Must be nice to be Marlon Moraes! WSOF champion's pay compared to UFC

Moraes' manager is the MATCHMAKER for the WSOF. It's an incredibly shady and problematic conflict of interest. Essentially he's negotiating with himself on the amount for his fighter and taking what is likely a higher percentage than he should.

He's essentially embezzling.

He's a building block of the company and very talented, it doesn't seem like an outrageous number.

Cool. One guy on the payroll did well. Now how about you post the salaries of the rest of the guys on the card?

Lolololol 8 guys on a $1000/$1000 contract. Fighter pay fighter pay fighter pay!

This.

I don't think anyone is mad at the fighter about it. I think they're concerned how that's possible.... and rightfully so.

Aren't Shields, Fitch, and Palhares making similar numbers or am I mistaken?

He's a building block of the company and very talented, it doesn't seem like an outrageous number.

There's no denying he's a solid talent. That does not justify paying him that much. There is no way the numbers changed because he was on the card. It was all about Shields/PaulHarris. The company loses about $2-300,000 per show thanks to oddly inflated prices for the fighters owned by the Matchmaker. I can tell you how to save about $140,000 right away.

Aren't Shields, Fitch, and Palhares making similar numbers or am I mistaken?

Those three names are the three names that can actually pull numbers. Nobody outside hardcore fans know who Moraes is. I like the guy. He has real talent. But $140,000 is ridiculous, as he's not marketable to casual fans.

Maybe. Who are you to say they don't?

Moraes, the champion, made a whopping 140 times more on Saturday than 8 of his fellow fighters on the same card did. Yet when a UFC champ makes hundreds of thousands of dollars and another guy only makes $10k, guys like you whine like crazy about how unfair it is. Welcome to the real word: the guy at the top makes more than the guy at the bottom. Moraes is the champion, so he makes decent money. The guys at the bottom of the totem pole don't make shit. TJ made many times more than what the guys on the prelims of his card did; he's doing well given his stature.

You need to take into account what the UFC is generating vs what WSOF is. I think the principal is important as well, considering what WSOF draws, the payout is reasonable. Zuffa could afford to pay their fighters way more and still have a huge profit. I'm a capitalist and a libertarian, so I defend their right to do it, but at the end of the day, morally, it's wrong, it's greed, and they're exploiting their guys. It's the same with the Reebok stuff.

There's no denying he's a solid talent. That does not justify paying him that much. There is no way the numbers changed because he was on the card. It was all about Shields/PaulHarris. The company loses about $2-300,000 per show thanks to oddly inflated prices for the fighters owned by the Matchmaker. I can tell you how to save about $140,000 right away.

Those three names are the three names that can actually pull numbers. Nobody outside hardcore fans know who Moraes is. I like the guy. He has real talent. But $140,000 is ridiculous, as he's not marketable to casual fans.

Fair point. The only thing I can say is perhaps they're taking care of him now as good will in an effort to perhaps lock him up in the future. An investment of sorts.

Fair point. The only thing I can say is perhaps they're taking care of him now as good will in an effort to perhaps lock him up in the future. An investment of sorts.

Oh, that's exactly what the matchmaker told Sefo and the board. But you know what..... he's making the money off Moraes. If his fighter goes to UFC, he likely loses him as a client as well. It's just a conflict of interest and he's gouging the company.

Some of his fighters I love, and they're personal friends and acquaintances, but the guy is shady.

You need to take into account what the UFC is generating vs what WSOF is. I think the principal is important as well, considering what WSOF draws, the payout is reasonable. Zuffa could afford to pay their fighters way more and still have a huge profit. I'm a capitalist and a libertarian, so I defend their right to do it, but at the end of the day, morally, it's wrong, it's greed, and they're exploiting their guys. It's the same with the Reebok stuff.

I'd wait to see the UFCs books before making statements like this.

You don't know what Zuffa can or can't afford, nor do you know what WSOF generates relative to their payout.

Stop it.

Cool. One guy on the payroll did well. Now how about you post the salaries of the rest of the guys on the card?

Lolololol 8 guys on a $1000/$1000 contract. Fighter pay fighter pay fighter pay!

Those salaries are disgusting. Literally.

I'd wait to see the UFCs books before making statements like this.

You don't know what Zuffa can or can't afford, nor do you know what WSOF generates relative to their payout.

Stop it.

Get real. Like I said, it's their company, their right, and they voluntarily sign the contract, but they more than break even on nearly every card if the estimations are close to correct, and I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Those salaries are disgusting. Literally.

It's the same thing Bellator does/Strikeforce did. What they are getting is probably close to what they would for fighting somewhere else.

Oh, that's exactly what the matchmaker told Sefo and the board. But you know what..... he's making the money off Moraes. If his fighter goes to UFC, he likely loses him as a client as well. It's just a conflict of interest and he's gouging the company.

Some of his fighters I love, and they're personal friends and acquaintances, but the guy is shady.

Fair points.

10k with the chance of a 50k bonus > 1k + 1k win bonus

What is the minimum UFC contract nowadays, 8/8? That's 8 times more than the lowest WSOF and Bellator contracts. Yes, they likely have higher profits--and that's why their worst contracts are 8 times better than the competition and the sky is the limit for those that work their way up. Conor McGregor, for example, recently made millions. No matter how hard you work in WSOF or Bellator, you're never making that much.

Since no one knows their finances, no one knows that the UFC is paying their guys unfairly. All we do know is they're paying their employees significantly better than the competition. As someone else pointed out, Adam Cella was given a chance to gain fans by putting him on a TV show and went from getting $6k to show to $1k to show for Bellator. I'm sure he wishes he was getting exploited by the UFC right now...

Some guys could go there and make a very decent paycheck, but the possibilty of "dat UFC Conor money" must be too tempting to pass, besides, that is disclosed pay money, UFC has ocasional 50k bonuses and the infamous locker room money as well, i dont think sponsorship money is that big there anyway, the exposure is a lot smaller.

You forgot to include the Nate Diaz and Khabib fight. They didn't get paid anything!

How many fighters that never fought in ufc/pride are making serious money outside of the ufc right now? It isn't a very big number at all, chances you become some fat cat mma fighter outside of the ufc is pretty slim. And the pay on the way up is only a small percentage.

Back