit me fine..

Its much tighter fitting and you can move easier, plus you stay cooler without all that material trapping heat toy our body.

Back