My thoughts on my first six months of training Bjj

RhinoUP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Month 1. torture. Maybe made it through 2 minutes of warmups before having to stop. This got better over the course of the monts but I never finished a warmup. Threw up several times during warm ups. I always tried to do the techniques when rolling/live drilling. I'm bigger than most guys in my school so they all took turns turning me into a pretzel. Threw up at least every other class and would need frequent breaks when rolling.

Month 2. Quit smoking cigarettes. Warm ups were better but still really tough. Was still throwing up but not so often. Still got smashed when rolling but would pull of the odd sweep from time to time and was lasting a little longer without needing a break.

Month 3. Warmups suck but I can finish. Learning more and more techniques and I find myself thinking about Jiu Jitsu constantly. I mean constantly. I can't stop talking about it. Eventually convince 2 of my very close friends to join my school. Tapped out a couple of smaller guys a couple times when rolling but still getting smashed and feeling helpless in most positions. I sense I'm getting the hang of some of the basics.

Month 4. More of the same, but I'm finding I'm trying to go for more technique attempts and taking some risks. Failing miserably at pulling them off, but I'm trying ands learning a lot from the mistakes I'm making. Starting to realize that timing is extremely important. Learning to breathe while rolling. Practicing breathing and thinking about Jiu Jitsu during most of the day. Attempting more submissions/sweeps and learning the importance of breaking grips. Relaxing more when rolling. Not holding my breath as much. Got a stripe from Sinistro. Felt I didn't deserve it but my training partners all believed I did so I trust them. Felt good. Btw warmups still fucking blow.

Month 5. Competed in my first tournament. Was up 9 zip when the ref stood us up with me mounted out of bounds. Experienced adrenaline dump and now know the true meaning of exhausted. My body stopped responding and I lost my match by one point. Was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again. The guys I train with took gold, gold, and bronze so I feel pretty damn good about the quality of instruction I'm getting. After competing I feel a new level of love for the sport. I'm rolling hard, taking much fewer breaks, only throwing up once in a while and warm ups still suck but not as much as they used to.

Month 6. I sense improvement. I'm still getting tossed but the higher belts I roll with now are having a tougher time tapping me. I feel strong in the side mount position and I was told tonight by a purple belt that my shoulder pressure from side mount is nasty. Very happy about that. Learning the basics and using open mat nights to help the two friends catch up on the techniques they don't know. They are becoming fantastic training partners. I kind of have an idea of what I should be going for in most positions /grip breaking/breaking posture...etc. im also getting very close with my training parthers and we are becoming a team. Its awesome. And war ups....piece of cake...NOT!!

All in all this has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. Also. FYI. I'm 40, 230 pounds was a fat bastard my whole life and started weight training about 18 months ago and got myself down to 19% body fat before joing my school. Haven't touched a weight since starting jits.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but to those discouraged noobs....stick with it. It gets better and better. Even though the beatings don't ever stop, you'll take pleasure in the small improvements you see over time.

Thanks for reading..I welcome your comments and advice.

I agree! Keep lifting if you can find time a couple days a week! Your body will thank you with less injuries!

Good job! My advice: do not get injured or overtrain. If you are 40, you can not afford being away from the mats for a long period. Be consistent, train hard but avoid injuries at all cost. Warmups Alliance style...torture but so good for you.

I had to quit smoking before starting bjj. over a year smoke free!

I hear you guys regarding lifting. I'm trying to figure out a way to have 2 days of Squats/Dead lift/Bench Press in my schedule. Job/kids and my wanting to train as often as possible have been getting in the way.

I can totally relate to much of your journey. Breathing was and still is the hardest part for me. Keep up the great work, perhaps our paths will cross on the masters circuit!

I can totally relate to much of your journey. Breathing was and still is the hardest part for me. Keep up the great work, perhaps our paths will cross on the masters circuit!

Maybe so. I heard there is a Long Island Pride in February and I'll absolutely be competing in the IBJJF NY Open on April 4th. Don't hurt me:)

You are a puker for sure

If you'd like to keep from puking try not eating for a couple hours before class. To the others who mentioned lifting in addition to BJJ for injury prevention.
I'm no expert but I stopped getting injured it seemed when I stopped lifting. Lifting made my muscles very tight and thus they seemed less tolerant of being flexed by someone else. So I got a lot of pulled muscle type little injuries a lot.

You are a puker for sure

If you'd like to keep from puking try not eating for a couple hours before class. To the others who mentioned lifting in addition to BJJ for injury prevention.
I'm no expert but I stopped getting injured it seemed when I stopped lifting. Lifting made my muscles very tight and thus they seemed less tolerant of being flexed by someone else. So I got a lot of pulled muscle type little injuries a lot.

That's been my experience, too. Even adding a fairly light lifting session result in strains after a couple of weeks. Most of the BJJ guys I train with that are lifters seem to only train BJJ 2-3x per week and then lift on their off days. I'm old and train 6 BJJ/judo six days a week. Thusfar I haven't been able to figure out how to adequately recover from adding S&C to BJJ/judo and figure that since my priority is to get good at BJJ that at 39 I'm better off improving technique than dropping technique to try to add muscle.

Great account! I'm 40 as well and am three months in now. Things are starting to make more sense to me, even if I can't execute mUch when rolling. I love it and think and read about it all day long. Can't wait for the day when my skill matches my enthusiasm. Maybe my 60th bday? Ha. Like you, haven't been able to fit lifting into my schedule anymore, but have been doing some Ginastica Natural stuff at home and before class, which I enjoy. Thanks for posting.

I'm 35. Sunday will be 5 months. The last couple weeks I've taken to writing a blog from Couch Potato to Jiu Jistu CouchJitsu

It's a mix between how our school does things, what I'm learning at different stages etc. I wanted to keep track of my progress and also let other oldfolks who want to get started know what to expect.

Thanks for the kind words bros. I enjoyed your blog taylonr.

Great post! I can remember when all of that happened to me.. have yet to compete in my first tourney yet though.. so that's still on my list of to do's...

also the puking.. I'm glad to say that I'm not a puker! Hope you carried a bunch of breath mints and gum with you!

I hear you guys regarding lifting. I'm trying to figure out a way to have 2 days of Squats/Dead lift/Bench Press in my schedule. Job/kids and my wanting to train as often as possible have been getting in the way.

I lift in a way you might want to try. Generally I only do two days a week, but mix in some stuff when I've got time and feel ambitious. Day one is squat, flat bench, and a kettle bell circuit finisher that's more cardio than strength. Day two is dead lift, shoulder press, and a barbell circuit finisher. Feel free to PM me if you want more details or whatever. Good luck training.

It's good to see I'm not the only one in the world who was struggling in their first few month, you couldn't tell any of the other white belts in my gym were new. Good read and keep training!

Back