Muay Thai vs Taekwondo in full contact TKD competition (Awesome KO) - VIDEO

Interesting to see a MT stylist in a point based TKD style competition where only kicks are allowed.

wheres the MT guy in the video? the ref?

kinda reminds me of these TKD vs MT video...clearly TKD is the superior art. Changpuek has nothing on these guys:

Many of the top TKD guys are very dangerous dudes. And a good TKD scrap is an exciting thing to watch. But there is a reason MMA is a very difficult transition for them.

Because TKD competitions only award points for punches and kicks to the body and head, that's what they train. And they train to avoid and block punches and kicks to the body and head. But they just go so damn long without even having to worry about what to do if some dude just grabs you. Or shoves you against a fence or rings, much less tries to take you down.

It is just a much harder transition than coming from other disciplines.

Last edited:
Many of the top TKD guys are very dangerous dudes. And a good TKD scrap is an exciting thing to watch. But there is a reason MMA is a very difficult transition for them.

Because TKD competitions only award points for punches and kicks to the body and head, that's what they train. And they train to avoid and block punches and kicks to the body and head. But they just go so damn long without even having to worry about what to do if some dude just grabs you. Or shoves you against a fence or rings, much less tries to take you down.

It is just a harder transition than the other way around.

would you say that MT is a more complete art then in comparison to TKD because of the low kicks, clinching, throws and trips?

seems like MT is more adaptable to the MMA world.

then again, we havent seen a high level nakmuay make a successful transition into high level MMA yet either. im not counting Malaipet, M-16 or any of the One FC guys as high level MMA.

would you say that MT is a more complete art then in comparison to TKD because of the low kicks, clinching, throws and trips?

then again, we havent seen a high level nakmuay make a successful transition into high level MMA yet either. im not counting Malaipet, M-16 or any of the One FC guys as high level MMA.

they are the only thai's that fight mma. i doubt we will see many more as thailand has almost no wrestling or jiujitsu places and the ones they do have are expensive and are for farang. the only ones who fight mma all live abroad

Do you know in what competition was this? Could they strike the head?

That was a Seidokan Karate tournament. They alternate from Kyokushin rules to kickboxing rules.

never heard of a mma guy being successful in tkd either.

I meant as opposed to going into MMA from a wrestling or BJJ background. The majority of MMA elite come from a wrestling or BJJ background, and become proficient in striking, as opposed to competing at a stand-up only art at a high level, the learning the rest.

That's true, but they have got further than boxers.

I would say that Kickboxing first, then MT, are probably the best 'stand-up arts' to come from if you are going to transition to MMA.

In MT- you train to use fists, kicks, knees and elbows to the legs, body and head, and you also get to develop clinch work and the plumb. Definitely the most transferable art from an offensive standpoint.

Kickboxing is not quite as complete in terms of offensive attacks. But elite kickboxers on the whole learn better spacial awareness and footwork, so their defense seems to transfer over a little better.

But of course the big difference is the MT stance is a wrestlers fucking wet dream. So MT fighters at an elite MMA level must learn to fight from a different stabce, which throws all their offense off.

Of course no stand-up art is nearly a good of a base as wrestling (1) or BJJ (2).

That's true, but they have got further than boxers.

I would say that Kickboxing first, then MT, are probably the best 'stand-up arts' to come from if you are going to transition to MMA.

In MT- you train to use fists, kicks, knees and elbows to the legs, body and head, and you also get to develop clinch work and the plumb. Definitely the most transferable art from an offensive standpoint.

Kickboxing is not quite as complete in terms of offensive attacks. But elite kickboxers on the whole learn better spacial awareness and footwork, so their defense seems to transfer over a little better.

But of course the big difference is the MT stance is a wrestlers fucking wet dream. So MT fighters at an elite MMA level must learn to fight from a different stabce, which throws all their offense off.

Of course no stand-up art is nearly a good of a base as wrestling (1) or BJJ (2).

I agree, but I would add Sanshou in there too.

i wouldn

Last edited:
Serkan Yilmaz was a pretty good TKD based fighter, I don't actually know what his TKD credentials were but he had some epic spinning kicks. Here he is in K1 Max against Masato (who later on got destroyed by Buakaw in the final). I think it's safe to say that Serkan would have easily got destroyed by Buakaw.

