Muay Thai Gym Q&A

Thanks! Is the surrounding area nice?

Its quiet. Its actually outside Chiang Mai 30 minutes in San Kamphaeng. Not a lot of other westerners around. Great area if you just want to focus on Muay Thai and relax. There are small buses and Tuk Tuks that head into Chaing Mai pretty frequently if you want to go into the city with out riding a scooter. Visited some really nice hot springs a more rural area nearby as well.

Gym is run by a Westerner and his Thai wife so its clean and organized. Training was great but I felt like a beginner going there the first few days. Like all different areas or even gyms they want you to to do things their way.

Depending on what geographical area you come from you may want to bring a long sleeve shirt or two for the mornings. I was there in Dec. coming from Rocky Mountain winters so the 70 degree mornings felt amazing. But the skinny Thais and some other foreigners were dressed like they were expecting snow.

Last edited:
Its quiet. Its actually outside Chiang Mai 30 minutes in San Kamphaeng. Not a lot of other westerners around. Great area if you just want to focus on Muay Thai and relax. There are small buses and Tuk Tuks that head into Chaing Mai pretty frequently if you want to go into the city with out riding a scooter. Visited some really nice hot springs a more rural area nearby as well.

Gym is run by a Westerner and his Thai wife so its clean and organized. Training was great but I felt like a beginner going there the first few days. Like all different areas or even gyms they want you to to do things their way.

Depending on what geographical area you come from you may want to bring a long sleeve shirt or two for the mornings. I was there in Dec. coming from Rocky Mountain winters so the 70 degree mornings felt amazing. But the skinny Thais and some other foreigners were dressed like they were expecting snow.
Thanks a bunch for the detailed answer! Last question: do they do pads every session? From their own website, they seem to only do it once every day versus once every session

Thanks a bunch for the detailed answer! Last question: do they do pads every session? From their own website, they seem to only do it once every day versus once every session

Ya if I remember right that seems true. Mornings were focused on a lot of technique and bag work. I hadnt trained for 8 months and it was the first stop of a 5 month trip so I skipped a lot of the morning sessions. I left Santai for Phuket and regretted not staying at Santai for longer.

so it's confirmed, i'm going to train in thailand for a month departing brisbane on the 24th jan. my coach pointed me to fairtex pattaya so that's where i will be training, he trains there every year. i will mostly be doing muay thai with a bit of mma and bjj in there as well. i plan to have my first muay thai fight near the end of my trip, i think i'm due for one. about me, i've been doing muay thai for 5-6 years, bjj for 5 and some mma and stand-up wrestling. i've been a bjj blue belt for over 3 years now and have been in quite a few comps. i've just never competed in striking. i do pretty well at sparring since i have trained in thailand before. pattaya is near my family so it's in a convinient location and is within my budget, i'm staying at a cheap hotel/apartment for a month so that frees up my budget a bit. my coach is an mma coach and a bjj brown belt.

Ya if I remember right that seems true. Mornings were focused on a lot of technique and bag work. I hadnt trained for 8 months and it was the first stop of a 5 month trip so I skipped a lot of the morning sessions. I left Santai for Phuket and regretted not staying at Santai for longer.
Sounds good! Will be booking my spot there very soon - thanks for all your help!

So last time I went to thailand I trained at Sitjaopho in Hua Hin, Ramba Somdete in Pattaya and FA Group in Bangkok.
But, I did not once go to the beach or anything else than training.
This time around I would like to train but also experience the beaches and beautiful spots of the south of Thailand.
I am a big guy, 193cm and 100kg, so although I prefer smaller gym, I can't really go to a mostly thai fighters oriented gym, but I have absolutely no interest in going to camps like Sinbi or Tiger.
Here are the places I've been thinking of.
Singpatong Sitnumnoi: It would be my first choice but it's in Patong and the night life thing does not interest me at all.
Yodyut Muay Thai: Seems legit. Price are fair and seems like a good location.
Sinlapa formerly Kaewphitak : In Phuket, also seem legit, good location.
Phuket Fight Club
Phuket King
I would really appreciate advice and comments.
Thank you

So last time I went to thailand I trained at Sitjaopho in Hua Hin, Ramba Somdete in Pattaya and FA Group in Bangkok.
But, I did not once go to the beach or anything else than training.
This time around I would like to train but also experience the beaches and beautiful spots of the south of Thailand.
I am a big guy, 193cm and 100kg, so although I prefer smaller gym, I can't really go to a mostly thai fighters oriented gym, but I have absolutely no interest in going to camps like Sinbi or Tiger.
Here are the places I've been thinking of.
Singpatong Sitnumnoi: It would be my first choice but it's in Patong and the night life thing does not interest me at all.
Yodyut Muay Thai: Seems legit. Price are fair and seems like a good location.
Sinlapa formerly Kaewphitak : In Phuket, also seem legit, good location.
Phuket Fight Club
Phuket King
I would really appreciate advice and comments.
Thank you

Pot Bunpot runs/owns? Phuket King. Hes a bigger Thai and a master clincher. Ive had friends train there with him since he was their trainer at Sinbi when he was head trainer there. They had good things to say about the gym other than the location is in Phuket town.

