Must-have supplements for hardgainer

Well, depends. If his main goal is to gain weight, 7-10 reps would be more beneficial for just packing on muscle. If he wants to get mostly stronger and a little bigger, 5 or less is ideal.

I'm just going by what he says, I know almost everyone here despises hypertrophy, but if someone just wants to gain weight 7-10 reps is better.

I was just picking on the 'lift heavy' sentiment mate and linking that to so many reps :icon_chee

to answer you question without spoon feeding you

lets assume your workouts and diet are perfect and (as you stated) you are simply looking for MUST have supplements for a hard gainer.

1) I'd say in addition to simple whey (maybe instead of?) to purchase a good quality weight gainer or meal replacement shake and use those in addition to the many meals you eat during the day. As far as what type of shake to purchase, I don't really know, and that's where you'll have to do your own research.

2) So...assuming that you are on a great lifting routine already you would want something that would allow you to work harder while in the gym...and something that would aid in recovery so that you are able to work hard every time you set foot in the gym. Creatine and BA immediately come to mind. I've never tried the L-Carnitine or read anything beyond David Barr or other sherdog sources about it (which may be all the info i need anyway), so that may be something else to look into. Again..this is where you do your own research...look for supplements that will aid in high intensity workouts and recovery.

so here comes the slightly preachy part. the two biggest factors in gaining weight are diet and lifting routine. there is a lot of information out there to maximize those two(berardi's free "scrawny to brawny" articles for example). you will see much greater gains from a slight to medium adjustment to your dieting and exercise than if you left those in a less than ideal state and took half a dozen different supplements.

and you know what...maximizing your diet and exercise (more so the diet) is kinda hard (in my opinion). lots of planning and research is required. but once you get past the initial time investment and make it a routine it'll come to you a lot easier and be part of your lifestyle.

cheers

PS: anyone...feel free to correct me on my suggested supplements (which it appears should be the least of his worries)

As someone who thought he was a hardgainer, I feel somewhat qualified to chime in. I will back the poster who said that hardgainers are a myth.

Here's my tips for you:
-stop running. You dont need it, and its an inefficient form of cardio anyway.
-eat more protein and complex carbs
-buy a gainer (I personally like Ultimate Nutrition muscle juice, it has a high caloric density, pretty good ingredient profile, and is inexpensive), and drink it between big meals, dont use it as a substitute.
-add another day of lifting per week
-do compound lifts only, especially if you are low on time. I found that when I only had three days to weight train per week, I made good strength/size gains on Chad Waterbury's three day per week program. Find it on TESTOSTERONE NATION | World's Largest Bodybuilding and Weight Loss Underground Nation
-drink at least a gallon of water per day
-take creatine mono every day/post workout.

As someone who thought he was a hardgainer, I feel somewhat qualified to chime in. I will back the poster who said that hardgainers are a myth.

Here's my tips for you:
-stop running. You dont need it, and its an inefficient form of cardio anyway.
-eat more protein and complex carbs
-buy a gainer (I personally like Ultimate Nutrition muscle juice, it has a high caloric density, pretty good ingredient profile, and is inexpensive), and drink it between big meals, dont use it as a substitute.
-add another day of lifting per week
-do compound lifts only, especially if you are low on time. I found that when I only had three days to weight train per week, I made good strength/size gains on Chad Waterbury's three day per week program. Find it on TESTOSTERONE NATION | World's Largest Bodybuilding and Weight Loss Underground Nation
-drink at least a gallon of water per day
-take creatine mono every day/post workout.

I run to keep my endurance up for mma. I realize its a lot harder to gain mass while simultaneously burning calories off by running. Are you suggesting there is a more efficient form of cardio I could be doing?

Also, great tips guys...keep it coming. I am planning on upping my overall calories a by a few hundred a day, doing more compound lifts and maybe running only once a week and lifting 3 times. I am looking into some weight gainer as well. I have always been skeptical of most supplements as a "crutch" to building muscle when truth betold I think some adjustments to my diet and lifting would be much more beneficial. I only asked about supplements as I have tried reading up on them and there is so much contradictory and advertising bullshit out there i didnt know what to believe.

I run to keep my endurance up for mma. I realize its a lot harder to gain mass while simultaneously burning calories off by running. Are you suggesting there is a more efficient form of cardio I could be doing?

Also, great tips guys...keep it coming. I am planning on upping my overall calories a by a few hundred a day, doing more compound lifts and maybe running only once a week and lifting 3 times. I am looking into some weight gainer as well. I have always been skeptical of most supplements as a "crutch" to building muscle when truth betold I think some adjustments to my diet and lifting would be much more beneficial. I only asked about supplements as I have tried reading up on them and there is so much contradictory and advertising bullshit out there i didnt know what to believe.

Depends on what your goals are man. If you want to have rad cardio, do cardio. If you want to gain weight, lift heavy and put yourself in a caloric surplus. But trying to do both is like mixing Nyquil amd Dayquil.

But yes, I do suggest a more efficient form of cardio, like say, training mma/grappling/skipping/HIIT etc. Distance running is hard on your body relative to what you get from it cardio wise, and in my experience there is no replacement for grappling, if you want to improve your grappling endurance.

As for your carb comment, you must have read the FAQ incorrectly. Simple carbs should be kept around training, complex carbs at all other times.

Look dude you don't get it. A few hundred more calories per day? No. Try 1500 more at least. Believe me man I used to be in the same boat as you.

"I eat a lot why am I still skinny!?"

You're not eating nearly enough. To get big you need to eat, sleep, and lift big.

Oh and running burns the most calories per minute of any exercise. I'm sure you can find a less demanding source of movement to keep cardio up.

