Muay thai belt system

thesnowman

White Belt
Reaction score
I didn't think it had a traditional one like say bjj or judo. But I read werdum has a black belt in it

Lol cant say ive seen a thai boxer wear a belt unless it was to hold up his jeans !!

Some gyms (outside of thailand) do have their own grading systems with coloured arm bands (prajiad) but there's nothing official its more like western boxing, achievement measured by number of fights and who you fought !

It's unusual, but some Muay Thai gyms (and I'd say with a fair amount of certainty that they're all outside of thailand) do have belt systems. It's a little bit of a gimmick to give people a greater sense of accomplishment for rising in the ranks

It's neither traditional but some gyms (mostly outside of Thailand) have ranking systems based on coloured prajiouds, coloured shorts, and coloured belts (even though Muay Thai shorts don't need belts to stay up).

It's neither traditional but some gyms (mostly outside of Thailand) have ranking systems based on coloured prajiouds, coloured shorts, and coloured belts (even though Muay Thai shorts don't need belts to stay up).

Mostly outside of Thailand? I would say exclusively. I highly doubt you will find even 1 gym in Thailand with a belt system

It's unusual, but some Muay Thai gyms (and I'd say with a fair amount of certainty that they're all outside of thailand) do have belt systems. It's a little bit of a gimmick to give people a greater sense of accomplishment for rising in the ranks

Hey, anyone can regurgitate facts from the wiki. But let's set the record straight here: cordeiro is no 'world reknowned' muay thai fighter. The guy supposedly took one title in Brazil in muay thai. Supposedly.

All of his pro fights were under in vale tudo fashion. 6 professional fights and he lost 2 of them. Some record. IMHO he is in no way qualified to be handing out black belt's for muay thai. It is irrelevant to me that he's schooled some top MMA guys in the art, as I am relatively unimpressed with most muay thai I see in the octagon anyway.

If a thai stadium champ winner was handing out black belts then hey, maybe I'd take that a bit more seriously. Or if it was for a children's program, then yeah, I could understand the belt thing for encouragement and accomplishment. But for a professional trainer with absolutely unproven background in the sport to be doing that is just lame.

Do you have any sources that discredit his Muay Thai championship?

I said he was world renown in MMA. Regardless of what you think of Mixed Martial Artists 'hands' he seems to be teaching them MT that wins them Pride and UFC championships.

So you believe only a thai stadium champ can hand out belts? interesting.

I think it's a Chuteboxe thing

i've never really understood why people get so into what belt they are.

Muay thai does NOT work in belts. I think its a brasilian only thing. No thai people recognize belts

The belt system:

2739181023_e2f8b65b01.jpg

samart-payakaroon.jpg

Its still very confusing however. Because I'd rather have the skills of the guy with only 3 belts than 5.

In Australia they have / had a singlet system for Muay Thai via BJC. white, blue, green, etc. It was like an organizational thing, clubs that operated via the BJC org would use it. Just as a ranking / sense of accomplishment sort of thing. Operated pretty much like a karate belt system with grading and shit.

Most fight gyms i know of dont / didn't bother with it. TBH i dont even know if it's still around.

In Australia they have / had a singlet system for Muay Thai via BJC. white, blue, green, etc. It was like an organizational thing, clubs that operated via the BJC org would use it. Just as a ranking / sense of accomplishment sort of thing. Operated pretty much like a karate belt system with grading and shit.

Most fight gyms i know of dont / didn't bother with it. TBH i dont even know if it's still around.

Honestly, I think belt ranking serves nothing but as an annoyance for people that want to just train.

I don't use them, regardless of what I'm teaching. It's about the skill you possess, not the rank.

Unless you're doing it for kids as a motivator, adults really shouldn't have a need or desire.

Around 1979 Nelio Naja, who was a tkd blackbelt himself, taught muay thai (which he learn from some mysterious dude) to a couple other tkd blackbelts (Luiz Alves, Rudimar Fedrigo, etc)

I believe that Nelio just created some hybrid of tkd + boxe to call muay thai =p

but I can be wrong

Around 1979 Nelio Naja, who was a tkd blackbelt himself, taught muay thai (which he learn from some mysterious dude) to a couple other tkd blackbelts (Luiz Alves, Rudimar Fedrigo, etc)

I believe that Nelio just created some hybrid of tkd + boxe to call muay thai =p

but I can be wrong

They learned it from a cartoon.

Back