Absolute MMA took over the old Lion Muay Thai location. Has smaller classes, seems to always be bigger westerers to train with there, and is in a good location.

What about Rawai Muay Thai just north of Phuket in Khao Lak? Beautiful beaches. Not hectic and overcrowded like on Phuket.

Thanks for the advice.
I think I will head to Koh Samui, but I am giving some thoughts to Rawai.

I’m looking to start going on training holidays to Thailand for up to a month at a time. I love the idea of the training packages where food, accommodation and unlimited training is included. I will be going with the missus so not looking for any hardcore/ego driven places just somewhere in a nice area to relax in the sun and train couple times a day.

I have a massive preference on normal boxing (western boxing) and have seen some gyms that offer this but looking for recommendations on places with plenty of western boxing classes and tuition and not 100% Muay Thai only can someone recommend some places?

Last edited:
I’m looking to start going on training holidays to Thailand for up to a month at a time. I love the idea of the training packages where food, accommodation and unlimited training is included.

I have a massive preference on normal boxing (western boxing) and have seen some gyms that offer this but looking for recommendations on places with plenty of western boxing classes and tuition and not 100% Muay Thai only can someone recommend some places?
Fairtex Muay Thai in Pattaya is good. Say in the north grandne centre point is good hotel for you and the wife, has a mall to. Say out of the bars or you wont go back to the gym or worst you will go drunk and get nothing from it.

Fairtex Muay Thai in Pattaya is good. Say in the north grandne centre point is good hotel for you and the wife, has a mall to. Say out of the bars or you wont go back to the gym or worst you will go drunk and get nothing from it.

Thank you very much I’ve never come across that place on searches yet. Yeah we are not going to drink and party this is a healthy training holiday we have other holidays planned for drinking. Actually looking forward to getting some sun while not undoing months of training cause drinking and eating crap everyday.

have you personally been to Fairtex in Pattaya?

Hey guys, first post here.

I am looking to go to Yodyut for a month over March/April, but then started wondering whether there were other countries that I could spend 4 weeks and train where it might be cooler weather and I could learn the language.

I spotted a thread on here about best camps outside of Thailand, but haven't been able to find it again on the search - anyone remember? Or got any recommendations for gyms in France/Spain/South America?

Or should I just cut the crap and go Yodyut/Lamai?

Hey guys, first post here.

I am looking to go to Yodyut for a month over March/April, but then started wondering whether there were other countries that I could spend 4 weeks and train where it might be cooler weather and I could learn the language.

I spotted a thread on here about best camps outside of Thailand, but haven't been able to find it again on the search - anyone remember? Or got any recommendations for gyms in France/Spain/South America?

Or should I just cut the crap and go Yodyut/Lamai?
Chuto boxe Sao Paulo Brazil, I didn't have the time to go but it's good so I've heard.

Thinking about training in Thailand next year after I visit my Relatives in Indonesia hopefully once this Covid stuff dies down a bit.

I have only been boxing so basically no experience with kicks at all, any gyms you would suggest for a complete beginner.
Had a friend of mine legkick and Body punch me yesterday and the girls is like 60lbs lighter than me but after like the 7th Legkick my shit started to hurt.
So I would like a Gym that gives you some good conditioning, but please no high end overpriced stuff since I am kinda on a budget.

I’m looking to start going on training holidays to Thailand for up to a month at a time. I love the idea of the training packages where food, accommodation and unlimited training is included. I will be going with the missus so not looking for any hardcore/ego driven places just somewhere in a nice area to relax in the sun and train couple times a day.

Go somewhere in Phuket.

Tiger, Phuket Top Team etc. There are about 5 gyms on the same street. I wouldn't go to Pattaya as suggested as it is filled with sex tourists and whores, unless you and your mrs are into threesomes !

Also I wouldn't go with the food / accommodation packages, I did for the first week and it was a mistake.

For example , $100 aussie per week for the accomodation at the camp, no tv, no aircon (just a fan), and only food from their restaurant, not that good.

Next week, same money, a 1 minute walk, had flatscreen, wifi, ice cold aircon, and the restaurants are all a small walk and way better value and better food.

As for the training, I usually did wake up, walk to little fruit juice stall near my house, have delicious fresh squeezed juice, train 2.5 hours, eat, sleep, wake up, train afternoon, dinner, movie bed.

Make sure if you are injured you take a few days off, your body will adapt after 2 weeks anyway, I have never had a better six pack than this time in my life :)

Does anyone know how easy it is for foreigners to enter thailand to train Muay Thai right now?

Does anyone know how easy it is for foreigners to enter thailand to train Muay Thai right now?
pretty hard i'd imagine, going to thailand will probably be a pipedream for me for a while, it'll be ages before they let australians travel abroad again

Depends on your length of stay. Theres currently a 14 day quarantine and a few other hoops to jump through for tourists. For some people 14 days is their entire trip. If youre going to stay there for 3 months Id put up with the quarantine.

If things were to magically go back to normal next fall at the start of tourist season. And you just wanted to concentrate on training and the beauty of Thailand. Id try to go right now before its ruined again. The beaches and sites are empty. Gyms are hurting for foreigners so youd get a lot of attention. Not a million Chinese people in the way. Only down side would be if you wanted to fight.

Last edited:
Back