My bench form??

I would set up different as was mentioned earlier.Good push none the less.

Most of the advice in this thread is pretty terrible. If you can't bench at least 350 you probably shouldn't be giving this guy advice.

Also it's pretty clear his spotter didn't help him. That was a smooth lift with more in the tank.

OP: You need to set up more carefully with a strong and stable arch and take the bar out with the elbows locked and under control before you lower. As the weight comes out, keep your hips up (but your ass on the bench) and then drive your traps back into the bench with your heels as you attempt to drive it off your chest..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, lots of comments here do nothing but bicker over the amount of weight and spotting assistance. Why is it the objective of everyone to discredit the guy? What is this, youtube?

Here's one point that hasn't been raised: your grip. When you set up tighter (as others have mentioned), really squeeze the shit out of the bar. Don't unrack the bar until your knuckles are white.

Most of the advice in this thread is pretty terrible. If you can't bench at least 350 you probably shouldn't be giving this guy advice.

i hate comments like this, get off your high horse buddy.
numbers are all relative

i hate comments like this, get off your high horse buddy.
numbers are all relative

I am not on a high horse. It doesn't make sense for a guy with a 150 bench to tell a guy with a 350 bench how to train. Most of the bullshit trolling comments here are coming from guys who have probably never hit 225. Lift slower??? LOL half the people in this thread don't know jack shit about strength.

I don't mean to hijack your thread TS, but since this is a bench thread I thought it was a good place.

PCP or someone else, what do you think of this bench? Any disadvantages to having a single leg at the front? I've been floor pressing baby weight because I don't have a spotter but I'm finally getting a power rack and want to bench press in it. It weighs 18kg and is rated to 350kg apparently. I'm not sure if that's 350kg including my weight, either way I'm not reaching that anytime soon. :)

Do you know what it's dimensions are? Ie. width, length, height?

Do you know what it's dimensions are? Ie. width, length, height?

I was thinking of including that in my post, here it is:

LxWxH = 125cm x 71cm x 44cm (top of pad)
Hard foam pad, 28cm wide x 114cm long, with double stitched cover

Pardon the metric system :)

I don't mean to hijack your thread TS, but since this is a bench thread I thought it was a good place.

PCP or someone else, what do you think of this bench? Any disadvantages to having a single leg at the front? I've been floor pressing baby weight because I don't have a spotter but I'm finally getting a power rack and want to bench press in it. It weighs 18kg and is rated to 350kg apparently. I'm not sure if that's 350kg including my weight, either way I'm not reaching that anytime soon. :)

The main thing is to make sure that it's wide, stable, and the correct height. I would definitely check the APF (American Powerlifting Federation) website for the dimensions of their competition benches to see how yours compares -- the closer the better. I am worried that the pin holes in your rack might be too far apart for you to safely bench alone. Other thing is that you can't really reach 100% 1RM if you are doing the lift-off by yourself, it kills your triceps and flattens your arch out.

The main thing is to make sure that it's wide, stable, and the correct height. I would definitely check the APF (American Powerlifting Federation) website for the dimensions of their competition benches to see how yours compares -- the closer the better. I am worried that the pin holes in your rack might be too far apart for you to safely bench alone. Other thing is that you can't really reach 100% 1RM if you are doing the lift-off by yourself, it kills your triceps and flattens your arch out.

Thanks for the info. I posted the dimensions right above your post. Ill check out the APF website to see how they compare. I see what you mean about the holes on the rack, it would be better if they were like a powertec rack but I don't have much money to spend at the moment. I guess this will have to do, even if I have to sacrifice a tiny bit of rom to bench safely, this has to be better than what I'm doing now. I'm too worried about missing a rep when floor pressing so I never really push myself.

So compared to an ER-rack (because (a) they're high quality benches, used in competition, and (b) I know their measurements)

it's 4.5 cm higher, the pad is 2.5cm narrower and 3cm longer. Certainly longer isn't an issue. I don't know how much of a difference the width would make, but 2.5cm shouldn't be much of an issue. The height shouldn't be an issue, an even if it were, you can always put gym mats or a sheet or two of plywood on the ground to bench.

So compared to an ER-rack (because (a) they're high quality benches, used in competition, and (b) I know their measurements)

it's 4.5 cm higher, the pad is 2.5cm narrower and 3cm longer. Certainly longer isn't an issue. I don't know how much of a difference the width would make, but 2.5cm shouldn't be much of an issue. The height shouldn't be an issue, an even if it were, you can always put gym mats or a sheet or two of plywood on the ground to bench.

Thanks Tosa. I was hoping this would get the thumbs up from you guys because I can get it for $115AU (which is pretty close to USD$ these days) and free shipping since I'm buying the rack too.

Next up is a new bar, belt and some shoes!

Hey, as someone who can bench 350, I have to say that as soon as someone touches the bar it invalidates the lift. I mean the OP is clearly very strong, and I applaud him; he was asking for a form check and I think we should stick with that - but I'm pretty sure that even one finger touching the bar can take 5 - 10 lbs off it.

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I have been busy. Yes, I have a some more work on my bench, mainly getting a tighter upper back squeeze and incoporating even more triceps into the lift. I agree, the lift isn't clean enough. I had the gentleman stay with me on the lift because that was the heaviest i've ever attempted. I maxed out on a whim so I wasn't really prepared for that type of weight and i needed a spotter to say with me the whole time. Thanks for all the replies and I'll try again sometime without the aid of the spotter.

Back