Must be nice to be Marlon Moraes! WSOF champion's pay compared to UFC

Citing Rory and Dillashaws recent disclosed payouts is a bit useless.. as has been discussed and confirmed repeatedly for many years now-

the UFC reported payouts are not an accurate reflection of what the athletes are truly being paid.

There are employment contracts, promotional contracts, bonuses and other incentives ufc fighters receive that are not public knowledge. So all we can really do is speculate there.

Reminds me of the K-1 US card a few years back where all these big kickboxing stars received reported payouts of $"1" and "$300" etc... point is, we can't accurately gauge/compare anything using those figures.

All that being said, that is a nice payout for Moraes, especially considering his relative status/stardom in the sport.

What is the minimum UFC contract nowadays, 8/8? That's 8 times more than the lowest WSOF and Bellator contracts. Yes, they likely have higher profits--and that's why their worst contracts are 8 times better than the competition and the sky is the limit for those that work their way up. Conor McGregor, for example, recently made millions. No matter how hard you work in WSOF or Bellator, you're never making that much.

Since no one knows their finances, no one knows that the UFC is paying their guys unfairly. All we do know is they're paying their employees significantly better than the competition. As someone else pointed out, Adam Cella was given a chance to gain fans by putting him on a TV show and went from getting $6k to show to $1k to show for Bellator. I'm sure he wishes he was getting exploited by the UFC right now...

I'm sure he does, but it doesn't change the principal, nor does it change the reality that they take a ridiculously disproportionate slice of the pie.

I'm not mad at WSOF payouts, much as they suck. They're a glorified regional promotion. They lose money on their shows I hear, which at least shows they're giving fair payouts relative to what they generate.

So last Saturday, there was UFC 190, but there was also World Series of Fighting.

Bantamweight champion
Marlon Moraes earned 70k to show, 70k to win his 8th consecutive career bout for the organization. We can all agree, it is much easier to win in WSOF against the likes of [should I even name the guys there?].

Rory MacDonald, a 12 fight UFC veteran fighting for the belt only earned 59k salary and lost a few years of his life in the process but hey at least he got himself some fresh new Reebcock apparel.

Hell, even Bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw made a measly $52,000 to show, $52,000 win to fight killers like Barao.

I agree, Conor and his $5+ million is jealous.

I'm sure he does, but it doesn't change the principal, nor does it change the reality that they take a ridiculously disproportionate slice of the pie.

I'm not mad at WSOF payouts, much as they suck. They're a glorified regional promotion. They lose money on their shows I hear, which at least shows they're giving fair payouts relative to what they generate.

WSOF is making money from advertisers and then paying guys $1000 to fill up their programming slot. $1000 to train for a few months. These fighters are losing money, let alone WSOF.

Get real. Like I said, it's their company, their right, and they voluntarily sign the contract, but they more than break even on nearly every card if the estimations are close to correct, and I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Show me these estimations

Then show me how we arrive at those estimations

Show me these estimations

Then show me how we arrive at those estimations

If I'm not mistaken, they profit on anything over 200k, and the estimations are per Dave Meltzer, who has been doing this a while and doesn't seem to have an agenda.

WSOF is making money from advertisers and then paying guys $1000 to fill up their programming slot. $1000 to train for a few months. These fighters are losing money, let alone WSOF.

I don't know what their advertisers are paying them, though I'm sure the number probably isn't that big. I can't imagine they're turning much of a profit. Milesabove claims they lose money on some shows. They're paying what they're capable of, it seems.

If I'm not mistaken, they profit on anything over 200k, and the estimations are per Dave Meltzer, who has been doing this a while and doesn't seem to have an agenda.

That's like 9th party hearsay, lol

Stop it people, you don't understand the UFCs money

If you think Moraes makes more than Rory and TJ, you're trippin'.

Didn't TJ sign a new contract after winning the title? I can't believe he accepted that little.

You're a moron if you think Rory Mac only made $59k for that fight against Lawler.

Haha thread went ugly for TS real quick.

seems like wsof is opening their wallet.
i remember the money paid to some of their fighters were $500 not too long ago. a 100% raise! lol

I don't know what their advertisers are paying them, though I'm sure the number probably isn't that big. I can't imagine they're turning much of a profit. Milesabove claims they lose money on some shows. They're paying what they're capable of, it seems.

I assure you they are not breaking even. I am friends with a few people inside the company. They are given injections after running at a loss.

Moraes' manager is the MATCHMAKER for the WSOF. It's an incredibly shady and problematic conflict of interest. Essentially he's negotiating with himself on the amount for his fighter and taking what is likely a higher percentage than he should.

He's essentially embezzling.

That's very shady, but Moraes is pretty terrific nonetheless.
Glad he's making money, I know he just signed a extended contract.

Moraes' manager is the MATCHMAKER for the WSOF. It's an incredibly shady and problematic conflict of interest. Essentially he's negotiating with himself on the amount for his fighter and taking what is likely a higher percentage than he should.

He's essentially embezzling.

It sounds a bit shadier than it is. Ali also manages lots of other fighters including top UFC fighters and champions (Werdum, RDA, Edgar, Khabib etc.) and has gone on record saying if Marlon wanted to go to the UFC he would let him. He has too close of a relationship with Marlon and guys Marlon trains with regularly like Frankie to pull some shady tactics on Marlon to lock him into WSOF unfairly. He would kill his reputation if he ever tried anything like that and Frankie was one of his first real clients and helped him gain traction in the industry so he definitely wouldn't want to damage that relationship. I guess since he manages him he could give him easier matchups but tbh there aren't many BW's in WSOF that wouldn't be easy matchups for him right now. He did just have a tough fight against Hill two fights ago.

You forgot to include the Nate Diaz and Khabib fight. They didn't get paid anything!

That fight got more attention than the actual fights.

Nate=needle mover.:icon_lol:

Back