Name that throw

It is a variation of Tani Otoshi some people may disagree with this but I've discussed this ad nauseaum with a bunch of old school Judo guys and this was the agreed upon throw.

any youtube instruction for it? i like it alot

its tani otoshi (be carefull not to pop your partners knee if you do it this way), sukui nage you would throw him over your back.

^ it's definitley sukui nage man. He grips under the guys leg. You don't do tani like that.....

now that i think about it im not sure and gonno shut up, but you can do a traditional tani with that grip on the leg too.

I'm telling you guys it's a Tani otoshi variation. This was discussed heavily between a bunch of high ranking Judo experts. Dave and Dan Camarillo do all their Tani Otoshi's identically to this way. One expert on a JudoForum thread about the video clip said about the move on this clip:

"Tani Otoshi - a variation. This is how you do it. Tori/Uke right-handed normal grip. Tori grabs the left wrist of Uke which is holding the right sleeve of Tori, and pull towards Tori a bit downward for Kuzushi of Uke in the left-front direction. Uke is forced to step forward with his left foot. Tori advances his right foot a bit behind Uke`s left foot with the left knee well bent (but the back UPRIGHT). Tori pulls the left sleeve of Uke and holds it tight attached to the know of own belt and insert the right hand from behind to hold the left leg of Uke. In this position, Tori once lifts Uke up and throw backward in a manner of self-sacrifice. Done!! "

I know that many may think it's Sukui but I wish I could find the link of this discussion... There was a very detailed explanation as to why it wasn't. There was also someone doing this throw in a high level comp. and the judges called it Tani Otoshi... Lemme try and find the thread.

I HATE to argue with ChinaMan, I usually agree with everything he says.

ude gaeshi...you sure youv been thrown with it?

i am pretty sure unless there is a very similar throw like it... i thought the guy was going for an arm drag and then goes in to this flying barrel roll thing, i was like WTF, how did i get put on the deck, it was wacky... i had never seen anything like it before... my camera man was slack and hadn't even started filming yet, so i didn't get it on film... i finished him with a triangle, so i won the match and that's all that matters.

ah no-gi? wrestlers do a similar throw forget what they call it.

i remember asking someone what it was and they said it was a wrestling move... it was gi, but the guy was a essentially a no-gi grappler

I'm gonna renig my statement and say I dunno anymore. In this convo it was divided between Tani and Sukui. I was at a clear toss up until I found out that the Camarillos do Tani Otoshi this way. That sold it for me. But... The argument is happening here too. I've seen this done in tourneys and seen it called Sukui Nage. I've also seen it done and called Tani Otoshi.

I'm thoroughly confused...

So I sent the clip to a bunch of Judo 3rd dans and up to see what they think. I'll bring back a link or posts.

OK, i know the Tani / Sukui is up for debate, i watched the video to check how up to par my judo knowlege is, and this is what i came up with, anyone want to check it:

ippon seoi nage
osoto gari
Tomoe Nage
Kata Guruma
Tai Otoshi
Forward Roll
Shrimping (Hip Escapes)
Reverse Shrimping
Diving Forward Rolls
Ude Gaeshi
Tani Otoshi
Tani Otoshi