Muay Thai vs Taekwondo in full contact TKD competition (Awesome KO) - VIDEO

It is from the Seido kaikan (a kyokushin karate offshot) world cup 1993. About the same time that Kazuyoshi Ishii (former kyokushin fighter and founder of seidokaikan) branched out and founded K-1.
The rules is more or less kyokushin, with the exception that in the case of draw after normal time, they put on gloves and allowed headpunching in extension rounds. That didnt happen in this fight between a Japanese ITF national champion (whose name I dont remember) and MT legend Kiatsongrit. It did happen in the final between Hug and Satake, though.
Hug vs Satake bareknuckle karate rounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_-ADtI4Exg
Hug vs Satake glove rounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu8WEdHAqmM

Shin Ushikoshi was the TKD guy's name.
We talked about this fight in another thread a short while ago:
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2454589&page=2

awesome. i could watch that all day.

top level tkd guys are no joke. tkd gets a lot of hate on these forums which is unfortunate.

back in the day i used to train with a few ustu style olympians under an old school korean master in the midwest.

i couldn

Every style vs style test should allow low kicking and punches to the face. Or else its just silly.

Every style vs style test should allow low kicking and punches to the face. Or else its just silly.

Why did you arbitrarily assign that? All style vs style should be no rules competitions with anything going, or else there will always be an excuse.

another TKD KO against a guy who barely knows Muay Thai...why do ppl take these videos seriously?

Why did you arbitrarily assign that? All style vs style should be no rules competitions with anything going, or else there will always be an excuse.

Nah. its not that hard to find rules that are free enough for both styles to use their weapons, without making it a no-rules to the death match.

If you are going to show a video of what "real Muay Thai" is then Olympic boxer Somrak probably isn't the best example, don't you think?
Just because he was a good boxer as well? That must mean Samart didn't do real Muay Thai either?

Just because he was a good boxer as well? That must mean Samart didn't do real Muay Thai either?

No, that wasn't what I was getting at. Obviously Muay Thai is the basis of Somrak martial arts. My point is that he also brings boxing and some unusual classical techniques of Muay Boran into the ring. If you're going to say "that isn't Muay Thai, let me show you REAL Muay Thai" then there are some better guys to show. Somrak is using a lot of boxing and Boran techniques along WITH his excellent grasp of Muay Thai.

No, that wasn't what I was getting at. Obviously Muay Thai is the basis of Somrak martial arts. My point is that he also brings boxing and some unusual classical techniques of Muay Boran into the ring. If you're going to say "that isn't Muay Thai, let me show you REAL Muay Thai" then there are some better guys to show. Somrak is using a lot of boxing and Boran techniques along WITH his excellent grasp of Muay Thai.
Well, to be fair so does Saenchai. Jumping downwards elbow, jumping low kick, twist kicks and his more or less patented cartwheel kick.. Yet he was awarded for putting on the most beautiful display of Muay Thai for the king's daughter or something like that. Just because less people use those techniques now doesn't mean they aren't still part of the art. If more people were at the level Saenchai is at I'd say the world of Thaiboxing would be a whole lot more exciting.

Last edited:
If you are going to show a video of what "real Muay Thai" is then Olympic boxer Somrak probably isn't the best example, don't you think?

spent a few years in thailand, not saying your ignorant (you probably know this) but MT has tons of different styles....tons of different fighters

Last edited:
Muay Thai is a sport, Muay Boran was the style used, it has evolved

Last edited:
This is Christophe Pinna who trained in TKD and Karate and used mostly TKD techniques to dominate WKF Karate Competitions.

spent a few years in thailand, not saying your ignorant (you probably know this) but MT has tons of different styles....tons of different fighters

It certainly does, but when you're talking about what Muay Thai the sport is (like your post indicated), showing a guy who brings in a lot of boxing and older Muay Boran moves that are rarely if ever used in the sport, you aren't representing Muay Thai as well as you could

This is Christophe Pinna who trained in TKD and Karate and used mostly TKD techniques to dominate WKF Karate Competitions.

Ok, now I'm about to do what I kinda chastised theblackknight for--- Sensei Pinna has never trained in Taekwondo. Heavy WKF practitioners in general like to use kicking styles akin to the Americanized 80s/90s Karate days which had a lot of Taekwondo influence.

Back