Myth of Body Types and MA that Fits

MuMuGuy

White Belt
Reaction score
I'll assume that I don't need to define the 3 different body types here (you Mesomorphs are lucky bastards :icon_chee ). I'm an Endomorph and my 295lbs is proof of that. I've read places that people should study Martial Arts that suit their body types, so what styles would suit an Endomorph who's interested in a style that frequently participates in competition. I believe that any style which is "too dangerous" for competition is bullshit because if an MA was "too dangerous", then every wannabe badass would study it.

In case my question was lost in my rant, "What Martial Arts are good for Endomorphic people?" Thanks

I'm out of shape

If your big and also flexible, like my room-mate, BJJ is a great option. The lead instructor at our gym is a Renzo Gracie Blackbelt and he's a good 350-400 lbs.

I was 240 pounds (5'9" ) when I started BJJ and was until I achieved Blue ... little over 2 years later I am 165lbs( 5'8" lost fat from top of my head and bottom of my feet )

So I don't think size has anything to do with it

Judo. Your size will help you against other white belts but once you go up the ranks technique and speed comes more into play than size or strength.

Also, stop hiding behind terms like endomorph and just admit youre out of shape.

how tall are you? Generally, i feel that height and limb length is more important than weight in terms of performing well at a given martial arts. This is not to say, however, that a specific body type can't do well at a certain martial arts, but rather who has the easier gameplan when competing. If you're short and squat and heavy, then I'd say wrestling or judo would be good for you since you'd have a lower center of balance and could have fast/powerful takedowns and throws. However if you're pretty tall and have long limbs than you'd be good at BJJ or a striking art. But once again, these are only generalizations I've observed and no way limit your growth in a martial arts.

Thanks for the responses, they'll help me understand my body type in relation to the martial arts.

Also, stop hiding behind terms like endomorph and just admit youre out of shape.

How was I hiding behind any terms? I would think that me stating my weight was an admission that I'm out of shape since 295lbs isn't healthy for anyone (even pro athletes) :rolleyes:. I don't know how often the -morph types are bandied on this forum, but the body types are a fact.

Just train what you want, this isn't rocket science. People of any shape can compete in any MA without question, it's your style thats going to be dependent on your body type not what discipline "you" can take part in.

Yes but its well documented that people of all shapes and sizes have changed their physique through exercise and proper nutrition, your body type is not really relevant if you are willing to put in the hard work to get in shape.

Anyway, I would suggest you spend a month losing a bit of weight and getting your cardio/conditioning up. I think the martial arts are hard enough to learn as it is, being out of shape is only going to slow your progress. We occassionally get out of shape people coming to Judo and they only take part in 10-15 minutes of a 2 hour session because they gas almost instantly. Waste of their time and money, they paid mat fees and were barely on the mats.

Try out all different kinds of martial arts if you have the luxury of choice. Judo seems to be where the big guys go as I stated earlier, but you may enjoy striking so I would recommend Muay Thai or Boxing.

If you want to compete and a tough workout, go for the Combat/Ring Sports - if its legit, you'll train hard and there will be a good competitive atmosphere that will drive you to get better. Stay away from the McDojo Traditional bullshit places where you spend more time bowing and hearing the instructors voice than actually training.

Yes but its well documented that people of all shapes and sizes have changed their physique through exercise and proper nutrition, your body type is not really relevant if you are willing to put in the hard work to get in shape.

Anyway, I would suggest you spend a month losing a bit of weight and getting your cardio/conditioning up. I think the martial arts are hard enough to learn as it is, being out of shape is only going to slow your progress. We occassionally get out of shape people coming to Judo and they only take part in 10-15 minutes of a 2 hour session because they gas almost instantly. Waste of their time and money, they paid mat fees and were barely on the mats.

Try out all different kinds of martial arts if you have the luxury of choice. Judo seems to be where the big guys go as I stated earlier, but you may enjoy striking so I would recommend Muay Thai or Boxing.

If you want to compete and a tough workout, go for the Combat/Ring Sports - if its legit, you'll train hard and there will be a good competitive atmosphere that will drive you to get better. Stay away from the McDojo Traditional bullshit places where you spend more time bowing and hearing the instructors voice than actually training.

OK, thanks for all that info. You definitely have a point about "hanging in there" as far as classes go. I know I tried a BJJ place that opened up near my university right before I graduated and I was exhausted about half an hour into the class. I've loved MAs since I was a kid but never got to really study since I was constantly moving due to having both parents in the military. Thankfully, I'm not so hard up that I'll go to someplace with obvious red flags such as lardass black belts and stuff.

I apologize if I got defensive or was being a jackass in my 2nd post.

I think your best option is to take whatever martial art you're going to enjoy, and then learn what aspects of that martial art work for your body type.
for example, I'm tall and lanky, and it gives me great roundhouse kicks, and jabs in the standup, and easier body triangles, and triangle chokes when I'm on the ground.

or better still, learn what's hard for your build and practice that:)

Just train what you want, this isn't rocket science. People of any shape can compete in any MA without question, it's your style thats going to be dependent on your body type not what discipline "you" can take part in.

+1

i'm naturally an endomorph(formerly 5'6", 260lbs). started in thai boxing, and train my ass off to walk at 170-180(somehow a bit over 5'7"ish now.)

only thing is, when i take too much time off and lax a bit too much on the diet, the pounds pack on FAST. took two months off due to injury/vacation, found myself a little over 190.

6'4" and 160lbs

Muay Thai?

I would just box with a build like that, assuming you have proportionately long arms...if you developed a good jab you would be a tough guy to face.

Thats just my opinion though, I spar (muay thai) with a guy with a similar build and i just wail on his bird legs with kicks all day...i suppose some kickboxers have learned to use their height to their advantage, such as semmy schilt, but im not so sure height is that great of an advantage in muay thai.

whichever u like..just keep on it and dont give up..not only will u get better at it but your bound to get in better shape

Back