• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My first day in a boxing class from AKB/TaeKwonDo

well, you just started boxing. It takes time to get power with some strikes compared to others even after being shown the proper technique. I didnt just start throwing great front kicks from day one and I'm sure that applies to hooks aswell. Also, just because a strike doesnt feel strong, you really don't know how effective it will be till you use it in sparring. With the right angle and placement a horizontal hook could work for you and would give your sparring partner different looks.

No, I did not start boxing just now. My TKD instructor taught boxing against mitts, not kata techniques, as most TKD instructors do these days. If I haven't gotten comfortable with it against hard targets in the past 3 years, I doubt the next 3 will be any better. All I need is to lower my elbow to a vertical one and I can blast away.

No, I did not start boxing just now. My TKD instructor taught boxing against mitts, not kata techniques, as most TKD instructors do these days. If I haven't gotten comfortable with it against hard targets in the past 3 years, I doubt the next 3 will be any better. All I need is to lower my elbow to a vertical one and I can blast away.
if you say so. did your tkd instuctor box in the amateurs?

if you say so. did your tkd instuctor box in the amateurs?

I am sure one of his friends did boxing. The guy has trained martial arts since 1965. He picked it up somewhere. He does not want "kata" punches thrown.

I am sure one of his friends did boxing. The guy has trained martial arts since 1965. He picked it up somewhere. He does not want "kata" punches thrown.
well , I'm just asking if he trained at a legit boxing gym. Unless most tkd sensei's have done that I dont know how they would be qualified to teach boxing.

well , I'm just asking if he trained at a legit boxing gym. Unless most tkd sensei's have done that I dont know how they would be qualified to teach boxing.

Maybe you should open the TKD encyklopedia. The boxing techniques are in there, just not the same stances.

Maybe you should open the TKD encyklopedia. The boxing techniques are in there, just not the same stances.
if the stance isnt the same then the technique is not the same. I've seen ITF competition, it doesnt resemble boxing.

if the stance isnt the same then the technique is not the same. I've seen ITF competition, it doesnt resemble boxing.

The arm punch is the angled the same, just like in Kickboxing. The difference is that it's thrown from a different stance. Hooks are prohibited in ITF sparring, and the resulting punching is a mess due to a 2 punch limit and contact restriction.

Also, in the TKD encyklopedia there is no reference to a preferred stance. Only the arm technique is illustrated.

Also, in the TKD encyklopedia there is no reference to a preferred stance. Only the arm technique is illustrated.
so how can you say the technique is the same in boxing when the mechanics of the punches are dictated by the legs as much as anything.

so how can you say the technique is the same in boxing when the mechanics of the punches are dictated by the legs as much as anything.

Because boxers don't always throw them from the textbook stances in matches, yet you surely still call them hooks/crosses/uppercuts based on the arm configuration and the trajectory path they took.

Because boxers don't always throw them from the textbook stances in matches, yet you surely still call them hooks/crosses/uppercuts based on the arm configuration and the trajectory path they took.
lets compare a tkd kick to a muay thai kick. they both have roundhouses and front kicks. However there is alot more to the mechanics than the general trajectory of the kick. The same applies with boxing and tkd punches.

lets compare a tkd kick to a muay thai kick. they both have roundhouses and front kicks. However there is alot more to the mechanics than the general trajectory of the kick. The same applies with boxing and tkd punches.

Muay Thai and TKD kicks are different based on the difference in trajectory path and chambering, not the stances from which they are thrown from. You could have a TKD dude stand in a Muay Thai stance and still throw a TKD roundhouse kick and vice versa. It's how the leg travels in space once you lift it and which configurations it takes (for instance chambering) that determines whethers it's a thai kick or a TKD one. The trajectory path of the horizontal hook punch (for instance) is the same regardless of if it's a TKD, Kickboxer or Boxer throwing it. What the stance changes with regards to punching is how much force is being generated.

Last edited:
I can stand upright feet next to each other in a neutral stance, or in a karate stance, or in a boxing stance and still throw the exact same TKD roundhouse kick. That doesn't mean of course that I am equally comfortable performing it from each stance, but I can still do it, and it's still just as much a TKD roundhouse kick because I will chamber it the same and kick in the same semi circle path.

The hook punch in tkd has the exact same arm configuration and travel path as the horizontal hook in boxing. But from which stance you want to throw it is up to you.

Lol, this is like saying that takedowns are part of BJJ. Yea, it's technically true, but your average high school wrestler still has better takedowns than 90% of BJJ guys.

I am interested. Can you go to a TDD competition and knock down someone with hands? Are going to get disqualified or you legitly win? I am sorry my knowledge in the rule set is poor.

The hook punch in tkd has the exact same arm configuration and travel path as the horizontal hook in boxing. But from which stance you want to throw it is up to you.

It's still lacking the part that makes the hook (and other punches) actually effective.

It's still lacking the part that makes the hook (and other punches) actually effective.

Nope. The body follows through the motion just like in boxing. In patterns it does not, but instructors don't want literal applications of the kata. What a TKDoin lack is practical application, tactics, angles, and of course the allowance to throw the punch in sparring.

Last edited:
Lol, this is like saying that takedowns are part of BJJ. Yea, it's technically true, but your average high school wrestler still has better takedowns than 90% of BJJ guys.

So when a boxer throws a hook or any other boxing punch from an unorthodox stance, he is no longer throwing the hook punch?

Last edited:
Back