Muscle ups

Not muscle ups specifically in my case, it is very much a skill as well as a test of strength, I was able to do 30 strict dead hang pull ups yet unable to do a single muscle up - I had the strength, but not the technique. I just couldn't get over the bar, but when I spent a few weeks practising them I mastered them no problem, and now can to between 10 and 12 in a row. Definitely takes a little practice.

The pull up strength that you'll have to build in order to be able to do strict muscle ups will have much more of a carry over to lifting or MMA in my opinion, heavy weighted pull ups 3 to 5 reps has been what has helped most of my clients in obtaining a muscle up and building the strength to do so. Heavy weighted pulls have more carry over to both lifting and MMA in my opinion.

Its an interesting exercise, a pull up, a leg raise and a dip all in one movement and it is a lot of fun.

If you want, then I'd say give them a try, if they keep you in the 5 to 10 rep range and help you get stronger, more power to you. I have a lot of fun doing them and include them in my workouts a few times per week.

Try russian dips to help train the transition over the bar. (google/youtube)

Last edited:
Simon, Do you not fight anymore ? why did you stop ?

Simon, Do you not fight anymore ? why did you stop ?

Hi mate,
There has been a lot of factors stopping me fighting, but I'm hoping to come back at bantamweight in 2013. I'll be posting regularly in my training log regarding training.
Thank you for asking bro. I appreciate it

Simon, try using false grip on the rings. Way easier and don't require the leg raise

Hi mate,

I use false grip on rings when I get a chance to go to my local gymnastics centre which isn't as often as I would like. I nearly always do muscle ups on outdoor pull up bars.

I usually don't use a true false grip on a pull up bar unless I am doing slow muscle ups.

I agree the false grip does make it a hell of a lot easier on rings, and there is no bar 'blocking' your path of movement on the rings.

Last edited:
At first i thought you had to be incredibly strong for them, but its just technique anyone can do a pull up and a dip, so after i learned to do them, i dont think i gained any particular benefits from them so i quit doing them. They also seem very heavy on my lower arms when i come down and i already have a lot of problems in that region, i still occasionally do them, but i rather split my training and do push ups and pull ups seperated.

nah no carry over just love blowing people out when i do em. they are rare here in oz but we now have 12+ people that can do em and no we are not a crossfit gym either

If you can do a pull up to your chest and can do a dip then you got the strength to do a muscleup. The only thing left is to be able to generate some power or kip to get your arm perpendicualr to the bar. To learn the full muscle up I just practiced the half muscle up(one arm then the other) to get the feeling of throwing my arm above the bar. A lot of people will recommend that you swing and kip hard to do it but I found powering your way much easier, try both ways.

I am able to do muscle-ups, but I havn't really incorporated them into my workouts. Usually I am too tired after my normal lifts to do more than a handful of reps, not at a consistent rate, so I rarely do them.

Handful means maybe 1-3 reps.

I do muscle ups as part of my strength training. They are my favorite bodyweight exercise. I do them on a bar at a nearby playground.

MMA carryover is mainly grip and core strength. Muscle-ups also build explosiveness in the upper body, especially the upper back.

I typically do 3 sets of 10-15 muscleups a few times per
Week in addition to regular strength training

I do muscle ups as part of my strength training. They are my favorite bodyweight exercise. I do them on a bar at a nearby playground.

MMA carryover is mainly grip and core strength. Muscle-ups also build explosiveness in the upper body, especially the upper back.

I typically do 3 sets of 10-15 muscleups a few times per
Week in addition to regular strength training

10 to 15 reps is a good way to train explosiveness.

wait, no, no it isn't.

Ok well I try to pull myself as far above th bar as possible in one quick pull, This makes it an explosive lift IME.. Similar to the power clean.

Also Adding weight is hard with muscleups so i've just increase the reps and add in weighted pullups or one-arm pullups when i need a heavy day

what's up with the overwhelming amount of aussies and kiwis in this thread? love it.

oi oi oi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back