Muscle Soreness/Recovery Suggestions

My general understanding is that soreness is your bodies way of telling you that it thinks(anthropomorphizing here) that the motion or load/volume etc is threatening. With that in mind, what I've tried the most and has seemed to work for me is to have exposure to that motion and generally that ROM as often as possible, with low loads for low volumes.

When my girlfriend tried to work out again after a very long layoff, she tried to dive quickly back into squats and kettlebell swings, and immediately afterward it was pain to sit down, to lift up a leg, or stand up from sitting.

We then immediately went into having her take her legs through the motion of a squat laying on her back until the soreness subsided, and then doing a squat motion onto the couch every few minutes until that stopped being painful, and then intermittent bodyweight squats for the next few days. Hit it again a few days later, didn't seem to be any soreness. If you frequently do a motion within the range of your capabilities, it will not be threatening, and your body shouldn't be throwing red flags at you.

This is very interesting and it's something that I had heard from one source before although most trainers will tell you to completely rest a sore muscle group. I would like to understand the physiology behind how this may work. Perhaps moving those sore muscles under minimal load stimulate bloodflow and faster recovery?

My own contribution to the thread question would be try and sleep a bit more and take a casein protein and a teaspoon of L-Glutamine before bed. You can find both products at most health food stores as well as online.

on your clean eating...are you sure you are eating ENOUGH? Its not just about what you eat but how much. I havnt really had problems with muscle soreness after over 3 months of training and all I really do is eat a lot and get my sleep. Then again Im 24, but Id still look at that on top of the other good suggestions.

I usually shower certain body parts with really hot water. Helps me bit.

ts, have you tried a hot tub soak?

This thread is awesome. ASUThermo, thanks for the link, will watch it later.

For you guys who train more than once a day, do you do a contrast shower between your workouts?

Most days, due to less than optimum scheduling, I have a 4 hour break between workouts (or less) and am wondering what is best for recovery; a normal shower, a hot one to stay loose, a cold one, or a contrast shower.

ts, have you tried a hot tub soak?

Yes i definitely think soaking in epsom salt bath for 20 mins. or so is good for relaxing before bed but i don't know if it helps with soreness that much. Whenever i've been able to get a good deep tissue massage its help greatly with shoulder pressure/tightness. Also i've found the more i dynamically stretch before a workout the better overall. My massage therapist has also suggested soaking sometime after a massage as well.

The Black and Decker buffer looks like something worth checking out to.

Along with what's been said, ice baths and contrast showers are options. Perhaps a massage if you have some cash you feel like getting rid of.

I have unlimited physio with my sweet governemnt job where I fuck the dog 20 hours a week and get paid for 35. My physio guy lets me get massage 1x a week and bills it under physio. The MT is a cute asian too. Its pretty sweet

Back