• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My opinion on Jon as a recovering alcoholic/addict

Probably needs a couple of months in jail to realize being locked up sucks and that he needs to quit doing what he is doing. After getting out I think he needs to probably move. Nothing but enablers in ABQ it appears.

I'd like to know WHAT he was shooting at. or was it just a random "hey i'll just fire a round at a tree at 1am for no particular reason". I mean he may eventually admit it (they have the shell-casing and they could match it to his semi-auto pistol they found under his seat) or he may continue to deny it with some "I do not recall" kinda defense.
I mean all he had to do was stay home. Get drunk at home -- sure that's easy and safe. Playing with guns in public when you've had 3/4 of a bottle of tequila (in all probability) is just asking for a whole heap of trouble and, of course, he could have killed someone.

My two cents is he got wasted and some people who get wasted let their inner frustrations/demons out and become completely different people.

Most people get happy, some get belligerent and crazy. Jon is likely carrying a lot of inner baggage.

As a fuck up sympathizing with another fuck up, do you think you wouldn't have ever been a fuck up had you not had fuck up sympathizers around you during that time?

Either way, if he does anything illegal - call the police, it's their shit to deal with. My only issue with him is the eye pokes. That's it. Otherwise, he's the GOAT MMA fighter.

Little about myself. I was a trainwreck for about 7 years. My drugs of choice throughout that time were alcohol, speed, and copious amounts of cannabis, although I'd use whatever I could get my hands on. Point is I was fucked up 24/7. I'll be five years clean in July.

The definition of addiction is continuing to use a substance or engage in an activity despite negative consequences in one's life. I think we can all agree that Jon fits that bill.

Ultimately, Jon's not going to stop getting fucked up until continuing to use becomes more painful for him than getting clean is. Everyone's rock bottom is different, and a lot of people hit there's only to simply become bottom feeders. Mine was a prolonged period of intense depression and suicidality. Who knows what Jon's is. Maybe this most recent arrest will be. Maybe the loss of his career will. Maybe losing his family will do it. He might go to prison, he might end up homeless (he'll blow through his money), and he might continue on despite these things. No amount of rehab will help, as I've seen people go to rehab 10-15 times only to lose their jobs, kids, health, housing, and sanity and keep going. Jon's problem is the fact that addiction is progressive, and we'll continue to see more of this until Jon gets clean for Jon. By clean, I mean completely abstinent from everything. I truly think Bones has crossed a line, and attempting to moderate his usage will only end in disaster. Pickles can't go back to being cucumbers.

I've always been a fan of Bones, and a lot of it comes from the fact that I sympathize with the man. I personally thought he had turned over a new leaf when he said in an interview some time ago that he wasn't using anything. Recently this statement change when Jon said he goes out and drinks socially like other people. I was concerned, and sure enough, he just proved that he doesn't. The fan in me wants to see him keep fighting. The person in me wants to see him get help. If this DWI is Jon's bottom, there's still time for him to do both. If he doesn't, his career will be over sooner rather than later. Jon's been a PR nightmare for Dana, and even he will say enough's enough at some point. Personally, I don't like it when people lose their jobs because of legal problems when they continue to be present and productive at work, but that's not the way the world works. Jon will end up absent and useless due to the nature of his legal problems, which is why I'd like to see Dana recognize that Jon will end up being a liability and give the man an ultimatum at this point. I don't think deep down that Jon's a bad person. On the other hand, I think his sickness turns him into a wretch at times. He's been protected, and subsequently needs to be told that this protection will be gone if he doesn't get better.

I also think that any of Jon's haters who take pleasure in any of this are disgusting human beings. Shaking your head is one thing. Licking your lips is another.

Frankly Jones has been a trash person for years. Even when Jones was sober he was a piece of shit so I dont really care for him. I dont want him to die or anything but I'd rather he die than kill someone.

Jon doesn't have friends because he is a fucken idiot and so is OP!

well it's good to see the judgment and high horses all survived the migration. SD is in fact whole!

Dana is a yes man when it comes to people like Conor, Rousey and Jones. It's fucked, he gives zero fucks about his fighters well being and was fine with Jones going to rehab for a full 24hrs... Anybody else gets in 1/10th of the trouble that Conor and Jones have and they get cut and Dana goes off on them like they are the reincarnation of Hitler.

"I'm a recovering addict... I used to smoke copious amounts of weed"

<DisgustingHHH>

<3>

I think with Jones there are a couple of things that separate him from most:

1) He's arguably the best fighter ever, and in elite shape. Twice over the limit + what sounds like weed, and could still walk that line without trouble. He's in such good shape drugs don't affect him the same way. He could go into a cage and win a big fight while high. Maybe even done it.

2) He's been in the spotlight in a brutal sport since he was very young. From best prospect to best champion. He doesn't care what anyone thinks about him, as he's still the unbeaten king of cage fighting. A God to many, maybe sees himself as such as well.

So both the admitting to himself and wanting change parts are harder to activate. Like Iron Mike said "I'm doing too good to be an addict".

Little about myself. I was a trainwreck for about 7 years. My drugs of choice throughout that time were alcohol, speed, and copious amounts of cannabis, although I'd use whatever I could get my hands on. Point is I was fucked up 24/7. I'll be five years clean in July.

The definition of addiction is continuing to use a substance or engage in an activity despite negative consequences in one's life. I think we can all agree that Jon fits that bill.