I meant as opposed to going into MMA from a wrestling or BJJ background. The majority of MMA elite come from a wrestling or BJJ background, and become proficient in striking, as opposed to competing at a stand-up only art at a high level, the learning the rest.

I disagree. The reason a lot of elite MMA fighters have a wrestling or BJJ background is because the majority of MMA fighters are from USA where you learn wrestling at school/college, and Brazil where obviously BJJ is huge. It's not because striking is less good of a base than wrestling or BJJ, you have a ton of guys who started with striking and are now at the top of the UFC: Benson Henderson, Anthony Pettis, GSP, Anderson Silva, Alexander Gustafsson, Lyoto Machida, Shogun, etc.

Here's my take on TKD

There are a few kicks and techniques that are very powerful and end up leading to KO's if they land but the rest of the system is so incomplete that it's very weak in comparison to other disciplines.

I'll be more specific. Every time the TKD guys throw those huge kicks they end up being off balance and either fall on the ground or could easily be countered hard. They use a very high risk high reward style where they appear to go for broke which ends up with some pretty nice highlight reels but would also lead to a lot of huge losses as well. When I watch those videos it's akin to a boxer going out and throwing nothing but huge bombs. He's going to finish some guys in devastating fashion but he's also going to gas and get finished a lot. Heavy kicks take a lot out of you. It takes a lot of energy to throw kicks with that much power your legs are your biggest muscle group. If you notice in most of the highlight TKD videos the KO usually comes within the first few seconds and I never see a fight go more than a round. I'm not saying they don't exist just that I would expect TKD fighters to fall off hard after the first round or two.

In those videos I also see no punches to the face being thrown at all. There appear to be a few inadvertent shots thrown by one of the MT guys and the ref has to check the TKD guy to make sure he's ok but that's it. Not sure on the rules but it appears the TDK guys are fighting knowing they are not going to take huge counter punches to the face which allows them to fight with their hands down and just focus on throwing those huge kicks. I would never ever attempt to land those huge kicks on the streets even if I could throw them with as much power and speed as these TKD guys.

Finally even though TKD like most traditional martial arts is very incomplete that doesn't mean that you don't take the best from it or that there is nothing to learn. Throwing nothing but axe kicks and powerful spinning heal kicks would be dumb but mixing those into traditional boxing and low kicks could be very devastating.

Do you know in what competition was this? Could they strike the head?

It is from the Seido kaikan (a kyokushin karate offshot) world cup 1993. About the same time that Kazuyoshi Ishii (former kyokushin fighter and founder of seidokaikan) branched out and founded K-1.
The rules is more or less kyokushin, with the exception that in the case of draw after normal time, they put on gloves and allowed headpunching in extension rounds. That didnt happen in this fight between a Japanese ITF national champion (whose name I dont remember) and MT legend Kiatsongrit. It did happen in the final between Hug and Satake, though.
Hug vs Satake bareknuckle karate rounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_-ADtI4Exg
Hug vs Satake glove rounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu8WEdHAqmM

I disagree. The reason a lot of elite MMA fighters have a wrestling or BJJ background is because the majority of MMA fighters are from USA where you learn wrestling at school/college, and Brazil where obviously BJJ is huge. It's not because striking is less good of a base than wrestling or BJJ, you have a ton of guys who started with striking and are now at the top of the UFC: Benson Henderson, Anthony Pettis, GSP, Anderson Silva, Alexander Gustafsson, Lyoto Machida, Shogun, etc.

Disagreement noted. Menstruate on it all you want, the numbers bear me out, and you know it. Make whatever excuse for it you wish. Bendo wrestled in HS and college BTW.

...Heavy kicks take a lot out of you. It takes a lot of energy to throw kicks with that much power your legs are your biggest muscle group. If you notice in most of the highlight TKD videos the KO usually comes within the first few seconds and I never see a fight go more than a round. I'm not saying they don't exist just that I would expect TKD fighters to fall off hard after the first round or two...

this is a very valid and accurate point. i

well...aside from Pettis/Gustafsson, all of those guys have great wrestling or BJJ. its not like we're talking about Yodsanklai or Canelo fighting in MMA or something.

Back