Nas: Life is Good

I think Life is Good has received more praise than it deserves.

#1 Illmatic
Quote:
"Wisdom be leakin' out my grapefruit troop
I dominate break loops, givin' mics menstrual cycles
Street's disciple/ I rock beats that's mega trifle
And groovy but smoother than moves by Villanova
You still a soldier/ Im like Sly Stone in Cobra"

#2a Stillmatic
Quote:
"This is my ending and my new beginning nostalgia
Alpha and Omega places, it's like a glitch in The Matrix
I seen it all, did it all, most of y'all will pop for a minute
Spit a sentence then the game'll get rid of y'all
Y'all got there but y'all didn't get it all
I want my style back
Hate to cease y'all plan it's the rap repo man"

#2b It Was Written
Quote:
"I peeped you frontin', I was in the Jeep
Sunk in the seat, tinted with heat, beats bumpin'
Across the street, you was wildin'
Talkin' 'bout how you ran the Island in '89
Layin' up, playin' the yard with crazy shine
I ****ed the baby 9, that ni___ grave be mine"

#4 N Word/ Untitled
Quote:
"I just burnt my ______ flag
And sent 3 cr____ Nazis to hell and I

This is a pretty good list, except The Lost Tapes is way too low. It Was Written or The Lost Tapes is a toss-up at #2 for me, with Stillmatic at 4. And anyone who doesn't have Nostradamus last doesn't know what they are talking about.

Im a big NaS fan
I like Lost Tapes a lot
But I like the first 5 I listed more.
I could probably move Lost tapes to #6 ahead of Gods Son.

Stillmatic was better then Illmatic.Yea I said it.

Come at me bro's!

Stillmatic was better then Illmatic.Yea I said it.

Come at me bro's!

Nah, would rather leave your worthless opinion alone.

Out of curiousity, don't you think NaS called his album "Stillmatic", as in, he is 'still' as 'ill' as he was when he came out with "Illmatic". Like he needed to validate that album by referencing an earlier classic. Shouldn't that alone prove to you that Illmatic will forever be better than Stillmatic, in addition to everyone else who will disagree with you? Then again, music taste is subjective, so uh,....do you, bro.

One the best Hip hop songs created, if not the best

I couldn't finish it. Had to stop after 30 minutes. I thought it was terrible tbh and I love illmatic. The guy doesn't have shit to talk about.

Not a fan of his, but Nas has some of the hardest lyrics ever.

Loved how he abused Jay Z. Still can't believe to this day that Hot 97 had Jay Z winning....

I like his song with Amy

Nas hasn't done anything great since Stillmatic, he'll always be my favorite rapper though.

You didn't like "Distant Relatives"?

I heard "Life is Good" was above average and never ended up listening to it. It is not bad. It is probably a Top 10 Hip Hop Album of 2012 along with "Control System", "1999", "RAP Music", and "Trophies".

Solid, if unspectacular album. The bonus tracks are better than some of the ones included on the album. I would say it isn't as good as Untitled, though I do like the head space Nas is in and lyrically he's on point (as usual).

Nas' three best albums are Illmatic, It Was Written and Stillmatic. The Lost Tapes is his fourth best and honestly, Street's Disciple never happened, nor did Nastradamus.

Wait ... Wut?

You didn't like "Distant Relatives"?

I heard "Life is Good" was above average and never ended up listening to it. It is not bad. It is probably a Top 10 Hip Hop Album of 2012 along with "Control System", "1999", "RAP Music", and "Trophies".

It's barely top ten. Cancer4Cure, R.A.P. Music, Vodka & Ayuasca, Trophies, Good Kid MAAD City, Skelethon, Habits & Contradictions and many others are better than Life is Good.

Solid, if unspectacular album. The bonus tracks are better than some of the ones included on the album. I would say it isn't as good as Untitled, though I do like the head space Nas is in and lyrically he's on point (as usual).

Nas' three best albums are Illmatic, It Was Written and Stillmatic. The Lost Tapes is his fourth best and honestly, Street's Disciple never happened, nor did Nastradamus.

Wait ... Wut?

Where would you put God Son.... son?

Where would you put God Son.... son?

1.) Illmatic (obviously)
2.) It Was Written
3.) Stillmatic
4.) the Lost Tapes
5.) Untitled
6.) Life is Good
7.) God's Son
8.) I Am ...
9.) Hip Hop is Dead
10.) Street's Disciple
11.) Nastradamus

It's barely top ten. Cancer4Cure, R.A.P. Music, Vodka & Ayuasca, Trophies, Good Kid MAAD City, Skelethon, Habits & Contradictions and many others are better than Life is Good.

Yeah most of those albums you mentioned are probably better but I haven't heard Aesop Rock's "Skelethon" yet. Really should though. I found "Vodka & Ayuasca" to be a little shallow but all the beats were good.

"4eva N A Day" by Krit and maybe even his album debut could be in Top 10. Looking back 2012 "Life is Good" is probably not in the Top 10.

I see a lot of hate going Nastradamus' way. I thought that album had some good tracks like "New World", "Some of Us Have Angels" and album title track was decent. Might not be a lot on that release but it still have some solid songs.

I think Hip Hop is Dead, Street's Disciple, and I Am are worse. It is still better than other artist releases.

The title track to Nastradamus was decent? Are you smoking crack?

'Some of Us Have Angels' is good. 'New World', sampling Toto is dog shit too.

4eva N a Day is better than KRIT's major label studio work, IMO.

I think the reason why Life is Good is getting such a polarized reaction here is because it is a bit of a different album from his earlier stuff.
I loved Life is Good because Nas' lyrics were showed a growth from Nas that he was developing as a rapper as he gets older.
Daughters was a pretty powerful song, talking about his daughter growing up starting to like the type of boys that Nas use to be and him trying to deal with it.

Yeah most of those albums you mentioned are probably better but I haven't heard Aesop Rock's "Skelethon" yet. .

ZZZ Top was my song of the year. Get on that shit!

And yeah this album was solid. Fuckin love Nas,, seeing him live at Ultra a few years ago was incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Really didn't like Cancer4Cure, or Skelethon, but thats just me. (And I like Aesop and EL-P, but I think maybe I kinda out grew them, not saying that they are immature or anything, just that I am not fond of the ultra abstractish stuff anymore).

Life is good, Food and Liquor 2, Good Kid Maad City are my top 3 of 2012.

Back