Ultimately, Jon's not going to stop getting fucked up until continuing to use becomes more painful for him than getting clean is. Everyone's rock bottom is different, and a lot of people hit there's only to simply become bottom feeders. Mine was a prolonged period of intense depression and suicidality. Who knows what Jon's is. Maybe this most recent arrest will be. Maybe the loss of his career will. Maybe losing his family will do it. He might go to prison, he might end up homeless (he'll blow through his money), and he might continue on despite these things. No amount of rehab will help, as I've seen people go to rehab 10-15 times only to lose their jobs, kids, health, housing, and sanity and keep going. Jon's problem is the fact that addiction is progressive, and we'll continue to see more of this until Jon gets clean for Jon. By clean, I mean completely abstinent from everything. I truly think Bones has crossed a line, and attempting to moderate his usage will only end in disaster. Pickles can't go back to being cucumbers.

I've always been a fan of Bones, and a lot of it comes from the fact that I sympathize with the man. I personally thought he had turned over a new leaf when he said in an interview some time ago that he wasn't using anything. Recently this statement change when Jon said he goes out and drinks socially like other people. I was concerned, and sure enough, he just proved that he doesn't. The fan in me wants to see him keep fighting. The person in me wants to see him get help. If this DWI is Jon's bottom, there's still time for him to do both. If he doesn't, his career will be over sooner rather than later. Jon's been a PR nightmare for Dana, and even he will say enough's enough at some point. Personally, I don't like it when people lose their jobs because of legal problems when they continue to be present and productive at work, but that's not the way the world works. Jon will end up absent and useless due to the nature of his legal problems, which is why I'd like to see Dana recognize that Jon will end up being a liability and give the man an ultimatum at this point. I don't think deep down that Jon's a bad person. On the other hand, I think his sickness turns him into a wretch at times. He's been protected, and subsequently needs to be told that this protection will be gone if he doesn't get better.

I also think that any of Jon's haters who take pleasure in any of this are disgusting human beings. Shaking your head is one thing. Licking your lips is another.

We need to treat addiction as any other mental health issue, with one to one and group therapy DONE BY PROFESSIONALS. Jon has 0% chance of recovering unless he has a professional in good faith following him, barring a big will like you seemed to show.

Jon, if you are out looking for drugs in the wee hours of the night, stay off the main streets dumbass! No wonder the cops rolled right up on him, he is not a very good criminal whatsoever.

Don't use addiction to excuse scummy behaviour. Jon has shown no signs of addiction. Enjoying getting fucked up is not addiction. He just seems to be a cunt.

Good post but:
I'd like to see Dana recognize that Jon will end up being a liability and give the man an ultimatum at this point.
I've rarely seen someone stay sober via ultimatum. It might be useful in scaring someone into getting sober for x amount of time, but staying sober after that initial gift of desperation fades really requires a genuine internal motivation/willingness

I'd like to know WHAT he was shooting at. or was it just a random "hey i'll just fire a round at a tree at 1am for no particular reason". I mean he may eventually admit it (they have the shell-casing and they could match it to his semi-auto pistol they found under his seat) or he may continue to deny it with some "I do not recall" kinda defense.
I mean all he had to do was stay home. Get drunk at home -- sure that's easy and safe. Playing with guns in public when you've had 3/4 of a bottle of tequila (in all probability) is just asking for a whole heap of trouble and, of course, he could have killed someone.
It's a really strange incident, not like his others. All his other incidents can be explained to a certain degree: partying with friends and runs into a telephone pole, fleeing the scene of an accident so he wouldn't get caught with drugs, drag racing, messing around with a waitress at a strip club with his friends. But this time, he's drunk, parked in his car by himself, and for whatever reason takes his gun and fires it out the window and then just stays there until the cops show up. When he gets arrested, he starts crying. Sounds like a cry for help to me.

It's a really strange incident, not like his others. All his other incidents can be explained to a certain degree: partying with friends and runs into a telephone pole, fleeing the scene of an accident so he wouldn't get caught with drugs, drag racing, messing around with a waitress at a strip club with his friends. But this time, he's drunk, parked in his car by himself, and for whatever reason takes his gun and fires it out the window and then just stays there until the cops show up. When he gets arrested, he starts crying. Sounds like a cry for help to me.
Yeah I don't quite know what to make of it. It's all quite odd. I mean the DWI ok, yes, I see that.
But taking a loaded handgun and shooting it thru your window? Did someone stop him in his car? Maybe he was there waiting for a ....aaah...delivery and someone came up to the window who wasn't the guy he was expecting and so he decided to scare the crap out of them and maybe accidentally fired the gun? It would be interesting to see on his cellphone which i'm sure he had with him who he had been texting and/or calling in the previous hour. Because i'm damn sure he was texting or calling someone and THAT info should tell the cops most of what they need to know.

Feel u bro. Im fighting hodgkins disease and still have a smoke here and there. Cigs are the hardest nastiest vice to drop. Stopped the licor and the coke about 7 yrs ago. Weed is good for me as long as its edible. Now im hooked on pain meds the docs give me. They are bassically my dealers now lol. Jones dosent need to hit rock bottom he has to want to get out on his own acord, cuz his fam and career clearly aint affecting him. The man is delusional thinking he can control the drugs. That never works out.

Jon can afford advanced rehab treatment and best psychotherapist.

But he needs to really commit, at least for 6 months, otherwise it could end in disaster one day.

He could kill someone in an incident like this and or injure himself, so he would be put of fighting.

I don't think deep down that Jon's a bad person.
I'm glad that you're sober but this is where we differ in opinion. I think he's a bad person AND addicted. The addiction makes it worse but it didn't make him go bad. He was always a dick.

Jones needs a time off, a rehab, a time with his family.

I don't think he can handle his mma career and family life with this kind of situation.

We need to treat addiction as any other mental health issue, with one to one and group therapy DONE BY PROFESSIONALS. Jon has 0% chance of recovering unless he has a professional in good faith following him, barring a big will like you seemed to show.
Aren't you in lockdown right now?

Back