• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My opinion on Jon as a recovering alcoholic/addict

Sometimes I wonder if he didnt decide to get married and have kids, would he be getting into all this trouble? He wouldn't have to hide away from his home to indulge in the shit he chooses to indulge in

As someone in recovery myself, and someone who works in substance abuse treatment this is a disease and should be treated as such. We use even when we don’t want to and it puts a spotlight on our character defects while dimming our positive qualities. Jon is a high functioning addict/alcoholic, he needs treatment and AA not a jail cell. I destroyed my life as a result of this disease and wound up in jail, it wasn’t until I went to treatment and AA that I was able to separate myself from the substances and address the underlying issues that led to me picking up in the first place. It doesn’t make him or any of us a “bad” person, he’s just sick and needs help.

if anyone on here is struggling reach out,
https://90210recovery.com/

Sometimes I wonder if he didnt decide to get married and have kids, would he be getting into all this trouble? He wouldn't have to hide away from his home to indulge in the shit he chooses to indulge in
Yes. Jon is a world class moron. He'd fuck up any situation handed to him on a silver platter.

much hespect to OP for being honest. As for Jon where I am so torn is that he is by far one of the smartest guys in the sport not just his cerebral fighting style but his quick wit and you can tell he is someone if he was not a fighter or an addict could basically do anything he wanted and excel because he is just a very smart person.

What im confused about is not the fucking up but its the obvious betrayal to his fanbase and the sport itself when he tells the worst lies that are so transparently outright lies and excuses it makes me wonder if he really is as smart as I think he is.

In other words you would have to be dumb as fuck to think that telling the public you pissed hot because of dick pills or brushing off breaking the law as horseplay and think that we would buy that.

I just think he has some terrible yes men around him and no one has the balls to give him ultimatums and hold him absolutely accountable for his actions. He needs to spend three months with ddp i guess idk.

No amount of rehab will help, as I've seen people go to rehab 10-15 times only to lose their jobs, kids, health, housing, and sanity and keep going. Jon's problem is the fact that addiction is progressive, and we'll continue to see more of this until Jon gets clean for Jon. By clean, I mean completely abstinent from everything. I truly think Bones has crossed a line, and attempting to moderate his usage will only end in disaster. Pickles can't go back to being cucumbers.
First I want to congratulate you on conquering and sharing your back demons. I've been there too.

Second I believe if you want rehab to work then it will. The issue, imo, is that 95% of people go to rehab involuntarily or are forced to choose rehab out of a list of worst options. Sobriety and change needs to start with a conscious choice made by that person independent of outside influences.

Also I used more during the "moderation" phase. Between the use I allowed myself to take mixed in with the times I slipped up and went on a bender I ended using using way more then when I allowed myself to use freely. Moderation is us telling ourselves a lie that we can control something that's been kicking our asses from pretty much the beginning.

It's a running joke and we're the punchline. You just got to let it go. All of it. Too many years I wasted trying not to smoke weed by drinking just to by high and drunk by the end of the night.

Anyway. Have a good day and good luck to you.

I can't stand Bones but I take no pleasure in all this shit and I really hope he turns his life around. But I truly believe that it's the lack of serious consequences that he's received to date for his constant scumbaggery that leads him to continue to make these decisions. Hopefully for his family's sake he can straighten his life out.

As a current Alcoholic and daily Canabis user
I am outraged by his behavior. Get an Uber dummy! Why would he ever drive himself anywhere? You want to party party, but don’t put others in danger.

Why did you not label this post, "let me tell you a little about myself"?

He's a classic adrenaline junkie. Always looking for the next high. Life is boring to some of these trained killers

I think with Jones there are a couple of things that separate him from most:

1) He's arguably the best fighter ever, and in elite shape. Twice over the limit + what sounds like weed, and could still walk that line without trouble. He's in such good shape drugs don't affect him the same way. He could go into a cage and win a big fight while high. Maybe even done it.

2) He's been in the spotlight in a brutal sport since he was very young. From best prospect to best champion. He doesn't care what anyone thinks about him, as he's still the unbeaten king of cage fighting. A God to many, maybe sees himself as such as well.

So both the admitting to himself and wanting change parts are harder to activate. Like Iron Mike said "I'm doing too good to be an addict".
he couldnt even count backwards from 47 to 32

Little about myself. I was a trainwreck for about 7 years. My drugs of choice throughout that time were alcohol, speed, and copious amounts of cannabis, although I'd use whatever I could get my hands on. Point is I was fucked up 24/7. I'll be five years clean in July.

