Media Mystic Ben Askren

I remeber when he explain how we didn't need to stand up because he would just not get hit . I couldn't understand for the life of me how he can justify being one dimensional .
If you have a granite chin it seems that you can get far being one dimensional or at least it worked for Askren for the majority of his career. Not getting hit and not training striking meant his chin was not damaged at all going into his fights.

If you have a granite chin it seems that you can get far being one dimensional or at least it worked for Askren for the majority of his career. Not getting hit and not training striking meant his chin was not damaged at all going into his fights.
And he got put out three times in three fights. I wouldn't say that was a terribly good strategy

And he got put out three times in three fights. I wouldn't say that was a terribly good strategy
It worked until it didn't. Got pretty far. Not bad could have been better but more successful career than 95% of fighters nonetheless. The only real KO was Lawler and that was a flash KO. The Masvidal knee would have put anybody out and Maia subbed Ben not knocked him out.

It worked until it didn't. Got pretty far. Not bad could have been better but more successful career than 95% of fighters nonetheless.
Okay. But again - it didn't work in the end.

And the thing is, he is a great wrestler. But you can't be just a wrestler and expect to find success in the UFC. His insistence that he never train striking or anything other than wrestling left him with bad hips and 3 concussions. Regardless of anything else, that's not success.

Okay. But again - it didn't work in the end.

And the thing is, he is a great wrestler. But you can't be just a wrestler and expect to find success in the UFC. His insistence that he never train striking or anything other than wrestling left him with bad hips and 3 concussions. Regardless of anything else, that's not success.
If Askren's career wasn't a success then 95% of fighters careers have also been trash. Ben made millions and retired 19-2 and won 2 championships in 2 different orgs. How is that not successful?

If Askren's career wasn't a success then 95% of fighters careers have also been trash. Ben made millions and retired 19-2 and won 2 championships in 2 different orgs. How is that not successful?
His first (and only) top 10 win was Lawler, and that was a pretty controversial fight. Beating up bums when you're an Olympian isn't a great look, especially when you're talking shit about the org where the real top fighters are. He could have made a lot of money doing a lot of things - and he likely will now that he's retired.

I don't value belts, I value top wins. Plenty of fighters have more than Askren - literally hundreds. And most of them aren't going to be memes for years due to awful striking and 5 second KO losses

His first (and only) top 10 win was Lawler, and that was a pretty controversial fight. Beating up bums when you're an Olympian isn't a great look, especially when you're talking shit about the org where the real top fighters are. He could have made a lot of money doing a lot of things - and he likely will now that he's retired.

I don't value belts, I value top wins. Plenty of fighters have more than Askren - literally hundreds. And most of them aren't going to be memes for years due to awful striking and 5 second KO losses
It's not Askren's fault he didn't get in the UFC earlier. He could only fight who was available to him and he made a lot of money doing so. He begged to get in the UFC and it was always a dream of his to fight in the UFC. He's always wanted to test himself against the best. I don't hold his can crushing against him because that's all that was there.

It's not Askren's fault he didn't get in the UFC earlier. He could only fight who was available to him and he made a lot of money doing so. He begged to get in the UFC and it was always a dream of his to fight in the UFC. He's always wanted to test himself against the best. I don't hold his can crushing against him because that's all that was there.
He could have signed with them before, but demanded more money than he was worth. So instead of fighting in the UFC or staying in Bellator, where a decent division was developing, he went to ONE where there was exactly nobody worthy of being in the top 100.

Not sure that really shows how he wanted to "fight the best" considering he avoided the organizations where the best were fighting

He could have signed with them before, but demanded more money than he was worth. So instead of fighting in the UFC or staying in Bellator, where a decent division was developing, he went to ONE where there was exactly nobody worthy of being in the top 100.

Not sure that really shows how he wanted to "fight the best" considering he avoided the organizations where the best were fighting
No he didn't. He said he would take a paycut to get in the UFC. He asked Bellator for his release so he could sign with the UFC. The UFC told him they weren't even going to negotiate at all. I don't know where you're getting this bullshit info from.

No he didn't. He said he would take a paycut to get in the UFC. He asked Bellator for his release so he could sign with the UFC. The UFC told him they weren't even going to negotiate at all. I don't know where you're getting this bullshit info from.
Lol okay buddy. I'm not going to spend my day arguing with an Askren fan. He's trash, he's retired, hellh be remembered for his highlight reel losses, and you need to get over it

GargantuanUncomfortableHousefly-size_restricted.gif

Lol okay buddy. I'm not going to spend my day arguing with an Askren fan. He's trash, he's retired, hellh be remembered for his highlight reel losses, and you need to get over it

GargantuanUncomfortableHousefly-size_restricted.gif
I'm fine. It seems to be you caught up in hate. I'm happy Askren has brought you entertainment and you should be grateful for it. He's had an entertaining career. He's still my boy and I'm a fan of Jorge too btw. I don't mind fans expressing their opinions it's all fun just don't come in with bullshit info.

Last edited:
Reading a few posts this is a funny thread genuinely lol but fuck me... Can't believe how many people missed how much of a fun guy Ben was, a great fighter and MASSIVELY set up in his UFC run...

Madness... Almost to the point of embarrassment

Problem for Ben is that if you look like that as a pro athlete, you MUST win. If you dont, it looks very bad.

Back