Muay thai belt system

Just curious since Rafael Cordeiro came up. Does anyone here believe the Thais respect him and his muay Thai as legitimate?

Just curious since Rafael Cordeiro came up. Does anyone here believe the Thais respect him and his muay Thai as legitimate?

The country of Thailand, the Muay Thai fighters as an embodiment... who exactly?

He isn't a top tier Muay Thai practitioner because he focused on other martial arts, namely he's also a Brazilian Jujitsu black belt. His value is training how you would use Muay Thai in a mixed martial art environment.

My old gym utilized colored arm bands because the owners (bjj guys) wanted the instructor to. It was incredibly silly, and when yhat instructor opened up his own gym that was the end of it.

I would say Rafael is a competent Muay Thai teacher and you can definitely learn a lot from him. I personally believe that you need to have fought in lumpinee to be a great Muay Thai instructor.

Would be interesting to go to a belt gym as a new student to the gym but old to the fight game. Start off as a white belt acting like you don't have a clue and then just let it all out after a month. You'll be a prodigy.

i could ask many friends who he is, they will not know him.
i cant even think of that armenian fighters name who won k1.

It's a Chute Boxe thing. They basically apply a TKD belt system to their muay thai training program.

People - this is a rip off!

For a limited time I'm offering a 'Professor of Muay Thai' Certificate from the E-University of Fightology for only $150.00 AUS and I'll throw in a black belt for free.
(PayPal option available).

Can I get a Rex Kwan Do certification as well?

I've always found that the people most concerned with someone else's belts are just insecure and afraid that they aren't being appreciated for how bad ass they are.

"This instructor organizing a curriculum by color so he can keep track of people, and students happy they are advancing through it! That's not Muay Thai! They should know they are humble maggots until they win a fight on TV! Only people who have accomplished what either I or my teacher have accomplished (could be anything) have earned the right to rub it in other people's faces."

In real life, people I know who are actually bad asses, don't care about, nor do they have anything to say about, karate belts. They all got their black belts in like 3 years and then kept doing martial arts for a decade or two after that. Worrying about some karate or muay thai teacher giving out pats on the back in public for taking up a new hobby during the first couple of years is beneath them.

My old gym utilized colored arm bands because the owners (bjj guys) wanted the instructor to. It was incredibly silly, and when yhat instructor opened up his own gym that was the end of it.

I really like the idea of arm bands instead of belt because a belt looks so silly without the rest of the Japanese outfit, but I just can't imagine putting on a black arm band for anything less than someone important dying.

Did you wear a black arm band when they shot the man who said, "peace could last forever?"

The problem with the using the armband as a ranking is that it is a religious item. Why not use a colored crucifix as a ranking system?

Only belt I'm concerned with is one that comes with the word "Champion" attached to it.

There are NO belts in Muay Thai. Any gym offering belts in Muay Thai is fooling you. End of story.

many legit kickboxing gyms has a belt/colour grade system.
Many of those gyms that add Muay thai to the curriculum keeps the "belt" (usually more of a diploma) aspect even if it is just a fictitious system to separate beginners from advanced classes.
Im not saying it is a good thing. but it is not uncommon.

If the coaches/instructors are good at their job and teaching the right things, who cares if they use a belt system or not? The important thing is the instruction and if the coach feels that using belt rankings helps him organize how he teaches, who are we to complain?

I understand that it can serve as a goal...but if that belt is the primary goal than it's sort of like getting a college degree but having a GPA of 2.0. I would rather focus on each course--truly learn the material--and have THAT as my reward for all my time and effort. The paper and the belt are just that....a paper...and a belt. Worse yet the belt doesn't even really hold up your pants!!!!

I see what your saying but wouldnt use the comparison to a college degree. I graduated with a 2.5 which I am not proud of but I had A's and B's in my degree focus and got the lower grades in subjects that really had no real application to what I was studying. There is no real reason to have to learn history before the 1500s to get a degree in information systems. I like history in general but how it applies to my degree it was useless.

With a martial art I would say pretty much everything is related unlike a college degree can be.

It's for people that are afraid/too lazy to fight.
So how good are you at Muay Thai?
I'm motherfuckin black belt bitch!
when the answer should really be...

From what I remember in the Philippines although it's not Muay Thai but (but a close resemblance of the style).

You receive a scarification of their insignia if you achieve their highest rank.

Back