***My Boss was Fired Today***

I was a manager once and it's just not worth it. It's a good experience to do it once, just so you understand why you shouldn't do it and it will make you a better employee in the long run because you'll be able to sympathize with your own managers in the future.

But ultimately, being good at an actual function is infinitely more valuable than being good at sitting around watching other people perform their function.

we didn't hit our numbers, needed a scapegoat to show that changes were being made

which everyone knew was bullshit from the start (in a market that's down 15%, we grew 8%, and it's still not good enough)

his boss the division head should be the one that gets fired, but the guy is like a teflon don (everything deflects off him)

Didn't make the numbers is just the excuse they told you guys. It was really because of the raises and promotions. He was making too much money and they want to replace him with someone they can pay less. Happens all the time in middle management.

I was a manager once and it's just not worth it. It's a good experience to do it once, just so you understand why you shouldn't do it and it will make you a better employee in the long run because you'll be able to sympathize with your own managers in the future.

But ultimately, being good at an actual function is infinitely more valuable than being good at sitting around watching other people perform their function.

People are sheep, they need a wolf to make sure no one slacks off. Especially in an office setting where it's harder to spot how much actual work was done in a given day.

Didn't make the numbers is just the excuse they told you guys. It was really because of the raises and promotions. He was making too much money and they want to replace him with someone they can pay less. Happens all the time in middle management.

i don't think that was the case

this company is very numbers focus, and they do irrational things all the time

they will sacrifice profit to make top line numbers

it's all about the numbers and not even on a quarterly basis, but monthly basis

All you can do is be as valuable and easy to work with as possible. Everything else is outside your control.

This is my initial thought as well. I've done this myself quite a few times with employees that I've had, though it's usually do to legacy wages they've earned through employment duration not actual achievements. TS example sounds like his rise was due to performance so compensation seems somewhat unlikely.

Still, TS is only guessing at why he was fired. It could be any number of factors with "missing targets" being the most PR friendly reason.

If there was a book of spite, I'd be the author.

You don't like it? It harms no one.........at least physically.

i'm indifferent, but i was just curious, it is a unique suggestion to say the least

This is my initial thought as well. I've done this myself quite a few times with employees that I've had, though it's usually do to legacy wages they've earned through employment duration not actual achievements. TS example sounds like his rise was due to performance so compensation seems somewhat unlikely.

Still, TS is only guessing at why he was fired. It could be any number of factors with "missing targets" being the most PR friendly reason.

i was very frank with the division head in forcing the issue as to why things happened

whenever we don't hit our numbers, we are exposed

there is an expectation that something must be done, change for the sake of change (rather being constructive or productive)

a move has to be made to save face and show that something has to be done

that is the culture of the company in which i work

This is very common in centralized top-down management structures and many contemporary business leaders are against this structure due to things like this. Now if you succeed him, you will be irrationally focused on targets by any means necessary. Someone with no morals will deliberately lie and cheat to get those numbers, thus making the whole system a failure.

I'd consider taking your talents to small business instead. I find the working environments much more friendly and pay on par in many cases.

This is very common in centralized top-down management structures and many contemporary business leaders are against this structure due to things like this. Now if you succeed him, you will be irrationally focused on targets by any means necessary. Someone with no morals will deliberately lie and cheat to get those numbers, thus making the whole system a failure.

I'd consider taking your talents to small business instead. I find the working environments much more friendly and pay on par in many cases.

yeah i agree

i can't move right away, i have a mortgage

but i might have to polish off the resume

the strange part is if i left immediately, they would be screwed at least for the next 6-12 months, they don't have a contingency for me leaving

so i have leverage, but i'm kind of stuck because moving would most likely mean a pay cut (which i'm not opposed to, but will be some adjustment)

the other factors are that the job market is not the greatest right now, and the office is so damn close to my home

Be it as it may, I'd hope your company at least makes his departure look good on paper. I always hate it when a good man gets let go.

Be it as it may, I'd hope your company at least makes his departure look good on paper. I always hate it when a good man gets let go.

yeah, he was a very good man

probably one of the best leaders in the company

the other part is we're losing an asset, and we are potentially providing ammunition to our competitors

Welcomes to corporate America
A place where money & greed rules over honesty and the majority of people.

Take his job and do such a Bad job at it, that they will beg him to comeback.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me wlu with my boss who got shitcanned on Friday (of course what other day would it be?). The owner said they had to let him go cause we were too disorganized with him running things and he thought that me and the other guy I work with ran things better. Plus the fact that we were doing the work of 3 people with 4 people in our dept.

I mean he brought me into the place, trained me, taught me everything I know, was very understanding when I took sick days, we joked around and he made work fun (I have a very tedious boring job and work with a bunch of assholes in other depts. around me) and if I didn't work with him we'd be best friends. I got to know him like he was family almost. We had a Xmas dinner as his place and everything.

I was fuckin' pissed when I found out they fired him. It sucks when they let good people go. Especially when they are good decent people and good bosses, for such stupid reasons.

I mean he had his faults like everyone does but again he took a chance on me and gave me a job when I needed one and then this happens. Fuck stingy owners and asshole bosses and rich people.

i was very frank with the division head in forcing the issue as to why things happened

whenever we don't hit our numbers, we are exposed

there is an expectation that something must be done, change for the sake of change (rather being constructive or productive)

a move has to be made to save face and show that something has to be done

that is the culture of the company in which i work

That sounds pretty terrible, actually.

Take his job and do such a Bad job at it, that they will beg him to comeback.

That's a recipe for disaster. It will just be his head on the chopping block. If you ask me management jobs aren't worth the extra bullshit and responsibility unless you are getting like a massive pay raise. A couple of more bucks an hour isn't worth i,t if you are that much more likely to get shit-canned for one fuck up, and having all the extra stress on top of it.

Fuck that. I already feel bad for feeling like I was partially responsible for assisting in getting my boss fired.

There is no winning in this situation. As you succeed they increase the targets until you can't hit them. Once you miss, you get fired.

You gotta get that pay but I can't fathom why people would voluntarily stay in big business unless you motivated to be a real player. Like you said, TS, dust that resume off.

That sounds pretty terrible, actually.

it is

i don't want any pity, i'm compensated pretty well

but maybe this is the kick in the pants that i need to re-evaluate my life and my career

what are my priorities, etc

Back