My thoughts on my first six months of training Bjj

Rhino, I could have written the same story myself! Started about the same time and close to the same age, both quit smoking, both gassed out a lot, both progressing about the same way.

Good job and keep it up

Well...I'm pumped. Won a gold medal in my division Master/senior ultra heavyweight at Long Island Pride. I'm pumped and can't wait for the New York open in April.

Excellent job! Your story is very inspiring and your motivation is impressive. Nothing like that first gold medal to validate your hard work.

Thanks for sharing! My first 6 months were pretty much the same. I got into shape fairly quickly, but I had quit smoking a year before. However, I'm in my 30s and have a busy life, so my learning curve has been slower than many younger guys who join our school. What was (and is) important for me is to just keep showing up and working hard whenever I can. Sometimes it's 4 days a week, sometimes it's 4 days a month, but I just keep showing up. What a journey.

congrats! good luck. training really can transform a person, inside & out. isn't it awesome? lol

congrats! good luck. training really can transform a person, inside & out. isn't it awesome? lol

Yep...A little over a year ago, I had a 46 inch waist and was borderline diabetic. Doc scared the shit out of me.

Outstanding job man. Most people would have quit and you should be proud you stuck it out.

38 here. Started back Dec 2012 after 8 years off the mats. Trained for about 5 years prior to the time off.

My goodness things hurt a lot more at age 38. Been training two times per week the last two months in addition to running/lifting. Trying to build a good physical base before I ramp up my training in April/May. I am trying to prevent injuries at all costs. Not easy.

What a great inspiring read!

41 here and gonna be back to train today after 1 year of hiatus due to injury (barely 5 months into training). This kind of success story from being a middle-aged guy couch potato to being a competitor and a gold winner really inspires a lot of us "old men".

Thanks

Thanks guys...It's good to know that there are a whole lot of old dudes like me out there getting smashed by the youngsters:)

I'll trade old man strength for young man stamina any day of the week and twice on Sunday:)

Month 9 - My training partners and I are all training hard for the NY Open next month. One of the great things about my gym is the fact that we have several ultra heavyweights among us as well as a few heavyweights. I’m attempting to cut weight to enter the super heavyweight division 221 lbs. I’m currently about 12 pounds over. Training has been intense. Sinsistro and Zata Toscano have been really hammering us and pushing us through our limits. I feel I’m getting a better feel for when to use my energy and when not to. Being that I’m really trying to go for submissions/sweeps, I tend to end up in bad positions, and I’m getting very comfortable in the most uncomfortable of positions. I’ve still never pulled off an arm bar or triangle from closed guard while sparring, but I’m getting closer and closer each time I try. My passing has gotten a little better and I’m learning how to use the enormous cranium I was born with as a weapon. All in all it’s been a fun month. It’s great to be part of a team with the same goals. The two guys I brought into my gym are really improving and it’s really fun watching them progress. If it’s possible, I love Jiu Jitsu more than the day I started and I can’t wait for the NY Open. Any of you guys gonna be there?

You're training under Zata? He's a great kid, Fabio Clemente's son so he's been training nearly his entire life. It's humbling that someone is half your age but can have 100x your knowledge at something.

You're training under Zata? He's a great kid, Fabio Clemente's son so he's been training nearly his entire life. It's humbling that someone is half your age but can have 100x your knowledge at something.

Yeah...the kid has the goods.

Awesome job. Nice to see a progression in a positive direction!

Month 1. torture. Maybe made it through 2 minutes of warmups before having to stop. This got better over the course of the monts but I never finished a warmup. Threw up several times during warm ups. I always tried to do the techniques when rolling/live drilling. I'm bigger than most guys in my school so they all took turns turning me into a pretzel. Threw up at least every other class and would need frequent breaks when rolling.

Month 2. Quit smoking cigarettes. Warm ups were better but still really tough. Was still throwing up but not so often. Still got smashed when rolling but would pull of the odd sweep from time to time and was lasting a little longer without needing a break.

Month 3. Warmups suck but I can finish. Learning more and more techniques and I find myself thinking about Jiu Jitsu constantly. I mean constantly. I can't stop talking about it. Eventually convince 2 of my very close friends to join my school. Tapped out a couple of smaller guys a couple times when rolling but still getting smashed and feeling helpless in most positions. I sense I'm getting the hang of some of the basics.

Month 4. More of the same, but I'm finding I'm trying to go for more technique attempts and taking some risks. Failing miserably at pulling them off, but I'm trying ands learning a lot from the mistakes I'm making. Starting to realize that timing is extremely important. Learning to breathe while rolling. Practicing breathing and thinking about Jiu Jitsu during most of the day. Attempting more submissions/sweeps and learning the importance of breaking grips. Relaxing more when rolling. Not holding my breath as much. Got a stripe from Sinistro. Felt I didn't deserve it but my training partners all believed I did so I trust them. Felt good. Btw warmups still fucking blow.

Month 5. Competed in my first tournament. Was up 9 zip when the ref stood us up with me mounted out of bounds. Experienced adrenaline dump and now know the true meaning of exhausted. My body stopped responding and I lost my match by one point. Was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again. The guys I train with took gold, gold, and bronze so I feel pretty damn good about the quality of instruction I'm getting. After competing I feel a new level of love for the sport. I'm rolling hard, taking much fewer breaks, only throwing up once in a while and warm ups still suck but not as much as they used to.

Month 6. I sense improvement. I'm still getting tossed but the higher belts I roll with now are having a tougher time tapping me. I feel strong in the side mount position and I was told tonight by a purple belt that my shoulder pressure from side mount is nasty. Very happy about that. Learning the basics and using open mat nights to help the two friends catch up on the techniques they don't know. They are becoming fantastic training partners. I kind of have an idea of what I should be going for in most positions /grip breaking/breaking posture...etc. im also getting very close with my training parthers and we are becoming a team. Its awesome. And war ups....piece of cake...NOT!!

All in all this has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. Also. FYI. I'm 40, 230 pounds was a fat bastard my whole life and started weight training about 18 months ago and got myself down to 19% body fat before joing my school. Haven't touched a weight since starting jits.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but to those discouraged noobs....stick with it. It gets better and better. Even though the beatings don't ever stop, you'll take pleasure in the small improvements you see over time.

Thanks for reading..I welcome your comments and advice.

I think this is pretty accurate for most people. I had a similar progression when I started.

And tonight is one of those nights where I feel all the training catching up to me at once. I'm sore and bruised everywhere. 2 hours with about 8 5 minute rounds sparring. Man I need ice.

20 days till tournament and we are pushing through our limits. We've been doing no time limit sub only rolling lately and I've gone as long as 14 minutes before puking. It's been really tough on my old ass body, but I'm definitely getting more fit. I tried the other day to get my heart rate up on an exercise bike and no matter how hard I tried, I couldnt get it beating at more than 140 bpm.

Do you even lift?

just kidding. dont give up you sound liek you're doing great

It's great to hear from another "Senior". I have been rolling with so many youngsters since I got back into grappling that I was beginning to think I was the only one. I do love the look on someone's face when they are breathless after rolling and find out that I am 40. Priceless!

I understand your struggles at making life work. I'm 40, married with a 2.5 year old, and a Navy officer. There were so many things that can take time away from training that I put it off for 3.5 years before the opportunity put itself square in my way so that I couldn't not do it again. Now I train Judo 2x a week and BJJ 3x a week. I do weights on Mon and Tues and heavy bag work and circuits 2x a week, but I have to go to the gym as part of work. The body is slowly responding and I'm glad I hit the weights. I want to build up my strength base.

I look forward to reading more of your training progress since you are 5 months ahead of me.

Back