Neck exercise

The Gubbinz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering what a good weight is to do Lying Face Down Plate Neck Resistance
lyingfacedownneck2s.jpg

and Lying Face-Up Place Neck Resistance
lyingfaceupneck2s.jpg

I was doing neck bridges and reverse neck bridges too. Should I be doing these exercises?

Any advice when exercising the neck?

I am trying to get into Kickboxing right now.

The ones in the pics seem ok and all ... but if you really wanted to get the full benefit of doing those two neck exercises in the picture, it might be a lil' better to have someone else putting the resistance on you with either a towel across your head or a weight ... (since, in practicality, your limited by your own strength, esp. in that awkward position, if you are doing them by yourself) ....

I think, overall, you are going to get more of a good base for neck strength with neck bridges, including front neck bridges (on your forehead), side neck bridges (tilting to the side either from your forehead or back of head), and back neck bridges (on the back of your head). The great thing about these, is you can always have your two hands placed right above the ground in case you can't go on or if something happens so you can stop whenever necessary.

On these neck bridges, try to keep working to get your body as parallel to the ground as you can on each different neck bridge (rather than having your butt or pelvis wayyyy up in the air), even to the point of where your nose is touching the floor just barely (like on those front neck bridges).

Word of caution: Seriously, be very careful with neck bridges. Don't make any sudden movements when doing these: ease into position, esp. if your not on a mat and your on a hard surface like carpet. Be VERY careful on side neck bridges, as the muscles stabilizing your neck to the sides usually will not be as strong as those in the front and back. Also, just listen to your body. If you are getting weird cramps, sharp or dull pains while doing them or something, stop! (not talking about having sore neck muscles, but actual pain in the vertabrae/joint and what not). Wait a couple of days and see how your neck is doing ... time will tell. Like an idiot, the first week I over-did them and didn't listen to my body and had a bad neck cramp for the next 2 and half weeks ... and I consider myself fortunate.

Hope all goes well. Let us know how it goes. You'll have Matt Hughes neck syndrome in no time. :)

btw You might want to ask this in the grappling forum as well, as many of those dudes know a lot about neck bridging and stuff ...

Does that shit give you horrendous acne looks like it could..

Thank you very much!
I didn't think about the side ones. I think it may be a while before I have the flexibility to do a proper neck bridge. My core isn't that flexible. But I will get there!

bigdoggg said:
Does that shit give you horrendous acne looks like it could..

Are you talking about doing it with a weight on your head? I don't know ... I've only done those ones in the pics but with someone putting resistance on my head with a towel across it, trying to pull my head down with the towel, rather than pressing a fricking metal plate up against my head. Personally, I would never do that with an actual weight on my head, though ... no making indentions in my head with iron plates for me ... hehe

The Gubbinz said:
Thank you very much!
I didn't think about the side ones. I think it may be a while before I have the flexibility to do a proper neck bridge. My core isn't that flexible. But I will get there!

No problem. Yeah, about the flexibility and strength, it'll come, just like anything else. Good luck! :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, make sure you EXHALE when doing these, just like doing any other exercise properly. Try not to hold your breath or something, cause you'll either burst a blood vessel in yer head AND/OR you'll get a hernia, both caused by the excessive strain from not breathing properly.

What does acne have to do with anything?

hughes said:
Exactly. Since when did iron cause spots?
putting it on your face? after sweat blood and feet have been all over it??

bigdoggg said:
putting it on your face? after sweat blood and feet have been all over it??

wrap it in a towel......

I actually do both of those exercises at the end of eace workout. Just put a folded towel on your forhead. It is more of a high rep exercises, I don't go heavy on these. I use a 45 lb plate and rep out. Usually 3 sets of each, 2 times per week. Good luck, and with the towel on your face, I wouldn't think it would give you acne, but i'm not entirely sure.

Not to sound like an ass Gubb, but I think you need to buy yourself a copy of Dinosaur Training. For where you are at, it would be perfect. You will not find a better book for under $20.

Jay M. said:
Not to sound like an ass Gubb, but I think you need to buy yourself a copy of Dinosaur Training. For where you are at, it would be perfect. You will not find a better book for under $20.
Why would you sound like an ass for saying that? Everyone should read "Dinasour Training". Some of it is basic, some is comical but there are definatly some good ideas and some sound training techniques listed in that book. Everyone should read that book atleast once, IMO.

YOu've got to read it man. It gives simple workouts and tips. Alot of training with Kegs and Sandbags and why that would help with sports. Just motivating, it makes you want to give it your all. Also some things I did not do before reading the book that helped tremendously at the time were, bottom positon exercises such as bottom postion squats and bench presses. That is an incredibly brief synopsis. Order it from www.ironmind.com . It's definately worth a read IMO.

When I do neck exercises by having resistance against my head, i feel a slight head[or rather, brain?] heaviness after that. is your brain resting on your spinal cord? if so, in awkward angles wont it be against your cranium?

Back