My thoughts on my first six months of training Bjj

I haven't puked in 4 weeks so things are getting better at least from a fitness level. As far as lifting goes...I would love to put a few hours on squats/bench/deadlift, but I find that I really don't have the time. I've got my work, 2 kids I have to run around town to all their activities, and even though I train almost every night, I choose to goto jiu jitsu 99% of the time vs the gym. The are one block away from each other.

I might try to do some weight training and then go to class, but I don't know if my body can take it.

Apparently someone failed to read past the first bullet point. He specifically said that he quit smoking in month 2.

im sorry mister big bad green belt. but i was just reinforcing the fact that it is good that the TS quit smoking.

im sorry mister big bad green belt. but i was just reinforcing the fact that it is good that the TS quit smoking.

Telling him to "quit smoking" when he already did it over 4 months ago is reinforcing that it's a good idea? :icon_lol:

You might try "it's good that you quit smoking" or something to that effect. Saying what you actually mean helps around here.

whether he quit 4 months ago or 4 years ago it was a brilliant idea that he quit especially venturing into a physically demanding activity such as brazilian jiu jitsu.

Nice one dude! Keep doing what your doing and you'll continue to see more progress.

If I may ask were you a bigger guy? I know people tend to puke off the bat but it sounds like you were throwing up more then the average person

Wow! That's awesome. You've already come a long, long way. From not being able to finish a warm up to competing in a tournament!

That's great stuff. Keep it up.

whether he quit 4 months ago or 4 years ago it was a brilliant idea that he quit especially venturing into a physically demanding activity such as brazilian jiu jitsu.

Thanks for informing me that it's best not to smoke while training. In my 3 years of training, I never heard that one. :rolleyes:

Any other nuggets of wisdom you'd care to share with us?

If I may ask were you a bigger guy? I know people tend to puke off the bat but it sounds like you were throwing up more then the average person

Yes...I was 5'11" 285 35% bodyfat about 18 months ago.

I'm thinking of taking up bjj along side judo, not sure about it though any one else do judo too and got any advice?

Hell yah, nice write up and great to see you hang in there and eventually fall in love with BJJ.

Quitting smoking was huge eh?

We used to have Sakuraba come by sometimes and this guy would straight up take "smoke breaks" when we would all go for a water break.. Insane. But he says he's been wrestling since a kid and smoking before that :icon_chee hahahahahaha

Yes...I was 5'11" 285 35% bodyfat about 18 months ago.

Especially when you were a smoker and not used to being so active, it's understandable. Imagine that at that size, you've probably cleaned up your diet a bit as well. I find that I have to eat pretty clean, my body just doesn't perform well if I'm eating the kind of garbage that I used to before I started training.

Especially when you were a smoker and not used to being so active, it's understandable. Imagine that at that size, you've probably cleaned up your diet a bit as well. I find that I have to eat pretty clean, my body just doesn't perform well if I'm eating the kind of garbage that I used to before I started training.

Yes...I cleaned up the diet and weight trained for about 12 months prior to starting bjj.

Thats a bullshit segway right there, thats NOT what you meant at all!

Hell yah, nice write up and great to see you hang in there and eventually fall in love with BJJ.

Quitting smoking was huge eh?

We used to have Sakuraba come by sometimes and this guy would straight up take "smoke breaks" when we would all go for a water break.. Insane. But he says he's been wrestling since a kid and smoking before that :icon_chee hahahahahaha

How many gracies would he have beaten if he hit the gum?

Also on the topic of smoking, im 23, smoked for the first year of BJJ and my fitness is maybe 2-5% better, max.(Well measurable in performance, im sure my lungs are in fact thanking me) Even smoking a pack a day and like 50 bongs I could still do a kickboxing then BJJ class most nights.

Not advocating or anything just saying personally, i havent really noticed a difference since quitting.

What would you say your body fat % is now?

fluctuating between 18 and 20% depending on how I eat. If I lifted more it would really drop. Squats and dead lifts make me burn bodyfat like crazy. The lowest it's been was 16.4 but that was before doing jiu jitsu and on a very low carb diet. Weight was 210 at that time. I find that I cant do the low carb diet and jiu jitsu as I just dont have the energy to get through class.

I've been working on getting my diet straight, but it is much easier said than done. I'd love to compete at super heavyweight or even heavy weight to avoid the giants, but I have a hard time getting to that weight and having sufficient energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back