I would use muscle tech supplements, but you have to develop respect for them. That takes time.

LOL, 2400 calories a day to bulk? Eat my friend, eat!

Oats, Sweet Potatoes, Whole Wheat Pasta, ALOT of lean meat (chicken, turkey, beef, tuna etc), milk etc.

Try the Squats and Milk program. I will be willing to bet you will add about 15lbs by the end of the cycle.

^^^^Firstscratch, that's a horrible idea. You'll be buying $200 worth of shit supplements a month and not making any progress. I constantly laugh at the guys guzzling their NO Xplode and other stuff before doing their mega-curl routines, talking about getting bigger. TS, you'll get a lot better info right here.

And as for time, I don't buy. I am gone for work (including 1 hour commute each way) for 14-15 hours a day, go to the gym for an hour and a half a day, and spend time with my 18 month old daughter and I've still managed to read the stickies several times. I still skim through on occasion, cause there's so much info I always catch something new. Here, I'll make it easy for ya:

FAQ

yep

plus lifting big/heavy and using compound exercises: squats, deadlifts, OHP's, BOR's, bench press, cleans, etc .

to answer you question without spoon feeding you

lets assume your workouts and diet are perfect and (as you stated) you are simply looking for MUST have supplements for a hard gainer.

1) I'd say in addition to simple whey (maybe instead of?) to purchase a good quality weight gainer or meal replacement shake and use those in addition to the many meals you eat during the day. As far as what type of shake to purchase, I don't really know, and that's where you'll have to do your own research.

2) So...assuming that you are on a great lifting routine already you would want something that would allow you to work harder while in the gym...and something that would aid in recovery so that you are able to work hard every time you set foot in the gym. Creatine and BA immediately come to mind. I've never tried the L-Carnitine or read anything beyond David Barr or other sherdog sources about it (which may be all the info i need anyway), so that may be something else to look into. Again..this is where you do your own research...look for supplements that will aid in high intensity workouts and recovery.

so here comes the slightly preachy part. the two biggest factors in gaining weight are diet and lifting routine. there is a lot of information out there to maximize those two(berardi's free "scrawny to brawny" articles for example). you will see much greater gains from a slight to medium adjustment to your dieting and exercise than if you left those in a less than ideal state and took half a dozen different supplements.

and you know what...maximizing your diet and exercise (more so the diet) is kinda hard (in my opinion). lots of planning and research is required. but once you get past the initial time investment and make it a routine it'll come to you a lot easier and be part of your lifestyle.

cheers

PS: anyone...feel free to correct me on my suggested supplements (which it appears should be the least of his worries)

good call ont he creatine and ba

i wouldve suggested it but i think ts just needs to tweak his eating and lifting a bit before goin head on into the supps

Ok so in this article ur suggesting simple carbs but in Elliots a few posts above he says complex...is there an argument to support or deny either of these?

I had to look over my post again to figure out what you were talking about, lol. The passage from the FAQ states "simple carbs in moderation." If you read more in depth you will find that, like someone else already mentioned, simple carbs are recommended moreso for before & after workouts only, with complex carbs coming mainly in the form of veggies, fruit & whole grains.

Depends on what your goals are man. If you want to have rad cardio, do cardio. If you want to gain weight, lift heavy and put yourself in a caloric surplus. But trying to do both is like mixing Nyquil amd Dayquil.

But yes, I do suggest a more efficient form of cardio, like say, training mma/grappling/skipping/HIIT etc. Distance running is hard on your body relative to what you get from it cardio wise, and in my experience there is no replacement for grappling, if you want to improve your grappling endurance.

As for your carb comment, you must have read the FAQ incorrectly. Simple carbs should be kept around training, complex carbs at all other times.

1) HIIT- Its time efficient. Its not the be all and end all

2) I put on more weight training a lot easier then if I'm not training alot (I'm talking lifting and skill work amounting to 15 ish hours)

Like i said, I dont have a lot of extra time...I could sit here and read thread after thread but it would be much easier if i could get a few suggestions so I know what to look for.

Ive read quite of few of the stickies...and they are massive and have a ton of links..i need some "to-the-point" facts/suggestions

Telling me your time is more valuable than mine is a good way to get me to give you information.. Some nice person already took the time to make the FAQs an easy reference point. You should appreciate it instead of complaining that "ALL THE INFORMATION YOU COULD EVER NEED" is in one thread.

Telling me your time is more valuable than mine is a good way to get me to give you information.. Some nice person already took the time to make the FAQs an easy reference point. You should appreciate it instead of complaining that "ALL THE INFORMATION YOU COULD EVER NEED" is in one thread.

i wasnt implying that my time is more valuable than anyone elses. Merely that there is so much information in the stickies and faqs that its "information overload". i was looking for a push in the right direction so i know what to look for when im reading the stickies

1) HIIT- Its time efficient. Its not the be all and end all

2) I put on more weight training a lot easier then if I'm not training alot (I'm talking lifting and skill work amounting to 15 ish hours)

1) Um...no, its not the be all and end all. Thats why I listed like five different forms of cardio that are better than running.

2) Thats anecdotal.

1) Um...no, its not the be all and end all. Thats why I listed like five different forms of cardio that are better than running.

2) Thats anecdotal.

1) HIIT isn't running, its a training protocal that alternates between sprinting and active rest intervals. There is no 'better than'

2) I like to eat

I think the cause of being a hard-gainer is overtraining. I only train each muscle group once a week but with intensity. Train hard, then rest a lot. Protein is important and can be consumed relatively inexpensively by drinking milk. Skim milk is great if you are cutting weight but homo has more calories per dollar, which is probably better for bulking up on a budget. The one supplement that really works for me and I like a lot is buffered creatine.

Back