My first day in a boxing class from AKB/TaeKwonDo

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Conditioning Pretty much the same as TKD Kickboxing. You catch a good sweat but nothing I couldn't handle

Stances Compared to KB/TKD the knees are much more bent to generate maximum amount of force, and the stance is more narrow than in KB sparring.

Drills MUCH longer per session. I'm talking at least 10 minutes before the instructor told us to break. Much better than in KB where you do too much things in too little time.

Footwork - missing in that particular class but was drilled the previous day that I missed.

In summary then: compared to TKD Kickboxing- the stances are lower and it does take some getting used to bending your knees so pronounced. Also a bit more narrow stances.

I would recommend taking Boxing over Kickboxing based on my experience. At least take it before you do Kickboxing.

Last edited:
Guys, which glove size should I buy as a beginner for multipurposes - 6,8 or 10 ounce?

10oz is fine for training, but typically not for sparring. Ask your coach first

My problem if I decide to join this boxing gym is being placed in a beginners group. I am coupled with people having poor eye-hand cordination. I have 3 years prior training. Is it worth the transition to be stuck there for some time? At least in the Taekwondo school I can go full out with my comrades in drills.

My problem if I decide to join this boxing gym is being placed in a beginners group. I am coupled with people having poor eye-hand cordination. I have 3 years prior training. Is it worth the transition to be stuck there for some time? At least in the Taekwondo school I can go full out with my comrades in drills.

If you're that much better than the beginners then it shouldn't be long before you get placed with a better group.

If you're that much better than the beginners then it shouldn't be long before you get placed with a better group.

Yeah they said so but I havent heard what their specific criteria for moving me up is. My partner can't block my jabs. It was a useless exercise. I could block his in my sleep.

Yeah they said so but I havent heard what their specific criteria for moving me up is. My partner can't block my jabs. It was a useless exercise. I could block his in my sleep.
are you going to ask for privates?

It's interesting how different boxing punches are from kickboxing. You can't really mix kicking in there with the way boxers throw punches. It makes sense that kickboxing schools teach more arm punching in comparison. I don't know why they are critiziced for it. You can switch between a boxing and kickboxing stance of course but it gets too messy in a fight, I guess

Do you guys know why the textbook boxing stance has the front foot at a 45 degree angle instead of just straight? Is it due to movement in a free sparring setting?

Are there guys who don't have their front foot 45 degree?

Extra power in lead hand punches, combined with the fact that you can't have your knee buckled by leg kicks.

Not everyone uses the turned in lead foot - Sinister, who is one of the #1 people I would go to for info regarding anything to do with boxing usually advocates a lead foot forward stance, pointing straight at the centerline of the opponent.

Extra power in lead hand punches, combined with the fact that you can't have your knee buckled by leg kicks.

Not everyone uses the turned in lead foot - Sinister, who is one of the #1 people I would go to for info regarding anything to do with boxing usually advocates a lead foot forward stance, pointing straight at the centerline of the opponent.

Oh cool. I Prefer straight lead foot or slight angle.. The 45 degree doesnt seem neccessary

I just ordered 16 0z, red Everlast gloves. Iron Mikes favorite brand.

It's interesting how different boxing punches are from kickboxing. You can't really mix kicking in there with the way boxers throw punches. It makes sense that kickboxing schools teach more arm punching in comparison. I don't know why they are critiziced for it. You can switch between a boxing and kickboxing stance of course but it gets too messy in a fight, I guess
Yeah in KB you can't load or pivot all the way because you can't kick from there if you piviot through. Most of the time hands are used as bs, so the idea is why compromise your main weapon.

There's also getting swept or being really off balance from leg kick if you pivot properly on lead hand strikes.

Get another pair of gloves for bag/padwork as well, its a disservice to your training partners to be hitting them with gloves getting deformed by the bag.

Yeah in KB you can't load or pivot all the way because you can't kick from there if you piviot through. Most of the time hands are used as bs, so the idea is why compromise your main weapon.

But an option is to switch stances depending on if you want to throw punching combos (real boxing) or kick and punching combos. Have people tried that in any famous fight? Why not?

Get another pair of gloves for bag/padwork as well, its a disservice to your training partners to be hitting them with gloves getting deformed by the bag.

Mike Tysons Everlast gloves won't last on a bag??

But an option is to switch stances depending on if you want to throw punching combos (real boxing) or kick and punching combos. Have people tried that in any famous fight? Why not?
You really shouldn't have only 1 stance, having a few is actually recommended. For me as a MT/KB I tend to stand quite forward heavy, thats my natural stance, but I do know how to fight traditional, so I use it also. Likewise you can do the same.

If anything, you can be more "boxing" once you ring cut them into the corner.

As for why not, well, its alot of material to cover really, and in everything fighting you want to be ingrained with material to the point you auto-pilot on it from muscle memory. If they aren't using stance switching its because it wasn't a priority, and wasn't drilled enough to become second nature. Stuff that are prioritized are what they cover in camp in terms of addressing their opponent's weak points. If their weak point happens to be boxing in the pocket, then it would be the focus. If not, then it won't.

Mike Tysons Everlast gloves won't last on a bag??
Its Everlast, probably the most garbage brand of gloves in today's age. It was good from 1920-1960, but not so much anymore. Conor lost due to wearing them.

When you hit gloves on the bag, the surface it is, it dents over time. I've had twins, Top Kings, and other assorted brands, they all wear out the same. All the deformation of the gloves ended up with mini cleats type buildup all over the surface.

Back