The definition of addiction is continuing to use a substance or engage in an activity despite negative consequences in one's life. I think we can all agree that Jon fits that bill.

Ultimately, Jon's not going to stop getting fucked up until continuing to use becomes more painful for him than getting clean is. Everyone's rock bottom is different, and a lot of people hit there's only to simply become bottom feeders. Mine was a prolonged period of intense depression and suicidality. Who knows what Jon's is. Maybe this most recent arrest will be. Maybe the loss of his career will. Maybe losing his family will do it. He might go to prison, he might end up homeless (he'll blow through his money), and he might continue on despite these things. No amount of rehab will help, as I've seen people go to rehab 10-15 times only to lose their jobs, kids, health, housing, and sanity and keep going. Jon's problem is the fact that addiction is progressive, and we'll continue to see more of this until Jon gets clean for Jon. By clean, I mean completely abstinent from everything. I truly think Bones has crossed a line, and attempting to moderate his usage will only end in disaster. Pickles can't go back to being cucumbers.

I've always been a fan of Bones, and a lot of it comes from the fact that I sympathize with the man. I personally thought he had turned over a new leaf when he said in an interview some time ago that he wasn't using anything. Recently this statement change when Jon said he goes out and drinks socially like other people. I was concerned, and sure enough, he just proved that he doesn't. The fan in me wants to see him keep fighting. The person in me wants to see him get help. If this DWI is Jon's bottom, there's still time for him to do both. If he doesn't, his career will be over sooner rather than later. Jon's been a PR nightmare for Dana, and even he will say enough's enough at some point. Personally, I don't like it when people lose their jobs because of legal problems when they continue to be present and productive at work, but that's not the way the world works. Jon will end up absent and useless due to the nature of his legal problems, which is why I'd like to see Dana recognize that Jon will end up being a liability and give the man an ultimatum at this point. I don't think deep down that Jon's a bad person. On the other hand, I think his sickness turns him into a wretch at times. He's been protected, and subsequently needs to be told that this protection will be gone if he doesn't get better.

I also think that any of Jon's haters who take pleasure in any of this are disgusting human beings. Shaking your head is one thing. Licking your lips is another.

Eh, not really

Move to California, Colorado or Washington and the problem is mostly solved

He picked literally one of the worst states to live in for a guy with his choice of lifestyle

There's no excuse for his drunk driving, but he could easily find a friend in one of the above weed-legal states to drive him around, he could also get his drugs and booze delivered too him

Last edited:
I'd like to know WHAT he was shooting at. or was it just a random "hey i'll just fire a round at a tree at 1am for no particular reason". I mean he may eventually admit it (they have the shell-casing and they could match it to his semi-auto pistol they found under his seat) or he may continue to deny it with some "I do not recall" kinda defense.
I mean all he had to do was stay home. Get drunk at home -- sure that's easy and safe. Playing with guns in public when you've had 3/4 of a bottle of tequila (in all probability) is just asking for a whole heap of trouble and, of course, he could have killed someone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

Celebratory gunfire (also called aerial firing or happy fire) is the shooting of a firearm into the air in celebration. It is culturally accepted in parts of the Balkans, parts of Russia, the Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and parts of the United States, even when illegal.

It sounds like World War 3 during NYE and 4th of July in my area.

Not gonna sympathise with a millionaire for fucking himself over.

You've got issues of your own if his bank account is a variable in your opinion of him.

Eh, not really

Move to California, Colorado or Washington and the problem is mostly solved

He picked literally one of the worst states (Arizona) to live in for a guy with his choice of lifestyle

There's no excuse for his drunk driving, but he could easily find a friend in one of the above weed-legal states to drive him around, he could also get his drugs and booze delivered too him
isnt it New Mexico?

No alcoholic will brand you one, that is your job.

Unless Jon admits to himself that he is powerless over alcohol and/or drugs and that his life has become unmanageable, he will continue to get into trouble.

Some people have to lose it all to find acceptance and ask for help. I hope it doesn't come to that for him.

I speak as a recovering alcoholic and substance user with 15 months sobriety under my belt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

Celebratory gunfire (also called aerial firing or happy fire) is the shooting of a firearm into the air in celebration. It is culturally accepted in parts of the Balkans, parts of Russia, the Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and parts of the United States, even when illegal.

It sounds like World War 3 during NYE and 4th of July in my area.
so it's completely legal and fine to do so in New Mexico? I would guess maybe not if he's intoxicated. I'm not familiar with legalities of stuff like that in USA.

Back