My diet, Critique it

A good diet, as far as I can tell (and if you're actually sticking to it). But let's be honest, working out 3 days a week will not get you great results, unless you're training like mad on those days. And running a mile (much less 1/2 of one) is worthless...cardio should be at least 30 minutes if it's steady pace type stuff.

A good diet, as far as I can tell (and if you're actually sticking to it). But let's be honest, working out 3 days a week will not get you great results, unless you're training like mad on those days. And running a mile (much less 1/2 of one) is worthless...cardio should be at least 30 minutes if it's steady pace type stuff.

I'm lifting heavy Mon Wed Friday, but yea I could probably work more cardio into it. Trying to bulk though.

wtf are you talking about? Lifting for 3 days a week is perfectly fine for results...

I agree with Chaseg that you can make progress on three days a week with a solid routine but in the first post you say you want to lose fat and in the next post you say you are trying to bulk. Which is it?

wtf are you talking about? Lifting for 3 days a week is perfectly fine for results...

If that's all you're doing? You'll have a hard time convincing me of that. I've never met someone who trained that infrequently who possessed any real level of fitness.

The 3 day split, as I understand it, is intended for people who are doing extensive sports-specific training throughout the week. If you're not already fit, you won't get much benefit out of doing so little training...your body's ability to recover, grow, and endure your workouts will not have been built up enough to give you much benefit.

This is from personal experience, so of course take it with a grain of salt, but I'm positive beyond a doubt.

That is a good diet. But because it is good, the need for the multivitamin (and certainly two of them) begins to disappear as you hit the RDA of all that stuff just by eating whole foods. You should make sure that you are not getting more than 2500iu of vitamin a palmitate/acetate from those pills. (beta-carotine is fine) Also you shouldn't be getting any iron from them, because you will already have a lot from your food. We are finding out as time goes on that palmitate and iron are bad for you in amounts previously thought acceptable.

If that's all you're doing? You'll have a hard time convincing me of that. I've never met someone who trained that infrequently who possessed any real level of fitness.

The 3 day split, as I understand it, is intended for people who are doing extensive sports-specific training throughout the week. If you're not already fit, you won't get much benefit out of doing so little training...your body's ability to recover, grow, and endure your workouts will not have been built up enough to give you much benefit.

This is from personal experience, so of course take it with a grain of salt, but I'm positive beyond a doubt.

Even if I wasn't doing sports specific stuff I doubt I could lift more than 3 days a week. Four would be the absolute max. With just lifting weights 3 days of squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench, rows put the hurting on my body.

If I was lifting four days a week I would follow the WS4SB template.

Even if I wasn't doing sports specific stuff I doubt I could lift more than 3 days a week. Four would be the absolute max. With just lifting weights 3 days of squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench, rows put the hurting on my body.

If I was lifting four days a week I would follow the WS4SB template.

I'm following the WSFSB routine and I'm only lifting three days a week.

The regular Westside program adds the fourth day.

Yeah 4 days of lifting a week I would say would be the MAX. If anyone thinks 3 days a week of lifting isn't enough then they need to seriously reconsider giving advice...

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. A 3-day lifting split not being enough!? This isn't a damn bodybuilding split. I would like to find any respectable strength lifter who says a 3-day split is inadequate.

That is a good diet. But because it is good, the need for the multivitamin (and certainly two of them) begins to disappear as you hit the RDA of all that stuff just by eating whole foods. You should make sure that you are not getting more than 2500iu of vitamin a palmitate/acetate from those pills. (beta-carotine is fine) Also you shouldn't be getting any iron from them, because you will already have a lot from your food. We are finding out as time goes on that palmitate and iron are bad for you in amounts previously thought acceptable.

didn't know about this, thanks for the info will look into this.

I agree with Chaseg that you can make progress on three days a week with a solid routine but in the first post you say you want to lose fat and in the next post you say you are trying to bulk. Which is it?

I am trying to bulk some more but I want to try and minimize the fat gains. I didn't eat as clean when I bulked previously so this is a big step forward.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. A 3-day lifting split not being enough!? This isn't a damn bodybuilding split. I would like to find any respectable strength lifter who says a 3-day split is inadequate.

agree, idk what that guy was saying earlier, but if you lift more than 3-4 days and you are really lifting, you are giving yourself no time for recovery.

Yeah... just forget that idiots advice and do what we have said so far and you will be good.

Fish oil instead of flax.

And 3 days a week is plenty.

Wow, lay off you guys. You'd think I stole your squat rack.

Let me clarify what I said. I agree that a 3 day split for lifting is fine to build muscle, IF you already have some kind of fitness base, and are doing something else the rest of the week. If a formerly sedentary person is doing a 3 day split as the totality of their exercise, I would barely consider them physically active. Their diet will be similar to that of a sedentary person.

And as to results, I tend to think along the lines of, "use it or lose it". Muscles need rest, but not a week of rest.

Wow, lay off you guys. You'd think I stole your squat rack.

Let me clarify what I said. I agree that a 3 day split for lifting is fine to build muscle, IF you already have some kind of fitness base, and are doing something else the rest of the week. If a formerly sedentary person is doing a 3 day split as the totality of their exercise, I would barely consider them physically active. Their diet will be similar to that of a sedentary person.

And as to results, I tend to think along the lines of, "use it or lose it". Muscles need rest, but not a week of rest.

It really all depends on your split and your body. You can have a very intense 3 day split of 5x5 that can require a rest day. Others can do that same workout and not need the day off.
The best thing to do is listen to your body. I have a 2 day Push/Pull split (intense), an assistance lift day (not as intense), and a circuit training day (muscle endurance). Beyond that, I do the heavy bag about 3 days a week, a Bas Rutten workout about 3 days a week, a lot of burpees, pullups, ab wheel rollouts, run, jump rope, etc.
The above seems like a lot, but I eat well and sleep well. Take suggestions from everyone and see what works best for you. If you are making progress towards your goal, keep going.

I forgot to comment on your diet in the last post. I would try to get a veggie in before noon. I always take down spinach with my eggs. Maybe have a salad with your turkey sandwich. I'd also have a veggie with the salmon instead of a V8. The diet doesn't look horrible

Back